Heat Gun Works On Faded Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn't need to put a clear over the Fusion. You can if you want to. The main thing, like anything else, is prep. Make sure they are clean of everything and paint away!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 PM
yea, I washed them up, then cleaned them with a moderate laqer thinner to remove a couple grease spots, let it dry and it went on smooth and looks good, thanks for the advise.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:41 PM
Just one of those things mere man is not meant to understand.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:07 AM
I was reading a bunch of articles and websites talking about restoring faded black plastic trim. A few places talked about using a heat gun. And it was the least liked method. There are several comparisons of aftermarket black restoring products. A couple seemed to be the longest lasting, but also more expensive. The most effective method seems to be painting.

The bed rails on my F150 are faded and spotty. They look really bad. I don't want to paint, but it might be the best option.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Thumbs up

IIRC I have heard of the heat gun method...but I also heard it does not last.
I have achieved good long lasting results using a two product combo to restore black.

1st product - This puts the black back in the trim (It is not an oily consumer product)
Shine Supply Trim Coat Black
This contains a black dye and is somewhere between a black dressing & restoration product.
I use a foam wax applicator (be sure to wear rubber gloves) and apply thin and smooth.
You can use multiple coats but I would wait 12-24 hours hours before layering another coat.
Be sure and apply smooth and even as (in some cases) it can look streaky if applied improperly.

2nd Product - This seals the Shine Supply Black Trim Coat for longevity and durability.
CQuartz Dlux Wheel & Trim Coating
Dlux works fine by itself if the trim is not too faded. If it's faded use Shine Supply Trim Coat Black first.
Be sure and wait 12-24 hours after applying Shine Supply Trim Coat before applying Carpro CQuartz Dlux.
Again, Apply Dlux in thin even coats. I think of Dlux and a trim sealer. It will harden. Apply light and smooth.

Short Version:
Shine Supply Trim Coat Black - The black dye in the product makes faded trim black.
Carpro CQuartz Dlux - Seals the Black Trim Coat for longevity and can add shine.

Name:  DryShineTrim2-.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  DryShineTrim1-.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  61.6 KB
These a both professional products. They are not Wal-Mart style consumer products.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The heat gun trick works on black, not sure about gray. I tried it years ago on my son's old Jeep's black trim and door handles, actually worked but didn't last more than a couple of weeks. We tried about everything you can find at a decent price and the only thing we learned was once you start with a product you have to keep using it over and over again..........

Old 01-02-2017, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Dog'em
The heat gun trick works on black, not sure about gray. I tried it years ago on my son's old Jeep's black trim and door handles, actually worked but didn't last more than a couple of weeks.

We tried about everything you can find at a decent price and the only thing we learned was once you start with a product you have to keep using it over and over again..........
For Grey - Shine Supply Trim Coat Gray

Unlike most trim "dressing" products...when you coat your "finished product" with DLux "coating" I've easily seen up to a year durability.

...and yes, most auto-parts (consumer) products are designed so consumers can't screw it up. made for ease of use and no longevity.

In Short: Easy to use, looks good when done and idiot proof,..and yes, they want you to keep buying. They love to sell "renewables".

Wanna have some real fun? I have used DLux in an air brush and sprayed it on tires. A great satin look...and talk about longevity!
What's really kewl about using an air brush??? Unlike a wipe on tire dressing you can get in all those tiny sidewall lines & grooves.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dang guys 7 years and this thread is still going

I dont miss that Xterra at all!

Old 01-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlin
For Grey - Shine Supply Trim Coat Gray

Unlike most trim "dressing" products...when you coat your "finished product" with DLux "coating" I've easily seen up to a year durability.

...and yes, most auto-parts (consumer) products are designed so consumers can't screw it up. made for ease of use and no longevity.

In Short: Easy to use, looks good when done and idiot proof,..and yes, they want you to keep buying. They love to sell "renewables".

Wanna have some real fun? I have used DLux in an air brush and sprayed it on tires. A great satin look...and talk about longevity!
What's really kewl about using an air brush??? Unlike a wipe on tire dressing you can get in all those tiny sidewall lines & grooves.
Merlin, Do you use anyhing else Shine Supply? I found out about them 6 months or so ago and really interested in their products. Joined their FB group and usually blown away by the pics. Really want to try some of their stuff but its hard to get away from what i am using now since it has worked very well.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Merlin, Do you use anyhing else Shine Supply?
I've used Shine Supply Flat Top...it's pretty good.

Quick Reply: Heat Gun Works On Faded Plastic