Cleaning Aluminum in Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2000, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning Aluminum in Engine

Spring is coming, and I want to give my truck a good cleaning,I washed the engine already,but the aluminum intake and alternater are really dull. Does anyone know a way to shine them up, it really makes the compartment look like hell.? Thanks for the information.

------------------
Gino Tedesco, '99 XLT 5.4l, SUPERCHIPPED, 3" Gibson catback exhaust,4x4 S/C Flareside D.wedge bl/Dk.graph, factory sidesteps & Tonneau cover, Manik grlgaurd w/Piaa lights, 305/70-16 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires
http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/s...916/index.html

Old 03-13-2000, 05:30 PM
Talking

I use:

409 first. Spritz the hell out of a warm engine, and then hose it off, being careful not to get any vital components wet.

Bon Ami second. Won't scratch and leaves a nice shine behind.

------------------
Ninety-niner F-150 XLT, 5.4 Triton (no slap!)
4x4, Class III Tow, Oxford White and sooooo clean. :o)

Old 03-14-2000, 12:09 AM
Oh man, I'm not too sure you should be spritzing the alternator with 409 and washing it off with water.

I think all you can do is take a stiff dry brush to it.

If you're really **** about this, I'm sure you could disassemble the alternator and clean the case. Maybe even send it out to be anodized? Same with the intake.

Old 03-16-2000, 02:41 PM
Well there should not be any problems with hosing off your engine. I've done it for years, first of my Taurus and now on my F150. The engines are designed to be semi-water proof. In fact, it better for the engine to be clean. A clean engine can dissipate heat faster and more efficiently than a dirty engine.

If you're going to do it, here's my recommendation. Wait until the engine is cool, don't spray a hot engine with water. Probably not good to cool the hot engine block like that. Second, DON'T use high pressure water. Many of the seals are not going to withstand high pressure water, just a soft spray of water is all you want. Lastly, I usually wait several hours before starting the engine. That gives it some time to drip dry. Also, don't be surprised if you get some noises on first startup. The wet belts usually squeal for a few seconds.

Brian Friesen

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, fog lamps, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, bug guard, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 04-13-2000, 10:45 AM
btr
If you have a Dremel or rotary tool, you can get a polishing brush or soft wire wheel and use that. I've been using it on some of the parts on the engine I'm rebuilding. Make sure it is a soft small bristle brush. The thicker brass brushes may scratch.
<marquee>
SHINY!!!
</marquee>

Old 04-20-2000, 10:36 PM
Exclamation

A very important item you all missed was engine finish. Before you clean your engine go to your nearest retail outlet and pickup some sort of engine finish (it's like an oil) and after the engine dries spray it all over it to protect it from rusting and other elements!!!

Quick Reply: Cleaning Aluminum in Engine