Meguiar's Swirl X...good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hwm3
Swirl X by hand is doing almost no actual paint correction. Most of what it is doing is concealing the swirls, along with the NXT.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is what I do. I have used Swirl X, and know it's capabilities. True paint correction on a black truck just isn't gonna happen with Swirl X by hand.
Then the fact that something so simple renders a professional job unnecessary must scare you to death. I would talk bad about it too!

Old 02-21-2010, 03:03 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You are hiding, not fixing. If it looks good to you, that's what counts.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Then the fact that something so simple renders a professional job unnecessary must scare you to death. I would talk bad about it too!
I'm sorry I tried to help you. I should have expected this kind of response from you.

Trust me, Megs Swirl X isn't putting a dent in my business. My clients pay me to remove paint defects, not hide them.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:44 PM
The problem with your method of "removing paint defects" is that every time you do it, the clearcoat on that car gets a little thinner. If I can hide the swirls for a while and keep from having someone cut into my finish, then I am happy. A bad detail shop can do more harm than good.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
The problem with your method of "removing paint defects" is that every time you do it, the clearcoat on that car gets a little thinner. If I can hide the swirls for a while and keep from having someone cut into my finish, then I am happy. A bad detail shop can do more harm than good.
Are you questioning the quality of my work?

You have some serious self esteem issues. Good luck with your swirls.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by hwm3
Are you questioning the quality of my work?

You have some serious self esteem issues. Good luck with your swirls.
Nope, I don't know you and I don't know your work. I just know of any shops in the area that I would trust with my truck. A lot of detailers seem pretty shady, so I steer clear. If you know of any in the Nashville area, I'd be glad to give them a call to get some estimates when i am ready. As far as my self esteem, I think you're a little off base there. Since you don't know me, and you're obviously no psychologist, I wouldn't expect much more from you. You are only a car detailer, after all.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
^word dude id rather pay 7 bucks for a scratch x bottle

then pay some detailer hundreds of dollars when theyre probably gunna screw it up worse.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Hah, to each their own.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:32 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You are insulting one of the highest regarded professional detailers on this forum. I'd advise you to quit while you are ahead, Freeky and Chevyman.

I can count on one hand the people who I will allow to touch my truck, and he's one of them. If you have never seen his work, shut your pie holes.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:28 AM
were not doubting your company, im sure your one of the best and do a fantastic job.

were saying as a whole detailers can be shady and the results are questionable if you cant find a good one.

i think he is just trying to share an affordable alternative for people to get swirls out of their truck who are your casual everyday person and dont need their truck to be show quality.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:37 AM
Originally Posted by chevyman96
were not doubting your company, im sure your one of the best and do a fantastic job.

were saying as a whole detailers can be shady and the results are questionable if you cant find a good one.

i think he is just trying to share an affordable alternative for people to get swirls out of their truck who are your casual everyday person and dont need their truck to be show quality.
Exactly. Thanks chevyman96! As I stated before, I don't know him. I don't know what kind of work he does. I don't even know if he is a he. I never commented on his work or his knowledge.

My truck looks better than it did. I am not entering any shows, and I get a ton of compliments on my truck. I am truly happy with the results. That's all I was trying to tell everyone, but some people have to force their opinions on others. The product worked well. It may not be "detailer-approved", but it is owner-approved.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Freeky, you came here asking for help, and that is all I tried to do. There was no reason for you to take shots at me, or my business.

Nobody here said your truck didn't look good, or didn't get compliments. What we were trying to do is help you to make it look better. That's what I do.

If you would listen more and learn a few things there are people that come to the forum, at least there used to be, that can help you take the paint on your truck to the next level. Attacking those people with comments about simple over the counter products making their services unnecessary isn't going to help you.

There is a level of paint clarity and gloss only achieveable by use of a machine, proper chemicals/pads, and proper technique. That is all we were trying to tell you here. Again, no need for the personal attacks.

All that being said, I'd be happy to help you if you are interested in learning more.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:00 PM
just picked up a bottle of swirl x in sale for $4.00. question is you say it cover's and not removes. is it just filling in the swirls? i wanted to try this first since it is less aggressive that the megs. ultimate compound that i also have. but i don't want to wear out my arm and shoulder using swirl x if it isn't going to really do anything. i know i should get a DA one of these day's.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
As far as I know, the original Scratch X only filled. Not sure on the v. 2.0 but I'm guessing it does something similar, with maybe a little bit of correcting?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:17 PM
esf
Originally Posted by bogeyrider63
just picked up a bottle of swirl x in sale for $4.00. question is you say it cover's and not removes. is it just filling in the swirls? i wanted to try this first since it is less aggressive that the megs. ultimate compound that i also have. but i don't want to wear out my arm and shoulder using swirl x if it isn't going to really do anything. i know i should get a DA one of these day's.
Regardless of what product you use by hand for correction, your arms, shoulders, and back are all going to hurt.

Using products by hand can remove defects but to do an entire vehicle is crazy time consuming and is incredibly hard on your body. Rarely ever will you get the same results as with a machine and certainly not anywhere near the same time frame. Time wise you're talking days versus hours to properly break down products. Spot treating is one thing. An entire vehicle? Not this guy! I won't even do a whole panel.

If your method works for you then thats great. Just make sure when you recommend it to others that you inform them that they're hiding defects and not correcting them. Just make sure they have all the facts so they can make an educated decision when it comes to their vehicles.

Also, don't knock professional detailers if you haven't PERSONALLY experienced their work. There are some out there that really do phenomenal work. In most cases, a big part of their business is by word of mouth. There are a lot of hack job professionals out there that really give the profession a bad name and that makes it hard enough on the good ones. Don't make it worse.

Quick Reply: Meguiar's Swirl X...good or bad?