Road Salt!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAM AIR
I could careless if it snows or not. Come winter, I throw my other rims & tires on. I didn't spend all that money just to ruin them. If that was the case. Why bother to buy rims. I mean really, who goes out, an buys a set of rims. Just to let them go, why bother.
That's a very good point. I'm personally a very low maintenance guy. To be honest, I never realized how much maintenance the aftermarkets were going to be until after I bought them. I've been comparing to the maintenance I've performed on my factory wheels, which was basically none.

I'd hate to think I bought new wheels just to keep them off the truck for 4 months out of the year. I might end up having to do just that though if necessary. But then again, I've talked to tons of people with aftermarkets who've put their wheels through years of abuse with very minimal damage, if any.....and nothing some polishing won't fix. I hope that ends up being the case for me.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by bigsur
That's a very good point. I'm personally a very low maintenance guy. To be honest, I never realized how much maintenance the aftermarkets were going to be until after I bought them. I've been comparing to the maintenance I've performed on my factory wheels, which was basically none.

I'd hate to think I bought new wheels just to keep them off the truck for 4 months out of the year. I might end up having to do just that though if necessary. But then again, I've talked to tons of people with aftermarkets who've put their wheels through years of abuse with very minimal damage, if any.....and nothing some polishing won't fix. I hope that ends up being the case for me.
Honestly, I get what your saying. I too personally hate having them off for 4 months also. As far as maintenance. I see it this way. I'd rather take the 15-20 minutes it takes to switch them out, compared to the hours of polishing it would take to bring them back to the way they were , IF I had taken that 15-20 minutes! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying how you do things is wrong. I know just how corrosive the road salt can be. Learned that from the current rims I'm running now. I mean, I knew how corrosive salt was then, but damn. I was on top of these rims, an still they went to crap. Plus, I use my truck during the winter months also for duck hunting, an depending on how the tides are. I'm half way in the river to drop the boat. So, I'm covered regardless. Hey, sometimes being on top of it, isn't enough. They just gotta come off, an replaced with something for those 4 months of the year. Cause I know when spring comes around, I want no pits, blemishes, etc., nothing. But, that's me!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Honestly, I get what your saying. I too personally hate having them off for 4 months also. As far as maintenance. I see it this way. I'd rather take the 15-20 minutes it takes to switch them out, compared to the hours of polishing it would take to bring them back to the way they were , IF I had taken that 15-20 minutes! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying how you do things is wrong. I know just how corrosive the road salt can be. Learned that from the current rims I'm running now. I mean, I knew how corrosive salt was then, but damn. I was on top of these rims, an still they went to crap. Plus, I use my truck during the winter months also for duck hunting, an depending on how the tides are. I'm half way in the river to drop the boat. So, I'm covered regardless. Hey, sometimes being on top of it, isn't enough. They just gotta come off, an replaced with something for those 4 months of the year. Cause I know when spring comes around, I want no pits, blemishes, etc., nothing. But, that's me!
You make great points all around, and I'll definitely be considering the switch each year.

Then again, it might be pointless where I live. I live on the coast where salt is in the air year round. I might be screwed regardless!!!!!

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by bigsur
You make great points all around, and I'll definitely be considering the switch each year.

Then again, it might be pointless where I live. I live on the coast where salt is in the air year round. I might be screwed regardless!!!!!

Thanks for the input.
Yea, your right. You're right next to Virginia Beach. But, I would think that would be different. The salts not actually sitting on the rims. I could be wrong, but your regular washing, cleaning & waxing would help with that.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Easy to solve this problem - buy wheels that are clearcoated. Then you can maintain them in exactly the same way you maintain your paint.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
last winter they put some ***** on the roads that rusted up the wheels and screwed up my clear coat, just on the driver side. i was pissed and i got the rims cleaned but the clear coat is still ******.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:00 PM
i try and put a coat of wax on my non coated aluminum wheels before a snow storm, helps out some what, then i try to keep them clean from there on thru the snow/salt. i put my stock wheels back on last year and we barely got any snow so i said what the heck and this year i didnt switch, i got lazy hahaha

RAM-AIR, where in Jersey are you located?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Easy to solve this problem - buy wheels that are clearcoated. Then you can maintain them in exactly the same way you maintain your paint.
Yup, I'm thinking about looking into someone that can clear coat the wheels for me.

BTW, I just took my truck to the wand wash and blasted my whole vehicle with soap and then a rinse, including the undercarriage. So far, no noticeable corrosion on the rims.

Honestly, I'm a pretty lazy guy when it comes to detailing my vehicle. I only do it a handful of times per year, but when I do...I go all the way. I actually just even bought a Meg's DA buffer for my paint. But with that said, I doubt I'll ever switch my wheels off in the winter. My plan is to at least "try" to keep a good coat of wax on them, especially in the winter....then polish periodically to remove any blemishes or spots. I can handle "some" defects from wear and tear, but if my intended efforts don't work well enough to live out my vehicle's life and my wheels just get ate up with corrosion, it'll be time to switch back to factory wheels....for good!!! I absolutely never thought this would be as much of a problem as it is...figured wheel companies these days would give you a product that can withstand normal wear an tear, especially reputable companies like American Racing. Salty roads in the winter IS normal W&T IMO.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by 4wd150
RAM-AIR, where in Jersey are you located?

South Jersey- Berlin area.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 PM
oh ok. thought i see your truck up aroudn where i am often but i guess not, must be a look alike

Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
I could careless if it snows or not. Come winter, I throw my other rims & tires on. I didn't spend all that money just to ruin them. If that was the case. Why bother to buy rims. I mean really, who goes out, an buys a set of rims. Just to let them go, why bother.
I can see your point, but you live in Jersey, where the weather is only nice five months out of the year. (May-September) Are you saying that your wheels are off the vehicle over half the year? Here in the south, we don't need snow tires. We don't change out our wheels in the winter. We may get one snowfall every year, and as long as you wash the vehicle shortly after it melts, you'll be fine. Growing up in PA, I know all about the rust belt. I sure am glad I don't live in it any more!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by 4wd150
oh ok. thought i see your truck up aroudn where i am often but i guess not, must be a look alike
Better not be a look alike! What part of Jersey you from?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
I can see your point, but you live in Jersey, where the weather is only nice five months out of the year. (May-September) Are you saying that your wheels are off the vehicle over half the year? Here in the south, we don't need snow tires. We don't change out our wheels in the winter. We may get one snowfall every year, and as long as you wash the vehicle shortly after it melts, you'll be fine. Growing up in PA, I know all about the rust belt. I sure am glad I don't live in it any more!

NO, not half the the year. Anymore we usual done get snow til almost Dec. Or get weather that requires salt. But, living in Jersey. They throw salt, when looking at a magazine with a snow scene in it. An then, it's 20 tons per square foot. Only Jersey. But, they go back on about the end of March, first week of April. I'm running Welds, an they're not made anymore, so I'll do whatever I need to do to take care of them.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
If you want to get long life out of your rims and protect them you could go to a powder coat shop and have them put clear powder coat on them. Then you don't have to worry about salt or anything else that will damage them.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Better not be a look alike! What part of Jersey you from?
lol its just the same color as yours and about the same height probably, and i dont think a flarside either so you got nothign to worry about . im in burlington county

Quick Reply: Road Salt!!!