Washing Your Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washing Your Trucks

Question for ya...

I have soft water in my house, and the previous owners put the softner in and then plumbed the entire house with soft water, even outside spickets. I know they say it is good to have soft water for appliances b/c it will be easier on the internals of them, but what about constantly washing your vehicle with soft water?

Should I plumb a line for outside that bypasses the softner? I washed my truck this past weekend, shined real nice, but a day later I noticed white residue that dried up on the truck, dry sodium from the water I beleive?

Over time, do you think this would damage my truck like winter driving/salt would?

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:33 AM
just be sure to dry your truck and you shouldnt get that...and hard water will leave water spots

Old 11-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Tuscon has the worst water in the world when it comes to leaving spots on the truck! I just have to make sure I get it completely dry or those d#@* spots sometimes have to be removed with a clay bar. It really stinks!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:40 AM
^ Agreed, I'd be more concerned with hard water.

Get yourself a QD (quick detailer) spray. After you're finished washing the truck, take the spray nozzle (if you're using one) off the hose and rinse the truck down starting from the top of the truck, allowing the water to form sheets as it runs down the truck. This will help get alot of the excess water off before you start drying.

As you dry, spray the QD on the truck before wiping it down with your drying towel. This should help with getting rid of any residue you may have.

- NCSU

Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like your water system is only half there. Around here I added a softener, AND a reverse osmosis filtration system. No spots, no haze. I do dry off quickly though as my garage is a woodshop as well, and wood dust tends to get into the water and stick to the truck if I don't dry it off. And yes I use a dust collection system, just some tools are easier to collect from than others...

Old 11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by dbhost
Sounds like your water system is only half there. Around here I added a softener, AND a reverse osmosis filtration system. No spots, no haze. I do dry off quickly though as my garage is a woodshop as well, and wood dust tends to get into the water and stick to the truck if I don't dry it off. And yes I use a dust collection system, just some tools are easier to collect from than others...
Thought about an RO system, but there expensive, or at least the ones I've priced

Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordbackwoods
Thought about an RO system, but there expensive, or at least the ones I've priced
Tell me about it... WELL worth the money if you have a bad water supply though.

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 PM
I use a chamois first and then follow with a drying towel

Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 PM
I am using a spot-free DI systems with a Metro Vacuum SK-1 Air Force Blaster to blow off the water. No spots/no scratches or dripping door handles/emblems. My truck has never been happier

Steve

Old 11-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by wayne r
I use a chamois first and then follow with a drying towel
A chamois can be dangerous due to the lack of nap.

absolute best process is:

- Sheet water off as mentioned above by using hose with no nozzle on it

- use an electric or battery powered blower to blow of the rest of the water, and get and drip areas

- blot the remaining water dry with a high quality waffle weave micro fiber towel.

if you don't have a blower, just skip that step, and go straight to the blotting .. don't rub dry.

Soft water is fine for the washing .. just make sure you are mixing your car shampoo according to the instructions.. too strong is bad.

a RO filter is a good investment, if you can swing it.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
A chamois can be dangerous due to the lack of nap.

absolute best process is:

- Sheet water off as mentioned above by using hose with no nozzle on it

- use an electric or battery powered blower to blow of the rest of the water, and get and drip areas

- blot the remaining water dry with a high quality waffle weave micro fiber towel.

if you don't have a blower, just skip that step, and go straight to the blotting .. don't rub dry.

Soft water is fine for the washing .. just make sure you are mixing your car shampoo according to the instructions.. too strong is bad.

a RO filter is a good investment, if you can swing it.
Did not know that....I will dump the chamois now...I'll try your method, kind of what I was leaning towards...and no...I don't follow the directions for how much soap to use in my mix...I will now. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Washing Your Trucks