Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems!

Brothers G35 has these light scratches/swirls all over the car! I can't remove them and thought I would post on here to see what you all have to say. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2009, 05:28 PM
esf
What have you tried so far? I just did a bit of research because I thought I remembered there being a stick under the hood on Infiniti's that said it has a hard clear coat but most people that have worked on them have stated otherwise regardless of the sticker being there ot not. So I found that 05s and earlier had horrible soft paint while the 06s went to a harder paint, however it seems the consensus is that it's still softer than most paints out there making it a bit finicky to work on. The 09s (G37) have what is called a self healing clearcoat. I have no idea what that is. I haven't had the opportunity to work on super soft paint. I don't know how well it would go by hand. By machine I would think starting with a mild polish and a soft pad would be a good way to start. I'm sure others who have experience will chime in. This may not be the best forum to find your answers sine most of the people here have experience with Ford paint.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:37 PM
I have tried a clay bar, polish and everything I could really get my hands on and its only reduced how much the swirls and scratches show. As for the front grill of the car nothing is working on the weird white specs. I just wanted to see if anyone on here maybe knew of something I could do before he goes and gets it professionally done. Thanks for the reply and researching for me.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 AM
The white specs are chips in the paint. Sorry.

As for the swirls that is an infiniti with very hard paint. You just need to get more aggressive to get the job done. It would help if you could tell us about the products you have used. also what pads or machines you have used.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by esf
The 09s (G37) have what is called a self healing clearcoat. I have no idea what that is.
Ive been looking at the G37 coupe x and from what im told the clear coat that heals is a gel type clear coat that mends it self when it gets small scratched. When the clear coat warms up with the sun it bleeds into the scratch there for healing its self. The FX models are suppose to have it already but my friends brand new M45x doesnt.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM
esf
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Ive been looking at the G37 coupe x and from what im told the clear coat that heals is a gel type clear coat that mends it self when it gets small scratched. When the clear coat warms up with the sun it bleeds into the scratch there for healing its self. The FX models are suppose to have it already but my friends brand new M45x doesnt.
It just seems like so many things can go wrong with that. Sounds like it would be extremely soft for one.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by esf
It just seems like so many things can go wrong with that. Sounds like it would be extremely soft for one.
It's a real pain in the ... to work on. Pretty stupid if you ask me

It's not that soft, nor hard. But the enemy in correcting it is heat. Supposedly you can leave it outside in the sun and it "self heals" but it hasn't happened for me. I was using a rotary, wool pads, and low speed (1000 is as high as i went) and spraying ice COLD distilled water in the panel to get decent results. The GTR has it, and some g37's i know. It's an option and not standard.

If i had a choice, I wouldn't ever put that on a car. But OP what year is it? Shouldn't be that big of a deal you should be able to fix it with a pc.

Quick Reply: Problems!