Pix of VW Bug detail and a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pix of VW Bug detail and a couple questions

I detailed my neighbors black 2005 VW Bug convertible. It had some terrible swirling and took some time to get out. I am so glad I do not own a black vehicle.

Question about black: What microfibers do you use that won't put some scratches back in??? I found it impossible not to put some marks on the black paint while removing wax.

Method:
Wash with Meg's Gold class
Clay with Meg's mild clay
M105
M205
Poorboy's Black Hole
Poorboy's EX-P sealant
Pinnacle Souveran

The paint is not perfect but looks much better. Any comments are welcome.

Kevin

Before: The driver's door looks really bad!

After:

Old 04-25-2009, 01:43 PM
esf
Were you actually marring the paint or were you getting streaking? There are some paints that are just rediculously touchy. While BMW is known for having super hard paint, if you research their Jet Black color, guys are having horrible times trying to keep it looking good because it's so easy to marr. Honda paint is known to be stupid soft, too. I have Souveran but haven't used it yet. It's supposed to be incredibly easy to apply and remove so I can't imagine you would have much issues there. What towels are you using now? If you want to try different towels, check out The Rag Shack. The **** Rags are really soft and plush. It's a smaller towel at 12"x16". They're on sale 3 for $7.35. The Ultra Premiums are on sale as well for $2.65 per towel (16"x16"). If you're like me and like a bigger towel, the Superfly is the same quality as the Ultra Premium but bigger (and brighter). I will be making a large order soon for the Superflys. A bit more pricey there is the Gladiator towel which is the best towel of the bunch. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Soft touch is the key....

When it looks good black is the best color.

Use less buffing pressure and you will get less marring.
Black is tricky...I rub my paint with 1 finger to feel the wax slickness and it will make small rainbow micro swirls.

I like the Rag Shack Super Fly microfibers. They are very very soft.

The black bug looks very nice.
You didn't like that small car...imagine a black truck.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Do you have any after pics with the halogens?

Old 04-25-2009, 08:54 PM
I didn't take any pictures under the halogens. I do need new microfiber towels so that might be part of the problem. I went over the car twice with M105 before I was satisfied with the look. I went over it once with M205 and was really pleased with the look. When I was removing the paint sealant is when I noticed that I was scratching the paint. I am not sure what marring is so I don't know if that is what I did.

The Pinnacle Souveran goes on like butter and comes off the same way. You do one panel at a time with no "dry to a haze."

Thanks for the input on microfibers and I will pay more attention to each process more next time. My neighbor was very happy with the results but I always think I can do better.

Kevin

Old 04-26-2009, 08:34 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice job man... came out pretty good.

Quick Reply: Pix of VW Bug detail and a couple questions