Boss 330's cleaning help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss 330's cleaning help please!!

I have black Boss 330's with a polished lip. My question is, is the lip clearcoated? I have been using polish on it and now Ive been hearing I shouldnt be using polish. Have I ruined the clear coat?

The rims are in good condition but when you look at the wheels in the sun you can see light scratches all over...what can/should I do to remove these scratches.

Also, the black part is painted...what kind of cleaner should I be using for this...I should be using something different than the lip right?

Any help would be greatly,greatly appreciated!

Here is a pic of the wheels...

Old 11-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When using the polish on the lip, does your rag turn black?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by guitarman502
When using the polish on the lip, does your rag turn black?
Yes sir

Old 11-21-2008, 11:24 AM
if you're lip was clean of dirt/dust... and you're still getting black, then it doesn't have a clear coat on the lip, raw metal.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by TazzRider
if you're lip was clean of dirt/dust... and you're still getting black, then it doesn't have a clear coat on the lip, raw metal.
So what would you recommend? I was thinking about getting a mother power ball and doing this tecnique.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...G1GGLQ_ENUS301

Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Is the lip aluminum?
I know on billet aluminum i use NEVERDULL wadding...it chemical saturated and works great. But, if surface is chromed it will evetually eat up the chrome. Again, it's excellent for raw aluminum.
As far as scratched in the lip, that's probably from rubbing on them while not totally free of dirt. Eitherway, only way i know of removing scratches from raw metal would be the route of rouge polishing.
Sorry i can't help with power ball, never used it.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by TazzRider
Is the lip aluminum?
I know on billet aluminum i use NEVERDULL wadding...it chemical saturated and works great. But, if surface is chromed it will evetually eat up the chrome. Again, it's excellent for raw aluminum.
As far as scratched in the lip, that's probably from rubbing on them while not totally free of dirt. Eitherway, only way i know of removing scratches from raw metal would be the route of rouge polishing.
Sorry i can't help with power ball, never used it.
Ya, I looked at rouge polishing with a pnuematic polisher but like I said, Im just not sure on what exactly the lip material and the black part of the rim are made out of again, if anyone can answer this I would greatly appreciate because I don't want to ruin the wheels.

Trending Topics

Old 11-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Hold a magnet to it, if it doesn't cling, then it's aluminum. Hard to tell from the pictures, but my first thought was it is polished aluminum

Old 11-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, like TazzRider said, it is uncoated metal. My suggestion is Mr. Buffer (www.mrbuffer.com). That stuff is amazing, I have a few bottles in the arsenal.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Your safest bet would be to contact the manufacturer of the wheel and ask them what materials the various parts of the wheel are made of and if any parts of it are clear coated or not. Then ask them what products they recommend for taking care of them.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 PM
They are uncoated...atleast thats what I was told by a dealer that sells Boss rims so Ill take his word. But, what should I us on the black painted part to bring back its life? I shouldn't use a polish should I?

Last edited by mgp32; 11-22-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Seems to me whatever you use on your truck body would saffice for the spokes. So long as it's nothing abrasive, not sure how you can go wrong with a wax or polish.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:49 PM
esf
If you're going to use a powerball on the polished lip, I'd tape off the black parts with blue painters masking tape before hand so you don't hit the black parts with metal polish. Just tape enough off so that the ball doesn't touch any black. Then make sure you clean up any splatter left from the ball throwing product around. Your favorite quick detailer should do the trick for that.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:33 PM
I have the boss 313's similar to yours. The lip is what they call "super finish". The machine that cuts the wheel polishes as it cuts. Basically polished. The whole wheel is aluminum and the center is powder coated. I just use wax on mine. Do not use anything abrasive on the center. I get spots in the lip area sometimes and just use chrome polish by hand to get remove the spots.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:35 PM
BTW, what type of exhaust do you have?

Quick Reply: Boss 330's cleaning help please!!