Meg's UQD and dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meg's UQD and dust

Has anybody had a problem with UQD attracting tons of dust?

Anytime I use it, it seems that my truck attracts dust like a magnet. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm... what are you putting the UQD over? What wax product(s)?

While I'm not exactly 'versed' in using this product just yet (I've been toying with it on occasion as it's not my main 'go-to' QD product), I've never noted that it seemed to attract more dust.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by FlyerFX4
Has anybody had a problem with UQD attracting tons of dust?

Anytime I use it, it seems that my truck attracts dust like a magnet. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this.
Is your truck a dark color?

Also, remember that your towels probably have some sort of charge from the dryer (unless you line dry them.) It's possible to transfer that charge to your truck while you're QD'ing, thus attracting oppositely charged dust. (Chemistry I class kicking in again.)

Old 02-10-2008, 12:39 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually... interesting thought there, attworth...

Is it dust that you're seeing or, maybe - just maybe, lint from your towels?

I have a few 'el-cheapo' towels that I have to be careful using because they're lint bombs.

The wifey pitched them in with some of my nicer towels in one load and those particular nicer towels haven't been the same since...

Cheap towels will have fibers that will break as the polyamide gets brittle.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Is it dust that you're seeing or, maybe - just maybe, lint from your towels?
I agree with this statement. Prior to upgrading my towels I had many "lint bombs."

I do feel strongly about my chemistry theory though. It has happened to every car I've ever seen.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:14 AM
The Zaino QD has an antistaic formula.

Z-6™ Ultra Clean "Gloss Enhancer" spray is awesome. In addition to helping give your car a three dimensional, its antistatic formula will reduce dust and dirt pickup by 60%

Old 02-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Anytime you rub something across your paint you create static elctricity. Can't be helped. It's especially bad when the humidity is really low.

Tic

Old 02-10-2008, 11:47 AM
It is definitely dust and not fibers from the towels. I am using Meg's Supreme Shine MF. Attworth, your static charge theory is interesting and something that I didn't think about. However, it seems that if there is any static charge in the towels it would attract dust into the towel or be discharged once the towel touches the truck. Or maybe I'm just thinking about this too much.

Rockpick, I have a black truck, so obviously anything that gets on it is going to be easier to see but this seems like an unusual amount of dust. The last time I waxed I used a coat of #21 followed by #26. After this waxing, I noticed that I seemed to get less dust than with other wax combos that I have tried. So I was pleased. This dust issue came up after the last couple of washes and following up with UQD.

Who knows...maybe there is just more dust in the air right now. Have to consider that possibility.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:03 AM
inteesting, i just used some UQD on my truck and the wife's car on saturday, both are black. there is an unusual amount of dust on them as well, BUT we had winds around 30 mph yesterday all day long. likely to have stirred up a lot of dust with those speeds.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:18 AM
We have also had some wind here recently. So at first I was chalking it up to the wind. But the other day I washed and then used UQD. The next day I had a layer of dust all around the truck and it wasn't windy at all.

Right now I think I'm leaning toward the fact that there's just a lot of dust in the air right now. Next time I wash, I'll use a different QD and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Meg's UQD and dust