Safe to use QD/UQD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safe to use QD/UQD?

If i have a layer of dust/dirt on my truck and want to get it off is it safe to use QD or UQD and a MF towell to remove it? Or would i be risking swirls and fine scratches? B/c everywhere i've read on this site has people only using QD on freshly washed trucks. Basically what im asking is, is it safe to UQD the whole truck to keep it looking clean untill it warms up to wash it good? (keep in mind im not talking about major dirt/salt build up, just a layer of light dirt)

-B

Old 01-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Suspended
Answers are going to vary on this but the simple answer to it is that yes it's going to harm your paint. Whether or not it's hurting it very little or a lot is a different story. Just think about it, you're still dragging containments across your paint. I'd just wait and wash it when you can.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Yea, that's what i was thinking. If i have to do it, i do it VERY gently.
20 Degrees is too cold in NC :-/ haha.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As was stated, the simple answer is to *not* QD when the vehicle is in that shape...

That said, there are some exceptions to that rule because there are other products out there that are made to be higher lubrication products (waterless wash types of products) that can deal with a little heavier layer of dust and grime.

Quick & Easy Wash (QEW) and Poorboy's Spray and Wipe (S&W) are two of the more popular products. Personally, I buy S&W by the gallon - typically two, actually - and use the heck out of it.

S&W is a bit 'smeary' on black so, after I'm done with the S&W, I'll follow with another QD spray to 'finalize' the touchup.

The key here is knowing when you need to pull the trigger on washing versus being able to safely use a high lubrication product like S&W... None of us here can teach you that using words, unfortunately. It's something that you'll learn as you mar your finish and induce straight line scratches from QD'ing (or S&W'ing) when the finish is too dirty.

Trust me. My truck has them on it right now due to my ignorance and lack of patience. They're a booger to remove but, they'll be gone in the Spring when I can really enjoy it without a monsoon/snow storm.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
S&W is a bit 'smeary' on black so, after I'm done with the S&W, I'll follow with another QD spray to 'finalize' the touchup.
One of the reasons I prefer to use Optimum No Rinse. It's more of a "wash" than using S&W. I was really amazed at how well it removed the salt and crap from my vehicles without marring.

Quick Reply: Safe to use QD/UQD?