8 year old black paint...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djh1121
Yes on the PC.

Off the top I've got:

On the pads 8006 & 9006. Also have that red one but was told never to use it...:o
Meguiar’s stuff all less then a 1 year old.
Diamond Cut Compound (use on a boat one time)
Fine Cut Cleaner
Swirl Remover
Hi Tech Yellow wax #26
Final Insp #34

Scratch X
Also have some other stuff in the back...

Bonus question...

On the edit note, lets just say the truck has been used (off-road)... I got a good deal on it and just trying to make a dollar.
The Diamond Cut Compound and Fine Cut Cleaner are rotary only products. I would not recommend using them with your PC.

the Swirl Remover doesn't have a whole lot of cut to it, and your arms might fall off trying to do that with just #9.

If you want to stay with Meg's products, I would recommend picking up some #80, and start with that, then follow it up with the #9. This is the cheapest way for you to go, since you only ned to buy one additional thing.

The 8006 pad will work fine with the #80 (Speed Glaze). patience is the key here. work small areas, and make multiple passes to get the results you are looking for.

The Poor Boy's approach RR suggested will also do the trick. Just cost you some more $$$.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Gipraw
The Diamond Cut Compound and Fine Cut Cleaner are rotary only products. I would not recommend using them with your PC.

the Swirl Remover doesn't have a whole lot of cut to it, and your arms might fall off trying to do that with just #9.

If you want to stay with Meg's products, I would recommend picking up some #80, and start with that, then follow it up with the #9. This is the cheapest way for you to go, since you only ned to buy one additional thing.

The 8006 pad will work fine with the #80 (Speed Glaze). patience is the key here. work small areas, and make multiple passes to get the results you are looking for.
I agree completely, I have found patience is the key. I use many overlapping passes, SLOW. When I first started up with my PC, I was going way too fast and not working the product enough thus not getting much of a result.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll be as straight as I can possibly be with you...

You're not going to get it with a PC - Meguiar's, Poorboy's, Jesus Juice...whatever. It's really that simple. You can, however, put a dent in it with the PC.

What you've shown us is a prime job for a good detailer with a rotary.

#80 with VERY slow passes utilizing a POLISHING pad (yellow Megs) would be a good start but, again, you're dealing with a lot of swirling and scratching that may or may not work out simplicitcally. A lot will depend on the state of the clear -- that being if it's ultra-hard or maybe a bit softer and easier to work with (soft doesn't necessarily = easy to work with, btw).

While I don't regularly recommend it with the PC, in the current condition of the paint, #83 may be a good choice with a yellow pad. You will, however, have to end up following it with a #80-like product.

As has been mentioned, #9 is going to offer little to no help.

Too bad you're not closer... I'd knock it out for you if you'd buy lunch and beverages.

-RP-

Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Advice taken... So what is a fair price to pay a "good" detailer for a job like this? I'm going to check around this week.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Moderator &

All depends on the market...

I know a few SPECTACULAR detailers that are in crappy markets that can only bring $150 for a job like that... whereas, I know of a few detailers that are in primo markets (So Cal) that would pull $800+ for that...

Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Well I don't see it being that strong of a market here in MS, but we'll see... I was thinking $200-$300 for me tops.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Moderator &

That's probably a fair assumption.

Look for some recommendations from others around you. Ask your favorite body shop guy for a referral... those guys typically know the *GOOD* detailers in and around the area.

It's only 12+ hours to drive it up here. HA!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
That's probably a fair assumption.

Look for some recommendations from others around you. Ask your favorite body shop guy for a referral... those guys typically know the *GOOD* detailers in and around the area.

It's only 12+ hours to drive it up here. HA!

Would love to spend a weekend with you RP... I would even bring some cold MS drinks... but 12 hours.:o

Old 01-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Moderator &

Well... if you reconsider... let me know. HA!!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:44 PM
wet sand with 2000 grit paper, polish with Farecla' polish, finish with farecla extra fine. Then wax twice with carnuba gold by mothers.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by rohner
wet sand with 2000 grit paper, polish with Farecla' polish, finish with farecla extra fine. Then wax twice with carnuba gold by mothers.

Well this thread just got more interesting.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Well this thread just got more interesting.

I think it took a turn after this post...

Would love to spend a weekend with you RP... I would even bring some cold MS drinks

Old 01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by luke280
I think it took a turn after this post...
Keep your boy love thoughts over in Lexington... Weirdo.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Would love to spend a weekend with you RP..
It's not all it's cracked up to be. At first it's all nice smells and bubbles, but then it quickly turns into a sideshow filled with jumper cables and unfulfilled dreams.... :o

Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by luke280
It's not all it's cracked up to be. At first it's all nice smells and bubbles, but then it quickly turns into a sideshow filled with jumper cables and unfulfilled dreams.... :o
You're still on some weird high after UK beat Vandy, aren't you? LMAO!

Quick Reply: 8 year old black paint...