2 coats of wax?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
Case in point:
Cleaner wax is useless with more than one application: The cleaners/abrasives remove the wax layer you add with each application.

HOWEVER: Waxes/sealants such as #21, NXT, #26, Nattys, etc, etc, etc work FANTASTICALLY when stacked; moreover, simple algebra/arithmatic/physics tells us that if one layer takes x amount of time to degrade in the environment, 2 layers should take approximately 2x the time...

As for automatic car washes, those are in a COMPLETELY different realm than detailing. You can call your wash a "detail" because it gets the undercarriage and applies some cheapo wax, but a TRUE detail is MUCH more involved than that...

Enough on that topic... Back to Seattle.

No more questions your Honer...the defense rests.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
No more questions your Honer...the defense rests.
Well thank you, Sire. Much appreciated. NEXT VICTIM!!!

Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Now you are starting to see the light, Kemo Sabe...
DIY car washes are good investments I am not knocking that at all, wish I had a few. They are also a good place to get big dirt off my truck before I drive it home and wash it again the proper way in my driveway.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Now you are starting to see the light, Kemo Sabe...
Bow to your sensei!

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=310437

Specifically, post #6.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Bow to your sensei!

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=310437

Specifically, post #6.

Troll... (See the thread you linked to for the rest of my reply). Turd.

Hey-beware... I am going to find a way to get revenge
(Not sure how yet, but I will....)

Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Did I read that right, you used a cleaner polish then you clayed?
Yeah.... ......... ouh oh! I guess I figured it didn't matter. I think I have done it both ways and never noticed a difference. I'm going to clay first now, I'm always looking for a better way.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Case in point:
Cleaner wax is useless with more than one application: The cleaners/abrasives remove the wax layer you add with each application.

HOWEVER: Waxes/sealants such as #21, NXT, #26, Nattys, etc, etc, etc work FANTASTICALLY when stacked; moreover, simple algebra/arithmatic/physics tells us that if one layer takes x amount of time to degrade in the environment, 2 layers should take approximately 2x the time...

As for automatic car washes, those are in a COMPLETELY different realm than detailing. You can call your wash a "detail" because it gets the undercarriage and applies some cheapo wax, but a TRUE detail is MUCH more involved than that...

Enough on that topic... Back to Seattle.
I swear I don't mean to single you out all the time... it just happens that way. LOL!

There can be some benefit to multiple 'layers' of a cleaner wax -- case in point, if your vehicle still has some light swirling or similar that the cleaners can potentially remove. From a PROTECTION standpoint, you typically don't gain a lot by multiples.

Also, keep in mind that NXT has *very* light cleaners in the mix - but, really not enough to remove the previous layer (info from Meg's).

Generally speaking, 2-layers *IS* better than one layer when it comes to nearly all last step products. What you're doing is two-fold. 1) you *are* adding additional protection and 2) you're ensuring uniform coverage (ie: you missed a spot on the first coat and now you snared it on the second).

What is silly is putting 8 coats or even 4 coats of a product on your paint. With very limited exception, this is wasting. The law of diminishing returns - which applies to so many thing (not just waxing a car) - will kick in. Basically it states that for every coat, the film build beneath the layer you're putting on is removed. Basically, there's nothing to stick to - very general.

-RP-

Old 11-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Moderator &

DIY car washes are good investments I am not knocking that at all, wish I had a few. They are also a good place to get big dirt off my truck before I drive it home and wash it again the proper way in my driveway.
They're gold mines... if in the right location. I would *love* to have one and have actually pursued an investment opportunity into one not too terribly long ago.

Making your money a quarter at a time isn't a bad gig... Based upon a trade publication that I receive, you're going to start seeing wand-washes and tunnels in front of Home Depot, Lowes, and oodles upon oodles of grocery stores...

You've got to figure that they've done their math to the point that they *know* the return on their investment will be significant.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I swear I don't mean to single you out all the time... it just happens that way. LOL!

There can be some benefit to multiple 'layers' of a cleaner wax -- case in point, if your vehicle still has some light swirling or similar that the cleaners can potentially remove. From a PROTECTION standpoint, you typically don't gain a lot by multiples.

Also, keep in mind that NXT has *very* light cleaners in the mix - but, really not enough to remove the previous layer (info from Meg's).

Generally speaking, 2-layers *IS* better than one layer when it comes to nearly all last step products. What you're doing is two-fold. 1) you *are* adding additional protection and 2) you're ensuring uniform coverage (ie: you missed a spot on the first coat and now you snared it on the second).

What is silly is putting 8 coats or even 4 coats of a product on your paint. With very limited exception, this is wasting. The law of diminishing returns - which applies to so many thing (not just waxing a car) - will kick in. Basically it states that for every coat, the film build beneath the layer you're putting on is removed. Basically, there's nothing to stick to - very general.

-RP-
Sounds like you agreed with virtually everything I said... Only thing was that I forgot to add the part about the diminishing returns...

Also-- for those of you who dont want to wait 12 hours: I typically will do 2 coats of whatever sealant I am using back to back, knowing that it will not help the durability; rather, I am after ensuring uniform coverage. So yes, it can be beneficial to you to do them back to back-- just not as much as if you wait.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
They're gold mines... if in the right location. I would *love* to have one and have actually pursued an investment opportunity into one not too terribly long ago.

Making your money a quarter at a time isn't a bad gig... Based upon a trade publication that I receive, you're going to start seeing wand-washes and tunnels in front of Home Depot, Lowes, and oodles upon oodles of grocery stores...

You've got to figure that they've done their math to the point that they *know* the return on their investment will be significant.
No joke-- a $3 car wash just went up in my town a few months ago (pretty small town) and EVERY DAY, it has a consistent line of 20-30 cars for about 6 hours straight. During weekends, they have about 15-20 cars from 0800 until about 1800 BOTH DAYS... And though most people only go for the #3 option, I see plenty go for the options ranging up to $20... I figure they have already paid for that place, paid their employees, and the owner is getting FILTHY rich off it...

If I could get a loan of that much money, I would put one up on the other side of the tracks so that people from my side wouldnt have to wait for trains to get their car washed. Then, after I could afford another, I would put up another in front of the WalMart (which is adjacent to the Albertsons), thus increasing my profits. This would put each of the car washes between 7 and 10 miles from each other...aka: anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes (depending on trains and traffic)...

So, although they are a GREAT money making scheme, I dont trust my truck in them. I went once and paid for the "Ultimate Detail" wash...It admittedly did loook pretty good, but the tailgate was still filthy, and there were plenty of spots missed... (Not to mention more expensive than doing it myself)

Old 11-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Moderator &

Sounds like you agreed with virtually everything I said... Only thing was that I forgot to add the part about the diminishing returns...
Basically, yes.

The only clarification was that there can be benefit for the average 'garage guru' to utilize mutliple coats of a cleaner wax for problem removal - not protection.

On the carwash - as a diversion from the topic - it's not that there are 30 cars rolling through there at a snapshot in time, it's that it costs about a combined total of $0.75 for that $3 wash. Profit margin, baby! Volume, as you pointed out, certainly doesn't hurt either!

Old 12-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Somebody is all smiles today...

anyway-- I was noticing here in Seattle (where I have been for the past 24 and next 14 hours) that there are a lot of cars that go unkempt, but there are a good number that are absolutely spotless-- inside, outside, underneath, on top... I see some potential for when I move here in July... Looks like my detailing rig will have to become mobile... I guess ONR will get some business from me soon...

Old 12-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Somebody is all smiles today...

anyway-- I was noticing here in Seattle (where I have been for the past 24 and next 14 hours) that there are a lot of cars that go unkempt, but there are a good number that are absolutely spotless-- inside, outside, underneath, on top... I see some potential for when I move here in July... Looks like my detailing rig will have to become mobile... I guess ONR will get some business from me soon...
You are moving there by choice?

Old 12-01-2007, 12:42 AM
You are moving there by choice?
Sort of. Check email in about 5 minutes (the priakos.com one)

Quick Reply: 2 coats of wax?