Swirl Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love #80.. I've never had a problem that it couldn't solve short of wet sanding. Don't ask..

Old 10-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RUSS04
Thank you RP For the info and the cheat sheet So you think i can stay away from#80 or try it ? Rolling Rock need your input also BTW RP Did you ever get your AMBIENT TEMP SENSOR replaced ? RUSS

If you have #2, give it a whirl. You're not going to hurt it as #2 is a pretty mundane product -- like I said, it's very similar to #80 but is less oily and will dry quicker.

As for the ambient temperature sensor -- nope. I haven't touched it. It works perfectly well this time of year.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
If you have #2, give it a whirl. You're not going to hurt it as #2 is a pretty mundane product -- like I said, it's very similar to #80 but is less oily and will dry quicker.

As for the ambient temperature sensor -- nope. I haven't touched it. It works perfectly well this time of year.
Thanks RP I will give #2 a whirl next week Lets hope your ATS dont act up again

Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by RUSS04
Thanks RP I will give #2 a whirl next week Lets hope your ATS dont act up again
Glad to help, Russ.

A few tips...

1. Be patient. Miracles don't happen immediately and, as such, your use of the PC will be the indicative barometer of how well it turns out in the end.

2. Speaking of miracles... DO NOT expect them. If the swirls are really really bad, you may have to make one, two, even three passes to bring it back down to swirl-less.

3. Don't be afraid to use the #9 at the very end after a pass or three of #2. #9 is actually a really good product to use on 'some' vehicles in that you can 'conceal' the majority of small marring and maybe even light swirling that you can actually induce with the PC. No worries, though... You'll do fine.

4. Did I mention, be patient?

-RP-

Old 10-10-2007, 12:42 PM
How often do you guys treat swirl marks..because it seems no matter what technique you use, they are going to eventually happen...but as for a removal like #80 and a machine...what is actually happening is taking off a small, small layer of the clear coat to even it out correct? It only makes sense to me to not too this TOO often or your entire clear coat will be gone eventually...sorry for the newbie questions but i am just not familiar with this step...THANKS!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by stud_135
How often do you guys treat swirl marks..
As needed.

...because it seems no matter what technique you use, they are going to eventually happen...
Yep. That's the unfortunate truth. If you're touching your paint, you're increasing the risk to cause problems exponentially.

but as for a removal like #80 and a machine...what is actually happening is taking off a small, small layer of the clear coat to even it out correct?
Exactly correct.

It only makes sense to me to not too this TOO often or your entire clear coat will be gone eventually...sorry for the newbie questions but i am just not familiar with this step...THANKS!!!
The amount of clear-build that you're removing is so incredibly meniscule that you really don't run the risk of doing it in the 'short' term. I mean, if you keep a vehicle from the day that you buy it through 50 years... yeah, you might run the risk.

For 99.9% of folks, the necessity to abrasively polish shouldn't really be all that prevalent but for more than a few times per year. Even at that rate, the amount of build that you're removing is crazy small.

In a nutshell, it *could* be a problem but, under common sense circumstances, you'll have no problems. The only way to really 'guage' this type of thing is to snare a paint thickness guage (measures the build of film between the tip of the guage and the top of the metal). They're not real cheap but can be useful -- especially for the super ultra-**** detailer that doesn't want to burn through a crappy re-paint job that has VERY thin film.

-RP-

Old 10-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks buddy...now just gotta get one. My plan is to use the machine with #80 3 times a year...

Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by stud_135
Thanks buddy...now just gotta get one. My plan is to use the machine with #80 3 times a year...
Use it that often if you need it that often...

And, actually, you maybe should use something less abrasive on some of those other occasions. Always use the least aggressive way to achieve your results... In short, don't bring a sledge when a 'rockpick' will do.

Also, even better than using it several times per year, make sure that your technique is good when drying, washing, and any time that you QD your paint. This is where most all (if not all) of your swirls will be induced.

-RP-

Quick Reply: Swirl Removal