detail cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say I'm beginning to wonder, (price wise) for this reason right here.

Well there aren't many detail's in my area that include steps such as claying and others that we all here wouldn't even consider omitting. One detailer charges about the same that I do for the Deep Crystal 3-step System. Don't get me wrong, I like the 3-step and have used it many times. But this shop advertises it like it's something that nobody else can do but them.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:19 AM
I just can't let myself stop until I know, without a doubt, that my customer will be blown away with the results. Of all the detailers in my area that I've priced, most charge close to $200 for a detail that seems to lose its look within a few weeks. I like to follow up with my customers every month or so, and they are always pleased with the durability of the detail. Forums like this are a great place to learn new tricks and read product reviews. I thought the F body forums I used to post on had a lot of experienced detailers, but this site has definitely surprised me. There are a lot of very skilled detailers (RockPick, rustyzipper, etc.) who put a lot of time into their work. I love reading all of your posts and seeing pictures of your work.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by AsheFX4
I just can't let myself stop until I know, without a doubt, that my customer will be blown away with the results. Of all the detailers in my area that I've priced, most charge close to $200 for a detail that seems to lose its look within a few weeks. I like to follow up with my customers every month or so, and they are always pleased with the durability of the detail. Forums like this are a great place to learn new tricks and read product reviews. I thought the F body forums I used to post on had a lot of experienced detailers, but this site has definitely surprised me. There are a lot of very skilled detailers (RockPick, rustyzipper, etc.) who put a lot of time into their work. I love reading all of your posts and seeing pictures of your work.
My sentiments exactly

Old 05-26-2007, 10:16 PM
The lady I'm detailing her car for at this time, I know darn good and well she went out and recieved price quotes from the pro's. As I said, she didn't hesitate giving me her business. Now granted I'm not in it for the money, but from looking at this thread I wouldn't have felt bad adding on another 25-50 dollars, especially if pro's aren't even claying? Good Lord I screwed myself.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
The lady I'm detailing her car for at this time, I know darn good and well she went out and recieved price quotes from the pro's. As I said, she didn't hesitate giving me her business. Now granted I'm not in it for the money, but from looking at this thread I wouldn't have felt bad adding on another 25-50 dollars, especially if pro's aren't even claying? Good Lord I screwed myself.
While I'm a few years short of 'seasoned'... my advice to you...

Don't get greedy.

Take that or leave it.

I know that some of the 'more seasoned' guys that I pay attention to (like Gipraw & qadsan) will agree with that notion. Don't screw yourself but, don't get greedy...

Actually, in my view... pretty good words to live life by...

-RP-

Old 05-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Don't get greedy.

Well I did think of that before I typed, but man RP, it is a lot of work and time consuming. I'm still looking at it as a supplemental hobbie, but here too, word of mouth travels fast. It could get ugly. I have visions of them lined up.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Moderator &

Well I did think of that before I typed, but man RP, it is a lot of work and time consuming. I'm still looking at it as a supplemental hobbie, but here too, word of mouth travels fast. It could get ugly. I have visions of them lined up.
You're still learning, young grasshoppa. Don't let the day job go just yet.

Yes, it is a lot of work but, those of us that do this as a 'hobby' or as a 'supplement' to an existing hourly wage or salary don't necessarily do it strictly for the money.

If you want to be a detailer... be a detailer.

If you want to be a greedy twerp that gives the rest of us who are detailers a bad name.... go away.

Now, that said, don't take it the wrong way as it's very easy to misinterpret things when read on a goofy internet forum... Continue to learn... take information in and store it away in a safe place... take even better notes when qadsan or Gipraw post and, for the love of Pete, don't let the buggy get out in front of the horse...

To those of us who read what you write and try to add little tweaks that might help you out in the long run with making a project go a little easier... it's starting to sound like you're letting that buggy get the best of you.

Settle down about two notches... Friendly words of advice.

-RP-

Old 05-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Point's well taken, while exploring the territory. However, trust me, I'll never be a threat to the biz. If I don't do another car this year, I'll be just as happy. Did I mention I have another grandchild on the way very soon.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Moderator &

Congrats!

We're expecting our first. My detailing time is drawing short as it is... I think the door may slam shut.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Point's well taken, while exploring the territory. However, trust me, I'll never be a threat to the biz. If I don't do another car this year, I'll be just as happy. Did I mention I have another grandchild on the way very soon.
Congrats on the pending grandchild..

RP is giving you some very good advice .. the $$$ is nice .. but it is not why I do it .. for example .. I have four scheduled this week during my vacation .. a couple of customers I have had for several years that are out of state, and I do something for them everytime I go visit my parents .. the other is a guy that I have been talking to on a different forum for about 8 months, and he has some paint problems he hasn't been able to fix, even with the advice of several people, so he scheduled me when he found out I was headed his way a couple of months ago .. I got an email from him yesterday saying he had to cancel because he couldn't afford the extra cash layout right now .. My response to him?? so .. I'll do it for free if you help.. partially because he seems to be a nice guy, and partially because I can't figure out what is up with his car, and I want to look at it so I can fix it .. sort of a challange, at this point.

It is a hobby for me, although I have enough customers that my hobby doesn't cost me anything .. I end up doing an awful lot of work for people I meet either for free, or severly discounted, because it is therapy .. and the job I do for people is always the same, whether I bill them my going rate, or simply make them buy the beer.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:32 AM
That's about where I'm at. Therapy. Talk radio and myself solving the worlds problems. I need Imus.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Oh yes.....Congrats to you also RP.

Wait till you here the words "hey grandpa." Reality really sets in. When I first heard those words, I was looking around for my dad. I was like, wait a minute, he's talkin' to me, whoa!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Congratulations on the grandchildren fellas. My wife and I are expecting our first son in August, and we are extremely excited.

I did forget to mention in my earlier post that when I detail a car for somebody I maintain it for free (regular washes, coats of wax when needed, etc.) I may do a full detail every 3-6 months for somebody and then wash it for them every other week or so. Most of them "tip" me, but I definitely don't ask. If anything I try to discourage them from paying me, because I appreciate their business, and like it has already been mentioned by a few of you, I do this as a hobby because I enjoy it. Within the next few weeks I will be detailing my friend's wife's Envoy, and I told him that I will detail his Tacoma for free.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:17 AM
I do this as a hobby because I enjoy it. Within the next few weeks I will be detailing my friend's wife's Envoy, and I told him that I will detail his Tacoma for free.
Man I live in the wrong part of the country. You mean to tell me I wouldn't have to do any of this myself, if I had friends like you guys? I wanna move.

That said I hope it's a boy.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Moderator &

Actually.... it's my first child... not grandchild.

Quick Reply: detail cost