Need a little help choosing a wax

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a little help choosing a wax

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a little assistance with choosing a pair of waxes to complete my first real attempt at detailing my truck.

I just bought an '07 Forest Green F150 Supercrew, and I am looking to keep the paint in top notch shape. I think I have a pretty good hand on the process that I will be using to clean and wax my truck. I am planning on:

1. Washing with Gold Class using the 2 bucket method (w/ grit guards)
2. Claying and using ScratchX as necessary
3. Cleaning with Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
4. Polishing with Deep Crystal Polish
5. And waxing x2

My question is on which combination of waxes make the most sense for me. I currently have:

1. Gold Class liquid wax
2. NXT liquid wax
3. Mirror Glaze #26.

I am hoping that you can provide my some input on which combination of waxes will provide me with the best durability of protection as well as that nice deep wet look that I love so much.

I am not opposed to picking up another line of wax, but I would prefer to use up what I have first. Also, for the time being, I will be applying these products by hand.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions or input.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would say #26 is the best there, but im not sure, however you could always go with a nxt, and s100 combo, i got to get my before and after shots of my old ranger, the nxt and s100 combo really did wonders, the truck hadnt been washed in almost 2 years and using that combo made it almost look brand new, aside from the scratches and dents, it even made the paint really smooth. i have to say it did alot better then what i thought.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Layke
...I just bought an '07 Forest Green F150 Supercrew...

<snip>

My question is on which combination of waxes make the most sense for me. I currently have:

1. Gold Class liquid wax
2. NXT liquid wax
3. Mirror Glaze #26.
Great question...

You have a pretty good plan of action but, before I jump into wax, let me say that you'll probably not need to utilize the CLEANER portion of the Deep Crystal system. Odds are that the paint is in pretty good shape -- unless the lot monkies have had their stab at it several times since the dealership recieved the vehicle. That said, evaluate the paint. Look for swirls. You'll not likely find any oxidation as the paint is simply too new. If you're seeing light swirling -- and you will see it if it's there simply because of the nature of that color -- then proceed with the DC Cleaner. If not, drop that step as it's probably a general waste of your time.

Post DC Polish, you've got a nice array to choose from. From the start, I'd shelve the Gold Class Wax. It's a good product for short-term use (show cars or similar) but, it's going to fall pretty short on the durability side in my opinion...

That said, I'd utilize a multi-layer type of system that will emphasize the metallic flake that is in the paint as well as make the vehicle deeper and darker from a visual standpoint.

NXT and #26

Go with NXT first. This is a synthetic wax that will offer a very high degree of durability and will protect the paint quite well. The next day -- after allowing the NXT to properly cure to the paint -- top it with #26 (one coat). You'll notice that the #26 will deepen and darken the look and will yield a great finished product.

If applying by hand, use VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY thin coats for EACH step.

This particular type of combination is among my favorite choices on just about any 'dark' paint color. What you should see during the genesis of your procedure is this:

Polish -- You'll note that the metallic flake begins to appear a bit more vibrant and it is easier to individualize the flakes within the paint. You'll also probably notice more reflectivity and more shine.

NXT -- You'll notice more shine and a slicker 'feel' to the paint.

NXT -- You won't notice much on the second coat. You're simply doing this to ensure uniform coverage, complete coverage, and because it'll layer ever so slightly to provide a bit more protection

#26 -- You'll notice that the paint darkens and gets deeper in appearance. It won't have that high-gloss that synthetics tend to leave behind and you'll note that the flake is, yet again, quite visible and crisp. The #26 may leave a byproduct of a slight 'shadowing' effect. No worries. Give it a day outside during normal day 'heat' and this effect will lessen and/or vanish. Be patient with it. Also, the #26 will add a touch of protection as well - naturally.

That help?

Remember, preparation of the paint is 99% of the battle. Maintaining your final product is also more critical than the type of wax or anything of that nature. Using good procedure, good application and removal products, and also using copious amounts of common sense will go farther than any product you can individually purchase!

Enjoy and take good care of your new ride!

-RP-

Quick Reply: Need a little help choosing a wax