clay bar help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clay bar help

This weekend I plan on claying my truck, I bought Mothers clay bar, and it came with everything including the bar, detail spray ,and Carnauba cleaner wax. I was wondering if I have to use the cleaner wax they provided oor can I use Dupont teflon was instead? The reason I like the dupont wax, is because it seems to help keep the dust off my dark blue paint.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:01 PM
As far as I know after you clay your vehicle it doesn't matter what kind of wax you use. As long as you do use some. Because you need to protect the paint after you take all the rough stuff off with the clay.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:32 PM
you can use whatever wax you want when you are done claying ..

personally, I would use the Mother's before I used the DuPont .. but as long as you use somethign for protection, you are free to select the brand that you are most comfortable with ..

You are also free to use a different brand of quick detailer as a clay lube, if you run out of the stuff that came with the kit ..

Old 02-01-2007, 02:43 PM
The cleaner wax offers NO protection to your paint. It removes all of the old paint. Do the cleaner wax, then follow it up with the Dupont.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the quick response and all the helpful advice

Old 02-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
The cleaner wax offers NO protection to your paint.
??? Have to disagree with you on that comment. The Mother's cleaner wax is a carnuba based cleaner wax, and designed to be used as a one step product, and it does prodive protection.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaairman
The cleaner wax offers NO protection to your paint. It removes all of the old paint. Do the cleaner wax, then follow it up with the Dupont.
Totally incorrect.

Cleaner wax is, like Gip said, a 1-step process. It's designed to conceal/remove oxidation/swirls and then leave a layer of protection behind.

Most cleaner waxes are carnauba-based and will deal with VERY minor problems in/on the paint -- 9 times out of 10, for the perfectionist, cleaner wax won't solve problem paint.

For the 95% of the public that think 'wax is wax', a cleaner wax is a good 'one-stop-shop' choice.

Quick Reply: clay bar help