cleaning up lariat leather in 2001

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleaning up lariat leather in 2001

whats the best route to take when cleaning up my tan leather interior in my 2001, its starting to show its age because i have not taken the time to really clean it...ive got several places that need some good cleaning and conditioning but the only place where the wear is bad is the drivers seat. what would be the best route to take with getting the leather back in shape, from what ive read on here i have the coated leather i think its been called...the back seat is in great shape just has a few small spots that need cleaning, the fronts have several..just gauging to see what other people are doing to keep their aging leather in shape

Old 01-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're correct in assuming that it is a coated leather. These leathers, fortunately for you, are a bit easier to get back in shape when they've been 'let go' over a period of time. Now, that's not to say you're going to get it back to showroom... keep that in mind.

That said, I'd recommend going with a 3-step process. Some of the steps may need to be repeated to really allow the leather to shed the built-up body soils and general crud that are giving the surface a dingy look.

The steps I would follow are as follows:

1. Gross Contamination Removal - Using a hot, wet 100% cotton terry cloth, remove the 'gross' contamination from the seats. Don't 'scrub' but, don't just allow the towel to coast across the top of the leather either. The objective here is to prep the leather for the next cleaning step. Rotate the towel frequently and keep it 'hot'. If you note that your towel is overloaded, obtain additional towels. I would recommend doing this on ALL seating surfaces -- remember, the only 'leather' part of Ford's seats are the flat bottom and flat back -- ie: the surfaces that would touch skin; the others are vinyl. (I should note, though, that you may treat the vinyl areas like the leather as it will not be detrimental to those materials).

2. Leather Cleaning -- Using a dedicated leather cleaner (not a combo product (clean/condition)), follow the directions explicitly. I would recommend Meguiar's Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner (a blue gel) (here's a link). Again, use 'several' towels if necessary and repeat this step until you get it where you want it. Also, I'd treat ALL surfaces in front and back (you'll never realize how dirty the back actually is until you clean it).

Another product that I like on COATED LEATHER is Lexol pH Balanced Cleaner (orange bottle). I will say that you SHOULD NOT use this product on aniline leathers (uncoated -- ie: your $5000 leather couch). I find this product to be very effective on high-grunge seats.

Both of the aforementioned products are available at Pep Boys and, sometimes, other 'chain' auto part stores. Call for availability.

3. Condition -- A very critical step. Some will argue that, since the leather is coated, you need not condition. WRONG. That coating is VERY porous and thus, allows the conditioner to work into the leather. Further, not conditioning that coating will lead to cracking and other failing features as it needs necessary emollients and such to maintain it's pliability.

Start with another wipe down of the surfaces with a HOT, damp towel. HOT is the key. Do one seat at a time immediately prior to conditioning.

Remember, leather is skin. Moist skin soaks up more 'lotion' when you have dry skin -- on your arm for instance -- leather reacts the same way.

When conditioning, and to avoid product waste in a towel, I'd recommend putting the product directly on your hand and massaging it into the leather. Use an ample volume and don't be afraid to leave a thin coat on top of the leather. At the end of the procedure, you can come back with another 100% cotton terry towel and remove the excess that didn't get pulled into the leather. I wouldn't recommend treating vinyl surfaces with the leather conditioner but rather with a high-quality water-based vinyl treatment like 303 or Vinylex.

The key points:

Don't move forward unless you've got the step you're working on done and done to your satisfaction.

Don't be afraid to use the hot, damp towel. The moisture helps open pores in the coating and/or leather and will aid in removal of ground in crud.

Don't be afraid you're going to over condition. You're not going to. Remove any excess product with a towel as mentioned.

Do all of the surfaces with cleaning steps and only the seating surfaces with the conditioner. Don't neglect or 'spot clean' as you'll realize that your surfaces probably all have some grime and could use some loving.

Ask any questions that you have! We've got a nice cross-section of detailing professionals here on our site. If we don't know the answer, we'll point you to someone who does!

Enjoy!

-RP-

Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Everything you ever needed to know right there.
When I had to clean my (light gray) leather after my truck was shipped, I used a little Johnsons baby soap on the towel to lift the dirt.
I think I've said this before but I've only had to "clean" my leather twice. Once when I bought it and again when it was shipped. I generally condition with Lexol once a month.
The real deal is not to get your leather dirty or scuffed.
You need to watch out for rivets on your jeans and not smoking/drinking/carrying dirty objects etc on the seats.
If you can't avoid that, get some blankets or seat covers.

Now, don't forget those before and after pictures

Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great tip there EA... The baby soap trick is something that I've used a few times myself -- specifically on Analine leathers. It's VERY gentle and rinses well. Further, it lifts the grime quite well... obviously nothing too terribly harsh about a 'baby' product.

Although -- I wouldn't recommend baby oil -- well, not for your leather seats at least.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Make this a "sticky"!

This has been asked about so much that it ought to be a "sticky" in this forum or Interior Care.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Old 02-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also reccomend Meguiar's Leather Cleaner with Aloe. I also used the conditioner with aloe. I used it on my sisters Mountaineer with great results. Other brands of cleaner, even other Meguiar's cleaners would not clean these seats thoroughly. It removed some spots that I never could get out with other stuff.

Quick Reply: cleaning up lariat leather in 2001