Semi-deep Scratches, Rubbing Compound, and Clay

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Semi-deep Scratches, Rubbing Compound, and Clay

OK, I guess I screwed up my paint job...

I had (actually they're still there) some scratches on the bedside of my S-Crew from the previous owner and decided I wanted to minimize their appearance on my white paint job... I got some rubbing compound that looked like red clay and proceeded to go to town... Worked it and worked it, but the scratches were too deep. Now the daggum scratches are stained with the red from the rubbing compound.

So, I go to down to Vatozone and pick up a Mothers claybar kit and try working on it with that. Doesn't do a thing. It looks just as stained as the day I screwed it up.

please...

What can I do to get this crap straightened out?

Old 04-22-2006, 04:48 AM
It sounds like the rubbing compound has got deep into the scratches like a body filler would do. They must be pretty deep.
The clay bar is probably just gliding over the top. They are only designed to lift contaminants out of the paint surface, not cut it back in any way.
I think you will have to try and wash the compound out of the scratches.
Use some soap and a soft bristle brush to work down the scratch and lift the compound out.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I want to emphasize SOFT here from Adam's response. If you go after is with ANYTHING that is REMOTELY harsh, you'll screw it up worse...

The rule of thumb on ANY scratch is that if you can feel it with a fingernail, you're probably not going to get it out without the help of a body shop or a person that is familar with fillers, paint, and finishing work (aka: a body shop guy).

Also, compounds used incorrectly can yield some hellish results. Be careful.

RP

Old 04-24-2006, 11:21 AM
What about using one of those "sanding pens", then wet sanding the small area of the said scratch to smooth it out and a good heavy coat of good wax and a buff.

Or should I just leave it alone until I can save up the money for the paintjob I want. The paintjob (all in all) is in good condition and shines, just a lot of small rock chips and a few deep scratches from the previous owner using it as a construction truck (It has holes drilled in the bed rail caps - telltale signs of a racck being installed).

It shouldn't cost TOO much to repaint, as the color is going to be a pearl white (Like the Cadillac Escalades) getting shot over the existing white and then some kind of bright metal flake blue racing stripes down the middle and having the rocker decals replaced with paint in the same blue.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Sorry mate. No experience with the sanding pen at all.
If you are going to repaint soon, just make sure there's no bare metal exposed so it doesn't rust before you lay down the paint.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:59 PM
I did the same thing. I got a scratch and used the red rubbing compound. Let me know what works for you. The scratches being red on my silver paint just isn't doin' it for me. Or the looks of my truck.

Quick Reply: Semi-deep Scratches, Rubbing Compound, and Clay