PlastX

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PlastX

I tried using PlastX to remove some fine scratches from a headlight and it seems like there are more scratches after I used it than before. Should the PlastX leave a totally clear surface or is it normal to have very fine scratches left in the plastic?

Greg

Old 02-16-2006, 05:23 PM
there should be fewer scratches.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:37 AM
I solved it. I used a Mothers Powerball to apply the PlastX. Almost a perfect finish now.

Greg

Old 02-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Not sure what brand names it's sold under, but you could check out your local FBO at the airport and get a bottle of windshield polish. Stuff works great on virtually any clear plastic material.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by kretinus
Not sure what brand names it's sold under, but you could check out your local FBO at the airport and get a bottle of windshield polish. Stuff works great on virtually any clear plastic material.

FBO?

Old 02-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stands for 'Fixed Base Operations'. Generally speaking, this is the one-stop shop for airplane 'stuff'... similar to a marina for boats.

Back to your Plastx comment... like you, I've noted that Plastx has a tendency to break down a bit slow. As is such, I think this is what you had experienced in your earlier post. You see, Plastx contains diminishing micro-abrasives (much like a car polish) that slowly break down under use. I suspect that these abrasives weren't given enough time to break down or that you were using too much 'downward' force with the product to allow it to break down.

Either way, it sounds like you discovered a trick to make it work... I have, on occasion, pulled out my PC and an older pad to apply Plastx and, like you, achieved pretty darn good results...

RP

Old 02-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Sorry bout that, FBOs are the private companies that contract with the airports to provide service and support for pilots at the airport, they usally handle aircraft rentals, flight instruction, fueling, maintenance etc.

The product I'm talking about doesn't remove scratches, it fills them with a clear polymer. It doesn't last forever but considering the prop wash from a plane blasts the windshield like nothing your headlights are ever going to see, on your application it would probably be a monthly maintenance item at worse, and it takes a lot less time than polishing them with an abrasive.

Last edited by kretinus; 02-18-2006 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: PlastX