Pressure Washer Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pressure Washer Questions...

I am looking at pressure washers to clean my truck and do other stuff with but nothing to hard core. I see electric and gas, which ones better for my use? And what is the optimum PSI to clean my truck with ( Lowest and highest i can go also). And who makes the best, and what attachments should i get that will help out with the truck cleaning..thanks in advance!

Old 12-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
gas would be better, brigs and straton make a really nice 4.5 HP one that is really nice, it will come with alot of difrent nozzles that will be for all the diffrent applications, like spraying off your truck all the way to stripping paint, good luck

Old 12-19-2005, 10:06 PM
I would go with gas also, the thing about electricity and water scares me. I can tell you what NOT to get...don't get the Excel 2600psi with the Honda engine. I bought it at HD last year and it is a POS. Good Luck...

Old 12-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sold pressure washers for the last 3 1/2 years and in my personal reccomendation get a gas model that has no more than 2600 psi. Like Peladu says water & electricity don't mix well. We always had those come back. If you spend a little more money at first you'll be happier later. A 2600 psi model has enough power to clean virtually everything at the house, concrete, decks, tractors, etc., but is gentle enough to use on your vehicle. Most of those models will come with quick disconnect tips to change the angle of the spray from 0 to approximately 40 degrees. Of course you will use the widest angle (40 degrees ?) to clean your truck. If you can spend the extra $$ to get one with a Honda engine, they may cost more but they run forever if you change the oil once a year.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:25 PM
I have the Karcher 2600 PSI gas model and I like it a lot. It comes with about 5 or 6 different nozzles and they all come in handy depending on what what you're doing. It's got the Tecumseh engine in it, but I believe now they are using a Honda engine. Got it from Menard's for $350.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know jack about pressure washers, other than to be careful...some of them get quite hot. Hot enough to melt the plastic door moulding on a Taurus. Trust me on that... :o

Old 12-22-2005, 07:53 PM
MJN
Originally Posted by Quintin
I don't know jack about pressure washers, other than to be careful...some of them get quite hot. Hot enough to melt the plastic door moulding on a Taurus. Trust me on that... :o

LOL..that reminds me when I was about 12 my brother bought a new Ranger and about two months after he had it I was washing for him with our 3000psi hot water pressure washer and got to close to the rocker panel and striped the paint off and put about a 1/4" deep gash and about 3" long in it. Lucky he was not real picky about his trucks like I am.

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2600PSI 5.5 HP gas model. I have had it 8 years and use it a lot. The house, driveway, parts, cars, etc. I would recommend a turbo nozzle...it really improves the cleaning power and coverage.
Quintin, unless it is a heated model, and most consumer ones are not, the water temp is just what goes in...no heating involved. Now, there is enough pressure up close to disintegrate plastic. Trust me, I know

Old 12-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Talking

Go with a gas pressure washer.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I have had three electrics, with no trouble at all?? The Campbell Hausfeld lasted about three years, probably because it was stored outdoors the entire time. All three did a bangup job. Actually two were Ka'Archers, and one I gave to my neighbor when I got my current Ka'Archer. Buy a gas model if you hate your neighbors, because they will certainly hate you after the first time you use it. ,,,,98

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 12-23-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
And if using an industrial one, say at work, and you are trying to get the bugs off the front of your truck it will strip off the clear coat.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know that feeling, sheeesh!

I took the clear off the fender of a Bronco once without trying. Not factory paint, but still sucked pretty bad. It was an ollllllld industrial model. Had a boiler tank and the whole deal. It got so hot it came with a mesh steel handle around the spray head so you would not burn yourself trying to hold it.,,,98

Old 12-26-2005, 05:07 AM
Originally Posted by Peladu
I can tell you what NOT to get...don't get the Excel 2600psi with the Honda engine. I bought it at HD last year and it is a POS. Good Luck...
I made the same mistake. 400 dollars down the drain. Nothing but problems after the 3rd use.

Old 12-26-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by 98SCREAMER
I have had three electrics, with no trouble at all?? The Campbell Hausfeld lasted about three years, probably because it was stored outdoors the entire time. All three did a bangup job. Actually two were Ka'Archers, and one I gave to my neighbor when I got my current Ka'Archer. Buy a gas model if you hate your neighbors, because they will certainly hate you after the first time you use it. ,,,,98
Love the "hate your neighbours bit" this seems to pop up in a few postings from time to time.

Just a word of warning guys - use protective gear IE; suitable & approved eye/face protection (full face is best) and watch your toes 1000psi will cut you foot open like a knife and don't let kids play with them.
If you have a pencil type jet IE; 0-5 deg they will cut a neat round hole in your skin and screw up your tissue with damage & contamination deep inside.
Handle with great care as the water is leaving the nozzle at 200 - 500mph plus, dependant on pressure and flow.

On the subject of neighbours I have a large Karcher 2000psi and it will get to 200 deg plus if you want, has twin detergent tanks for tough stuff & wash wax.
Electric power (via Earth Safety Breaker) and diesel or kerosene for the burner. Lot's of steam on a cold day!
It's the dogs do-dahs!

For the neighbours and serious cutting power down the yard we have 2 truck mounted units, a 150hp @ 750bar (10,900 psi) with a flow of 22 gpm that will cut you clean in half.
And a 300hp unit giving 200bar (3000 psi) bar with a flow of 100 gpm
That will knock to into next week

On a serious note though, take care and make sure you get the right equipment for the job including the protective gear.
You only get one set of eyes.
I use only warm wash 110f max at 1500psi with 5% wash wax detergent mix.
Full flow through 15deg fan jet and keep at least 18" back from truck.

Finish of with cool rinse after sponging down to clean paintwork & wheels.
Allways use my 2nd outdoor tap which is fed from water softner unit.
Minimal water staining on hot day and helps remove stubborn deposits.
Soft water helps prevent the unit from scale building up in boiler.

Anyone want advise on the use of High Pressure Water Jetting Equipment I may be able to find a link to some Web Sites.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Back to thre top FYI

Quick Reply: Pressure Washer Questions...