Has anyone repaired their own paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone repaired their own paint chips

Hi

I just had a question for anyone who has down a paint chip repair themselves. I know there was a link here a while back on the procedures. If any of you have done this yourself, I wanted to know how it turned out and what are some good products out there. I have about eight chips on the front bumper. Also right where the bed meets the cab (down at the bottom where the body curves under) there is a chip about the size of a penny. Any info or pics of work you guys have done yourselves would be great
Thanks Guys

Old 11-16-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going to go out and repair a scratch on my hood with one of those pens tonight, if anyone has any advice on the pens or if there is an alternative method to remove deep scratches, let me know asap.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Josiah

I do know if you go into google and type "Paint Chip Repair" you'll get alot of hits, some containing scratch removal. Some repairs listed have alot of steps to them, and some don't. But I did see one that involved buffing out and adding a clearcoat to it. Give this search a shot, and see what you get.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Suspended
Josiah if you haven't already done it, take some before and after pictures.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Josiah if you haven't already done it, take some before and after pictures.
I'm doing it today, and my new camera is coming in, down with the RazrV3 phone pics! I'll wait until it arrives at my door to go out and do this. You all are going to want to see this, it's going to be a disaster with me guiding that pen.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:24 PM
No, but when I brought my truck in to the dealer to have them "detail" it (part of the deal when I bought it), they used the brush that came with the touch up bottle to smear paint over an 8 inch scratch on the tailgate. Mind you this is a black truck so when the sun hits it, it looks like crap. The scratch looked better. Is there a way to get this off and start over?
Allen

Old 11-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Well I'll be touching up my rock chips this tomorrow so I can wax this weekend. I found a process from one of the guys in the detailing forum. Condensed it's as follows.

1. Clean rock chip and surrounding area with water/dish soap mix to strip off wax.
2. Use toothpick to let touch up paint slide into rock chip and have slight "bubble" effect, but only slightly over the thickness of the paint. Do this in direct sunlight or anywhere warm because paint will go into chip easier.
3. Let dry for 24 hours.
4. Take 2000 grit sand paper and soak it in car wash and water mixture.
5. Take pencil eraser end and have 2000 grit sandpaper on end of eraser.
6. Use eraser on pencil end with 2000 grit sandpaper to lightly and carefully sand the "bubble"'d up area that is the touchup paint.
7. Use a scratch remover to remove any scratches (Scratch-X or Meg. #80)

That is what I'll be doing this weekend for my truck. I have three chips in the front that I'll touch up and put clear bra over and then one on the tailgater to touch up.

Hope this helps,

Duke

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2005, 06:40 PM
I used a Dupont paint chip repair kit, from a local automotive store, cost about $12, came with the chip filler pen, primer pen, clearcoat pen, wet sanding paper and good step by step instructions. Use this kit with your oem touch up paint. I used it on a small chip near my fuel door and it turned out good, you'd have to look very close in just the right light to see that there was ever a chip.

PS This was my first attempt at chip repair.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:18 PM
i used to eat paint chips...

Old 11-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by 2000BlackGT
i used to eat paint chips...
I bet Tommy Boy.

by the way..would u be interested in Fx4 rims and tires? they're brand new..drop me an email if interested.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Well I'll be touching up my rock chips this tomorrow so I can wax this weekend. I found a process from one of the guys in the detailing forum. Condensed it's as follows.

1. Clean rock chip and surrounding area with water/dish soap mix to strip off wax.
2. Use toothpick to let touch up paint slide into rock chip and have slight "bubble" effect, but only slightly over the thickness of the paint. Do this in direct sunlight or anywhere warm because paint will go into chip easier.
3. Let dry for 24 hours.
4. Take 2000 grit sand paper and soak it in car wash and water mixture.
5. Take pencil eraser end and have 2000 grit sandpaper on end of eraser.
6. Use eraser on pencil end with 2000 grit sandpaper to lightly and carefully sand the "bubble"'d up area that is the touchup paint.
7. Use a scratch remover to remove any scratches (Scratch-X or Meg. #80)

That is what I'll be doing this weekend for my truck. I have three chips in the front that I'll touch up and put clear bra over and then one on the tailgater to touch up.

Hope this helps,

Duke
Very good instructions, but I still don't see where the #'s are coming from (i.e. Meguiar's #80, etc). I have several car products by Meguiars and BlackMagic, I don't really like any of them, I have Meguiars Wax, and tonight I just purchased Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax ($15.99), I'll let you know how that wax turns out. I don't really like any of my products except for the BlackMagic car soap, even smells great. I have interior cleaner from Meguiar's as well, and the wax I used before just doesn't work very well, it's not bad, but not great either. If anyone is interested in my opinions on these products I'll post reviews on each in the detailing forum. Don't forget to answer my question about the #'s.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:11 AM
I've used the Langka product before, and it works great, moreso on solid colors than metallics but worth a look.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Very good instructions, but I still don't see where the #'s are coming from (i.e. Meguiar's #80, etc). I have several car products by Meguiars and BlackMagic, I don't really like any of them, I have Meguiars Wax, and tonight I just purchased Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax ($15.99), I'll let you know how that wax turns out. I don't really like any of my products except for the BlackMagic car soap, even smells great. I have interior cleaner from Meguiar's as well, and the wax I used before just doesn't work very well, it's not bad, but not great either. If anyone is interested in my opinions on these products I'll post reviews on each in the detailing forum. Don't forget to answer my question about the #'s.

Most all of Meg.'s car waxes, cleaners, and polisher type waxes have numbers associated to them. Go to www.autodetailingsolutions.com to see what I'm talking about. Look for scratch removers and on each bottle pictured, you'll see a number.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I know this isn't high tech or nothing, but get some factory touch up but don't use the brush that came attached to the cap. Clean the chip or scratch with wax remover. Then take a match from a match book, use the end of the match that you ripped and dab it in the paint the dab carefully into chip let dry and repeat untill you are happy with the look. Again this isn't sanding and all but I cann't see my chips(from a salt truck last winter) unless I'm up close waxing the truck,good luck .

Old 11-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Some good tips in the General Care and Detailing area of the board for chip repair. Go hit the search up and look up either RockPick or Myself.

Quick Reply: Has anyone repaired their own paint chips