Calling clay EXPERT (a.k.a. RP and boss.)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling clay EXPERT (a.k.a. RP and boss.) ANOTHER problem! *edited*

I am going to clay my truck this weekend, but I have a quick question. Is it similar to waxing? "Clay on, Clay off?" Or does the clay not come off onto the truck? Thanks.

Last edited by SlammaJamma; 10-11-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:25 PM
After using a lubricant of good quality and claying the vehicle, there will be a residue leftover that will come off with a quick wash. Make sure you get the right grade clay. A harsch grade of clay will leave markings in the paint (especially on black or dark colors) and require buffing to remove. White is obviously the easiest, as it shows less errors in the job, but more crap thats on it to begin with.

Best of luck with it, and BE PATIENT, its a long process

Old 10-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Yea, my truck is definitely black...sheesh. Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Make sure you get the right grade clay. A harsch grade of clay will leave markings in the paint (especially on black or dark colors) and require buffing to remove.
What would be a good mild grade of clay for new paint with a minimum of contaminants? For a rookie?

Old 10-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rta108
What would be a good mild grade of clay for new paint with a minimum of contaminants? For a rookie?

In my opinion, the Mother's Clay kit or Meguiar's Quik Clay kit are both very mild and user friendly... Both of these 'kits' come with a bottle of lubricating spray (typically a QD product of some sorts) and also a clay bar.

Once you get your clay, cut it into a couple of pieces. The reason for doing this is to avoid ruining all of it when you drop it on the ground... it will happen, it's just a matter of time. By having two pieces of clay, you can toss the one you just dropped on the garage floor that picked up several sand particles and thus, help to eliminate another factor that could cause major problems when you're claying... ie: a grain of sand stuck in the bar, at the wrong moment, can induce hell on your paint that will involve much more than a little elbow grease to remove. Better safe than sorry... especially on black.

There are others out there and some manufacturers do sell mild and aggressive versions of their clay... From my experience, and several others here, the majority of the commercial clay kits (like the ones you could pick up at AutoZone or similar), are pretty good and should work... even on black.

RP

Old 10-11-2005, 09:42 AM
I discussed the grades one day with RP, and the commercial product I use is color coded differently than the versions available to you at retailers. For instance, I believe it was blue was my light clay, where gray was RP's light clay. I am going up the road to advance right now to return some stuff, I'll look at their products and see if I can't figure out which one is right for you

Old 10-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Anyone know where you can find the quick clay in stores? I've been looking but can never seem to find it. Maybe it's a hot item.

Duke

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Anyone know where you can find the quick clay in stores? I've been looking but can never seem to find it. Maybe it's a hot item.

Duke
You can find them at any auto store, ie. Autozone, Pep Boys. But seems you can't find any at WallyWorld or Targhetto.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Orielly's and auto zone have them Localy here. I bought the Meguiars and it worked really well (rail dust removal )

the box looks like this

Old 10-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deltascrew
Orielly's and auto zone have them Localy here. I bought the Meguiars and it worked really well (rail dust removal )

the box looks like this

...snip...
I used this kit on my True Blue F-150 and got great results. There may be better kits out there, but this one worked for me. Easy to use, too.

Old 10-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys. Hopefully all will go well saturday. My hood has a ugly hazy effect to it, i dont know whats causing it, but hopefully the clay will take care of it. Thanks again.

Here are some pics of the haze.

Last edited by SlammaJamma; 10-11-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Have any of you guys used Zaino's clay? I was considering buying some of their clay since they have two bars for $16.00.

I'll probably just buy the mild clay from Meguiars pro line for $25.00, it seems like a really good deal for the amount of clay you get.

- Chris

Old 10-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WoW...that's some seriously 'up-close' photography!!! Great picture!

THAT is what clay is supposed to help with guys... bonded contamination that can't be removed by simple washing... GREAT PICTURE!!

-RP-

Old 10-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
be sure and show us what it looks like after you clay it.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Woo, will do. I have a shopping list for o'reilly/autozone this weekend, im ready.

Quick Reply: Calling clay EXPERT (a.k.a. RP and boss.)