Time between detailing

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Time between detailing

I am just wondering how often I should detail the truck?

Old 10-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As often as you 'need' it.

There's no right or wrong answer to this question....

Assess your paint often... if you're seeing swirls, scuffs, have bonded contamination, etc... then it's time to start thinking about bringing it back. The key is to not let it get out of control and keep an finder on it so that it's not totally out of hand.

Maintain and you'll cut your 'true detail' time down exponentially.

RP

Old 10-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
For my daily drivers I do a full-blown detail (wash, clay, polish, wax, full interior detail, etc.) once every six months. I supplement this with a weekly wash in the driveway, and an occasional extra coating of Meguiar's #26 Carnuba Wax whenever the feeling moves me (once or twice every six months on average) in between my full-blown details.

For my babies, which are always garage kept and get very few miles (2000 - 3000) over the course of a year, I do a full-blown detail once a year and supplement this with a coat of Meguiar's #26 Carnuba Wax every 4-6 weeks.

These regimens keep my daily drivers looking VERY acceptable, and my babies in pristine condition!

Old 10-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Red face

Thank you for your input and I will keep that in mind, however, I am now wondering where I should get this done at? The local Ford dealership, where I got the truck, does detailing and I am wondering if I should get it done there or at an independent shop? Your input on that would be appreciated.

Thanks

vernonbishop

Old 10-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Well of course that is all up to you and the place that you think is going to do the best job. Most of us here do all our own detailing and I beleive that RP has a side buisness detailing.

- Chris

Old 10-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vernonbishop
I am now wondering where I should get this done at? The local Ford dealership, where I got the truck, does detailing and I am wondering if I should get it done there or at an independent shop?

Yep -- I guess the assumption here is that you'll do your own detailing. You must keep in mind that for most of the guys who frequent this part of the site, detailing a vehicle is relaxing and enjoyable -- not a chore!

Plus, I guarantee I'll do a much better job than any dealer would ever do -- primarily because I am willing to take the time and effort to do everything to my standards, not the standards of a boss who is breathing down the neck of his employees to push more vehicles through the shop!

But hey -- some guys have the passion for it and some guys don't. If you don't have the passion, you probably won't do a very good job, and you'd be just as well off to let a decent local shop do it and concentrate your efforts more on performing decent weekly washes of the vehicle. For the average guy (not an enthusiast) this will be more important than doing a half-a$$ detail once or twice and then losing the ambition for it.

Good luck, whatever way you decide is best for you!

Old 10-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm... Montana is quite a drive for me to come out and detail your ride but, I'm available (plus cost of airfare and daily expenses... ).

As for finding a local place... I'd check around. Ask to see some of their work if they're working on something in the shop. Remember, this is your vehicle and you can demand a great end product. It is my opinion that you get what you pay for within the detailing world... well, at least typically you do. In short, don't base everything on $$...

Trending Topics

Old 10-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by RockPick
Hmm... Montana is quite a drive for me to come out and detail your ride but, I'm available (plus cost of airfare and daily expenses... ).

As for finding a local place... I'd check around. Ask to see some of their work if they're working on something in the shop. Remember, this is your vehicle and you can demand a great end product. It is my opinion that you get what you pay for within the detailing world... well, at least typically you do. In short, don't base everything on $$...

I can fly you out tomorrow!

Seriously though, thanks for the ideas.

Quick Reply: Time between detailing