Well Water Stain

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Water Stain

I parked to close to my son's sprinkler system and now my 2004 Black 150 is covered with hard water stains. Any suggestions from anyone about their removal, hopefully without damaging the paint.
Thanks
ted1944

Old 07-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to want to get them off the paint pretty quickly.

Some people have had good luck with a Vinegar solution at getting water spots off or using one of the Acid systems out there.

I prefer just to use a compound and a polish to get water spots off. You'll accomplish aa few things here over an acid system. You'll get any oxidation off the paint and will be able to work out any scratches you have. You will also be able to remove any swirls and get a fresh coat of wax on your truck. If the water spots have done any etching into the paint, then you can also remove that too. Get rid of the water spots and make your truck look new.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To add to Intel's suggestion...

Compounding may, in and of itself, introduce fine scratches and swirls but, at this point, they may be a necessary evil to remove the water spots. Black is a monster of a color to deal with; especially when it comes to something like this. Being that it's an 04' hopefully you don't have much (if any) oxidation. While it'd almost certainly work, compounding might be my last choice behind vinegar and a acid bath (these two items are very similar though) simply because of the age of the vehicle and the fact that it doesn't really sound like you're ready to detail the entire thing unless you have to...

With that being said and hopefully keeping you from having to really do a LOT of work to remove them, try the vinegar / water solution (mix 1:1). Allow the liquid some 'dwell' time (time on the paint) and then rinse it off using water. It may take a few applications but, I hope it'll do the trick for you. Apply with a 100% cotton terry towel (not some el-cheapo either -- use a nice one -- the more steps that you take to reduce the introduction of swirls and such to black, the better).

You will have to rewax the entire vehicle after using this method but, it may be an easier step for you... that call is yours though. Best of luck!!

RP

Quick Reply: Well Water Stain