ColorX or ScratchX or both?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ColorX or ScratchX or both?

For red, oxidized paint with no clear coat ('91), should I use ColorX or ScratchX, or both, and if so which first? And, where in the order? I'm thinking after paint cleaner, before polish, is that right?

Thanks!

Alynda

Old 05-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's always a very tough call to make without seeing pictures as one product may not be needed or may not help.

How oxidized are we talking about here? While both products will remove some oxidation, Color-X isn't the best at this task and Scratch-X over the entire vehicle might be a doozy to handle as it's more of a 'spot' treatment IMO.

RP

Old 05-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by natskidive
For red, oxidized paint with no clear coat ('91), should I use ColorX or ScratchX, or both, and if so which first? And, where in the order? I'm thinking after paint cleaner, before polish, is that right?

Thanks!

Alynda
Scratch X is for micro fine scratches avoid it and Color X is a joke. Go to Mequires website and look at polishes for oxidated finishes - they will list under old finished or old paint. This will remove the oxidation and clean your paint. Follow with a wax or polymer sealant (I recommend that) You're going to see alot of red when applying the polish so change applicators often. Remeber these products are developed for specific applications so use polish for old paint, not new. Other ood products are Klasse and Liqui Glass and it's pre-wax cleaner-cost more but worth it. Go to www.properautocare.com

Old 05-16-2005, 12:11 PM
Question Thanks RockPick,

I have a picture in the gallery that was taken after I washed it with Meguiar's Deep Crystal car wash. It's the best car wash I've ever used! I can only imagaine how much better the Gold Class is.

I don't know how to put the pic in my post.

I used the clay bar last night and wow does my paint feel better. I'm so glad I found this forum or I wouldn't have ever known about it! Thanks!

This is how I plan to proceed (with lots of assessing in between):

Clay Bar with Quick Detailer
Meguiar's Premium Paint Cleaner
Speed Glaze
NXT Generation Tech Wax

I'll only spot use scratchx, but where in the sequence? I'm thinking after the paint cleaner.

Should I use colorx in before the speed glaze, or between the speed glaze and NXT, or forgo it altogether?

Thanks again very much! !

Alynda

Old 05-16-2005, 12:16 PM
FMDog, hate to hear that about colorx, as I have a bottle

right here in front of me. Oh well, I'd rather find out before applying it. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2005, 12:26 PM
#81 Body Shop Professional Hand Polish instead of speed glaze?

It says it's good for oxidation.

I'm definitely learning. Thanks again!!!

Old 05-16-2005, 02:13 PM
Moderator &

It says it's good for oxidation.

I'm definitely learning. Thanks again!!!

#81 is a very good product. I keep it in my aresonal at all times and it will work to remove some oxidation. Naturally, I still have some hesitation about recommending a product here without having seen the paint.

Our 'definitions' of 'oxidation' may be night and day different...

Color-X, IMO, is a very good product but, it's not really the best for knocking down oxidation. My advice to you would be to try the Color-X in a small area (maybe on the roof where it won't be ultra-obvious) since you already have it in hand. Don't be afraid to apply multiple coats and work the product per the instructions on the bottle. If this doesn't work, don't discard the Color-X... you can use it after we get this oxidation off

Scratch-X is more of a 'individual area' type of product. In short, I don't think I'd try to tackle a full vehicle with this product because you're going to 1) wear yourself out to the max and 2) probably don't need it everywhere on the vehicle as it's meant to deal with scratches (as the name implies).

So, in recap, you're going to cause absolutely NO harm by trying the Color-X as it is a VERY good product IMO. It may, or may not, deal with all of your oxidation depending on the degree of oxidation but, it's silly not to try it. If it doesn't work, hang on to it as a 'Last Step' product as it is a cleaner wax that works well.

Hope that helps a bit...

RP

Old 05-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Link to a pic of the hood.

Thanks!
Alynda

Last edited by natskidive; 05-16-2005 at 04:19 PM. Reason: add a thanks to post.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Moderator &

Thanks!
Alynda

Hi Alynda...

I responded to your email that you sent and, after looking at your pictures, I don't know that you'd really have to go with an all-out assault like you've described. Your paint, in my opinion, looks VERY good for a vehicle of that age and thus, I really think you might be able to get away with utilizing Color-X only. It's only light/light moderate on the aggressiveness scale but, after seeing your paint, it doesn't look like you have much of a problem honestly.

Since you already have it on your shelf, I'd recommend going with it first because it seems silly to buy a bunch of stuff if you really don't need it.

RP

Old 05-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Thanks RockPick,

You make a good point. Since I already have ColorX, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Quick Reply: ColorX or ScratchX or both?