Question on touch up paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on touch up paint

You know, those little bottles the dealer sells.........
Every time I have used this in the past, it covered up the nick, but I could never get it to blend in with the fender. Like if you would be looking lengthwise along the vehicle, it would look like a small flat worm was on the side. It would stick up from the surface of the fender. Now on my truck, there are a couple of areas on the edge of the drivers door that look like it just bumped something when it opened, and I would like to cover those up with some touch up paint. I guess I don't know how to apply it properly. Maybe it's just technique.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to apply this and not have it look like a blop of paint was just thrown on?

Old 04-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As for removing the globs, I'm not sure what to tell you but, I'm sure someone can come up with something...

As for repairing the chips, I use a technique similar to the one described in THIS ARTICLE from bettercarcare.com. I've perfected the technique to the point that you CANNOT tell where the chip actually existed (it took several chips to get to this point).

Intel486 first taught me this technique and, drawing on various resources, I've kind of customized it to my own liking including getting the paint slightly dry so that you can work on vertical panels and such. It's not a cake walk but, it can be done!

The best piece of advice I can give you on touching up the chips is to be VERY VERY PATIENT! I often spend DAYS on a SINGLE chip to attempt to achieve perfection.

RP

Old 04-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Moderator &

One thing I forgot...

Mother's makes a chemical called Paint Blob Remover or something like that... We've talked about it in this forum several times... let me search a bit and see if I can point you towards it...

RP

Old 04-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Moderator &

Old 04-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank RP! That's the kind of thing I want to avoid.
Some great info there!

Old 04-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Reloader
Thank RP! That's the kind of thing I want to avoid.
Some great info there!
Sure. No problem.

Like I mentioned in that thread, I actually own some of the blob remover (w/ Langka Technology) but, I still haven't tried it out as of yet. I'll have to give it a go on the wifey-mobile first. LOL!

RP

Quick Reply: Question on touch up paint