steps in waxing

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:17 PM
#LT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steps in waxing

how do i know which order to use my waxes? i have no.7, no.26, and nxt. is there a genearl rule to go by to determine which waxes to use? such as real waxes, or polyomers, etc. can anyone explain to me how to distinguish which wax to use first? i didn't think it mattered till i read post about the order which they waxed.
thanks

Old 03-22-2005, 10:55 PM
If you are working with the 3 items you mentioned. I would use the #7, then the NXT (x2 12hrs apart), and then top with #26 a couple of days later. Use some quick detailer and wipe down your vehicle completely before applying the 26.

Make sure you prepare your vehicles surface by washing and drying real well. If needed you should also clay before using the #7.

If you need help on how to decide whether or not you need to clay do a search on it. You will find a lot of info.

Good Luck!

-slippy

Old 03-22-2005, 11:27 PM
#LT
thanks, i clayed this last weekend and it made the truck extremely smooth. if you don't mind, can you tell me how do you know which to use first? is it the ingredients in the product that determines which wax to apply first. i just want to know this for future reference in case i go with other waxes, i will know the steps to take. thanks again

Old 03-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by #LT
if you don't mind, can you tell me how do you know which to use first? is it the ingredients in the product that determines which wax to apply first. i just want to know this for future reference in case i go with other waxes, i will know the steps to take. thanks again
Basically, to determine which comes first, you need to know the purpose of each individual product.

For example, NXT is a synthetic sealant. This, typically, will be applied to a clean surface that is free of other types of wax so that the necessary bonding can occur on a molecular level. If a layer of wax (like #26) was on the paint, odds are that some of the NXT may not bond properly and thus, you'd have potentially problems in short order with durability and such.

#7 is one of Meguiar's pure polishes. A pure polish will do just what it sounds like it will do; shine. It offers no protection and is meant to add 'pop' to a vehicle. Nothing more.

There are similar 'polishes' out there that have no abrasives (like #7) but, there are also abrasive polishes out there. These polishes will utilize an abrasive ingredient to remove swirls, scratches, and other below surface blemishes on the paint. #7, because it doesn't have any of these abrasives (or agressive chemical ingredients) won't do this.

#26 is, generally, a pure wax. Again, the cleaners (abrasives etc) are not present in this product and it's meant to serve as a protection layer.

So, in recap...

You want the vehicle to be flawless first. This will, potentially, involve abrasive polishes and/or non-abrasive polishes.

Secondly, you want proetection to bond to your paint (like your NXT).

Thirdly, you can (as an optional step) add additional protection on top of your synthetic protection with a pure wax like #26.

RP

Old 03-23-2005, 04:34 AM
Good follow-up RP!

As RP discussed, there are specific products for each step of the process.

The best advice I can give you is to read up on each step of the 3 main paint detailing processes (clean,polish,protect) as you can and decide which route you'd like to go.

I learned a lot of things by utilizing the search function.

As I've mentioned before, and as you commented on your claying, etc., make sure your surface preparation is A-1.

Choose products that have been proven (ID'd through searches) and use them on a regular basis.

Once you have achieven a good base on your vehicle, it can easily be maintained using a Quick Detailer every other day or so.

Let me know if you have any more questions...Hope this helps

Good Luck

-slippy

Old 03-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I kind of like the Meg's product numbering system. All you have to do is subtract today's date from the barometric pressure (add one if it's falling, subtract one if it's rising), divide by the number of days in a lunar year, multiply by the square root of Jupiter, then see if the average Wal-Mart employee can find you a product with a number greater than their (current) number of teeth divided by their IQ - which is of course a decimal. Simple huh?

On the other hand, you could also ask somebody reasonable lilke RockPick to give you a simple answer.

Quick Reply: steps in waxing