2004 Eddie Bauer Explorer Makeover (56K Warning)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good write up and great pics RP! (pics always help)
So how long are you working the #80 on a 2x2 foot area?
I used it in the past and thought that I was going to fast too. I need to go over several area again to get the results I was aiming to achieve.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by GBTexas
Good write up and great pics RP! (pics always help)
So how long are you working the #80 on a 2x2 foot area?
I used it in the past and thought that I was going to fast too. I need to go over several area again to get the results I was aiming to achieve.
Hey GB...

I'm not exactly sure. I'm trying to go through the process with a PC in my hand and moving it across my keyboard theroetically...

Hmm... I'd say around 22 seconds for one pass from left to right over 2 feet. Make it 4 square feet and I'd double it or go up to 50 seconds or so...

I'll normally make two passes within the same area though with moderate downward pressure on the machine depending on the swirls involved...

The first few passes with any product typically take me a couple of minutes to get the feel for how the product is going to work on the individual paint. Some paint, as you know, is ultra hard, others (like the paint on my wife's old Honda) is pretty soft and easier to clean up. It will definitely vary.

Did that make any sense?

RP

Old 02-08-2005, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#9...#80...what do these numbers depict?

Old 02-08-2005, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
LOL! You know I love ya WMR!

Old 02-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RockPick,

I always thought that glaze just temporarily filled minor swirls as opposed to removing them. Don't get me wrong, if I really want something to pop, I go right for the glaze. But don't you want to remove as many of the micro scratches first?

That said, the Explorer really looked great. Another great job by the master! So, what's it like having TWO dark colored vehicles now?

Old 02-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Josiah
#9...#80...what do these numbers depict?
Sorry Josiah. I should've been a bit more clear.

Lots of times you'll hear folks mention products by their 'abbreviated' name here.

#9 refers to Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover
#80 refers to Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze

In short, it's a product number.

RP

Old 02-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by 2stroked
RockPick,

I always thought that glaze just temporarily filled minor swirls as opposed to removing them. Don't get me wrong, if I really want something to pop, I go right for the glaze. But don't you want to remove as many of the micro scratches first?

That said, the Explorer really looked great. Another great job by the master! So, what's it like having TWO dark colored vehicles now?
Hey 2stroked...

#80 Speed Glaze really isn't a glaze by the old definition. You're right (or in my opinion you are) that a glaze will offer a brilliant shine and offer some filling capabilities to some of the blemishes. #80 is different. It's more along the lines of a #9 or similar in that it's abrasive and offers the diminishing microscopic abrasives that many of the Meguiar's products offer.

Two dark colored vehicles... whew. I didn't get a chance to do my truck this past weekend even though I had full intentions. Much to my dismay, I noticed a very very slight amount of swirling when it was out in the sun. You wouldn't believe the hoops I jump through to ensure that I'm being careful about causing swirls. I can easily get them out but, black is going to be a beast...

RP

Old 02-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RP,

Hmmm, now I've got to get me some of that stuff. Thanks for the clarification. Keep up the good work!

Old 02-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Yep, just as I though. I go over areas way, way to fast when using my PC. I will slow it down and I bet I don't have to apply as many coats and it would in the end be fast too.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RockPick
Sorry Josiah. I should've been a bit more clear.

Lots of times you'll hear folks mention products by their 'abbreviated' name here.

#9 refers to Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover
#80 refers to Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze

In short, it's a product number.

RP
Appreciate it bud, sounds like I will have to pick me up some of these products, which is the number for small to medium scratch remover.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Moderator &

That's a really tough call without seeing the problem. Also, the color that you're working with may play a factor in an answer here...

#9 is very commonly available and can be used on small or large areas. It may take a few applications to deal with scuffing, scratching, or etching but, with persistance, you'll be able to remove them.

We can always go to a more abrasive product if #9 fails but, from my experiences, it'll take care of it if you're patient...

RP

Quick Reply: 2004 Eddie Bauer Explorer Makeover (56K Warning)