Steps After Washing/Drying? Clay? or Swirl Remover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steps After Washing/Drying? Clay? or Swirl Remover?

Allright... Boss, Rockpick, I'm sure you can answer this, or anyone for that matter, but I have a Black F150, and swirl marks flock to this truck almost as bad as the ladies.......or I wish...!

Anyways, Should I clay the paint before I apply Meguires Scratch X, or vice versa? And can I polish immediately after applying either the clay or the scratch x? Thanks a bunch! And what is your recommendation on Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealent? Is this product/ brand line any good? Thanks for the help!

Old 12-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Re: Steps After Washing/Drying? Clay? or Swirl Remover?

Originally posted by Merek3CS
Allright... Boss, Rockpick, I'm sure you can answer this, or anyone for that matter, but I have a Black F150, and swirl marks flock to this truck almost as bad as the ladies.......or I wish...!

Anyways, Should I clay the paint before I apply Meguires Scratch X, or vice versa? And can I polish immediately after applying either the clay or the scratch x? Thanks a bunch! And what is your recommendation on Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealent? Is this product/ brand line any good? Thanks for the help!
Clay and then use the Scratch X. Make sure you use your clay with a lubricant such as soap and water or detailing spray. When you are using clay you are not actually applying clay to the truck, although some clay residue will get left behind when you do it. Clay is used to lift surface contaminations from your paint.

After claying wash your truck to get rid of any clay residue or lubricant.

Now apply your Scratch X and polish your truck. When you are done claying and polishing you may want to apply a pre wax cleaner to your truck and then re-seal it with a wax because sometimes claying will strip your wax. I recommend a Carnauba wax for black paint. I think it looks a little better on this color.

If you would like some additional info on claying, polishing, or waxing, you may want to read these how-to articles.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-19-2004, 07:16 PM
freebirdz,

Hmmmmmmmm............. excellent advise! However, I see your "home page" is also the same site you are linking too? Are you affiliated with that site? By some chance, if someone reads those "how-to's", and then "buys" some stuff that's available on that site............ do you stand to make anything? If so, that's SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I'm reporting that link to the moderator!

Old 12-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Re: Steps After Washing/Drying? Clay? or Swirl Remover?

Originally posted by Merek3CS

Merek3CS,

Anyhow........... back to your questions!

The normal process goes like this:

Wash
Clay (remove the surface contaminates)
Paint Cleaner (remove sub-surface contaminates)
Cleaner/Polish/SMR (remove imperfections - like your ScratchX)
Glaze (if you want)
Wax/Sealant
QD

Yes, I've tried a little sample of the Wolfgang Sealant........ pretty nice stuff. However, to be honest, they are all pretty good. You could use Meguiar's NXT, Poorboy's EX/EX-P, 4* UPP, Menzerna FMJ, and several others............ they will all work great, provided you do the prep right.

P.S. I like to top any sealant with a fine carnauba........ especially on dark colors.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
freebirdz,

Hmmmmmmmm............. excellent advise! However, I see your "home page" is also the same site you are linking too? Are you affiliated with that site? By some chance, if someone reads those "how-to's", and then "buys" some stuff that's available on that site............ do you stand to make anything? If so, that's SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I'm reporting that link to the moderator!
Boss_429,

I'm really sorry you feel this way. Don't you think if I was trying to profit off a post I would target someone else that doesn't already have their products?

I hate spammers also. My true motivation is to help people out with their detailing questions. I felt that for this post it was easier to point the poster to a few of my articles that explains everything in detail if he/she wanted to learn more. If I was spamming, don't you think that I would lead people to my product pages and tell them that they should use that particular product?

No matter what you think, my site is a resource to help people. And FYI I already contacted the site webmaster about becoming a F150online.com advertiser before you called me a spammer.

I like this site and believe in the community that supports it. Beleive it or not, I don't blame you for doing what you did. That's exactly what I like about this site. I'm sure you were just looking out for the best interest of the community. (I came to this realization after I calmed down about you calling me a spammer )

Anyway, I hope you can understand, and there are no hard feelings between us.

-Jerod

Old 12-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Much appreciation Freebirds and boss.... it all makes sense now.....

I'll throw the process down in the next few days and see how well it all works out. Thanks again.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:28 AM
Merek3CS,

You're welcome! Let us know how it works out.

freebirdz,

Let's just say........ I'm glad you decided to become a sponsor............ I'll let it go at that!

Quick Reply: Steps After Washing/Drying? Clay? or Swirl Remover?