Porter Cable swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Porter Cable swirl marks

97 F150,dark blue
Just recently I took my truck to a touchless car wash and detail place.I asked the detail mgr. about some scratches on my truck and what he suggested to try and hide/buff them out.He said he would show me how to help make them less noticeable.He took his PC and some kind of soft compound and started on a few of the scratches.Well,it did help some,but now you can see the circular motions from the process.They are very noticeable when the sun hits them.Is there any product out there to remove these swirls?

Old 12-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First and foremost, YES, we can get them out.

Secondly, let's discuss why they occurred. In my opinion, there are two main potential reasons that the swirls may have been introduced when he was trying to remove the scratch.

1) Polish was too abrasive: This is a very common mistake made by some folks in that they select a polish that is too abrasive and ultimately make more work for themselves in the long run. That's not to say that he could've got the scratch out with a lighter polish but, more to say that he didn't finish the job. In short, often times a very abrasive polish must be utilized to remove some surface imperfections (scratches etc...) but, after using that product often times one will have to utilize a lighter polish to remove the blemishes caused by the heavier polish. It's a double edged sword -- damned if you do, damned if you don't. The good news is that it simply sounds like he just didn't use the right products to FINISH the job.

2) Improper Pad/PC Technique: Too much downward pressure with any pad/product can cause scratching (which is what swirl marks really are...). I can't attest for how the guy did this job but, if he used a dirty pad that may have had some other type of polish on it or similar, odds are he could've introduced some that way. Similarly, if the pad was mis-stored in a very dusty environment or on the floor etc... that certainly could introduce problems to the paint.

Now, with that being said, I'd consider utilizing a couple of products from this point.

First, I'd go out and find Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 and follow the instructions explicitly. This is a very light polish and should remove any scouring marks/swirl marks that were introduced when removing the scratch. This product may need to be used multiple times and requires you working the product until it has a very light wet cut (aka: almost dry). Remove the product and look at it again. From there, reapply if necessary.

Be reminded that, when you polish, you are removing clear coat (aka: clear paint). This is a very necessary evil and, in the manner I've described, presents no problem to your paint in the long term (unless you're using it 5X daily).

Once you've managed to get 99% of the swirls out with the #9 product, I'd recommend going with a high-quality cleaner-wax like Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. This product is commonly available anywhere car care stuff is sold.

This should nearly eliminate the remaining scours/swirls and add a level of protection that is excellent. Feel free to apply multiple coats of this product as well.

Any other questions, just ask.

RP

Old 12-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanx for the very informative reply RP!
Where can I find this #9 polish,Pep Boys,maybe? Can I do it by hand and with what type of applicator? BTW,I have some Megs cleaner wax.Very good product!
:santa:

Old 12-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, RP's post covered it nicely, as usual!

You can usually find #9 at PepBoy's or other good Auto Parts stores. Yes, you can use #9 by hand, and the Meguiar's foam applicators work well with #9. Although, a good terry cloth applicator/towel will let you get a little more aggressive with the #9 than the foam app will. You might need to be a bit more aggressive to get the spider web marks out initially.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter
Thanx for the very informative reply RP!

No problem.

Where can I find this #9 polish,Pep Boys,maybe? Can I do it by hand and with what type of applicator? BTW,I have some Megs cleaner wax.Very good product!
Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is an excellent product. I, too, keep it in my aresonal and use it often.

Pep Boys and AutoZone both carry #9. Should be around $10 for the bottle.

RP

Quick Reply: Porter Cable swirl marks