light scratches removal ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
light scratches removal ?'s

well i am glad to be back since i've been lazy for quit some time. to all that know me, what is up? and to those that don't, what is up? anyway, a lot of changes since my last visit, a real lot, can't believe Boss sold out! if your still around Boss, sorry to see you go! you've helped me quite a bit as well. well i guess let's get down to business. i have still been taking care of my baby regularly, but i wiould like to know two things...one, about how many coats of good ol' Meguires swirl remover #9 should i use? do i keep on layering it up till the swirls disappear? or will that damage my clear coat? next thing, when using show car glaze, it tends to clump up in spots when applying it. why? oh i guess one more thing, this one is for RP, man yopu got some collecting of pretty car care stuff!! i was wondering if you could name them out. like the big gallons of products that you own, i know that you must have got them from a body shop huh? just curious! thanks guys and gals! Willie D

Old 12-03-2004, 06:54 AM
Hey Willie,

I'm still around!

Anyhow, first, keep in mind that you are not really layering #9. It is a mild abrasive polish that removes a tiny, tiny bit of paint, and then leaves behind some oils/fillers that will hide help hide swirls. Being a mildly abrasive product, with lots of oils for lubrication, you can use #9 frequently (once every couple months or so) without fear of damaging the clearcoat (if used properly). However, if two initial applications of the #9 does not remove/hide the swirls, you may need to step up to a more abrasive product to use before the #9. (If you have a PC)

As for #7, it can be tricky. Try this..........

Make sure you shake the bottle extremely well first!
Did I mention that you should shake the bottle well!
Do not apply to a hot surface.
Do not apply to an extremely cold surface.
Apply an EXTREMELY thin, even layer of the product. (Essentially, you are just applying a thin layer of oils/silicones)
Let it haze up (the oils will flash, and a kind of hazy "skin" will appear)
Very, very, very, very lightly (get it ) , go over the hazed/skin area with a 100% cotton towel. Don't "rub" the area........... you are just trying to remove/cut through that thin skin that has formed. Do this to the entire vehicle.
Then, come back with a good MF towel, and lightly wipe down the entire vehicle again to remove any remaining excess. Again, you are not trying to "buff" the product, just removing the excess.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Boss said it better that I could've... See his response.

As for my products, I'll try to do that this weekend although, I'm not sure when I'll have time...

Primarily, I've obtained my 'bulk' products through Meguiar's or Premiumautocare.com.

RP

Old 12-10-2004, 10:40 PM
just got back from doing big circles in the ocean flying AV8 Harriers for the week, so i just checked the site. thanks for the reply Boss and RP. i will put that to work next week some time. also, had a little problem over the week that i was gone. apparently someone tried to fit my big truck in a tight spot! i also have that problem else where, fitting big things into tight spots, but that is another web site!! anyway, got some major marring on the side rails, any hints how to get them out, then bring the chrome back to shine? i understand the whole sanding process, till i'm blue in the face, but just what is going to get the shine back after all the sanding goes down? plus, any recommendations on a buffer? thanks guys, Willie

Old 12-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The plastic bed rails?

Old 12-12-2004, 12:03 AM
no. the chrome step rails. but upon further investigation while cleaning the truck, they are not too bad, once i scrubbed the concrete out of them!!! but i figured i couild buff them out with a cotton buff pad with my dremel. so not too bad. but thanks.

Quick Reply: light scratches removal ?'s