questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions

I see everyone talking about the best waxes and stuff but what about soap ?? Any kind favored? Also My uncle has a guy come and detail his truck every 2 weeks and he uses a pressure washer i just wanted to know is that a good idea? Last do i have to order the mothers products and all online or can i go to a local store and pick them up?

Old 12-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Wink

Washing can be a double-edged sword, as even the mildest soaps can remove the protection from your truck's paint, causing premature oxidation. Detergents can dull your truck's finish even faster.

The high-quality car wash shampoos made today are very gentle on paint, plastic and rubber. A good car wash shampoo provides lubrication to prevent scratching and conditioners to maintain the shine. Be sure to select a quality product that's not counterproductive to your other detailing efforts. Here is a very informative article about washing and drying your truck.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: questions

Originally posted by shawk
I see everyone talking about the best waxes and stuff but what about soap ?? Any kind favored? Also My uncle has a guy come and detail his truck every 2 weeks and he uses a pressure washer i just wanted to know is that a good idea? Last do i have to order the mothers products and all online or can i go to a local store and pick them up?
I have oodles of favorites but, if I had to put my finger on an individual, I'd have to go with Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo. It's cheap, very readily available (Target sells it by the gallon for $9), and it offers high lubrication and sudsing action which is essential for removing surficial contamination.

Freebirdz, on the other hand, is exactly right. It IS a double edged sword and thus, you must stay ahead of the game to make sure that your vehicle is properly protected. This means that, the more you wash, the more you're going to need to wax (and probably polish).

RP

Old 12-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Re: Re: questions

Originally posted by RockPick
I have oodles of favorites but, if I had to put my finger on an individual, I'd have to go with Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo. It's cheap, very readily available (Target sells it by the gallon for $9), and it offers high lubrication and sudsing action which is essential for removing surficial contamination.

Freebirdz, on the other hand, is exactly right. It IS a double edged sword and thus, you must stay ahead of the game to make sure that your vehicle is properly protected. This means that, the more you wash, the more you're going to need to wax (and probably polish).

RP
I need to polish...

Old 12-02-2004, 06:35 AM
Re: questions

Originally posted by shawk
shawk,

As usual, the other guys have covered it pretty well! I'll try to answer your other questions.

First, I'd be REALLY, REALLY careful using a pressure washer. I don't like them, as they can do damage quickly. The only time I use any type of pressure washer is in the winter at the touchless car wash. I stand way back from the vehicle, and use the wand to remove some of the salt and other crap before I wash by hand.

Secondly, you can usually find Mothers', Meguiar's, Turtle Wax and a few other product lines at Automotive parts stores, and sometimes at Mart stores. When I can, I try to buy stuff locally. However, I find myself buying stuff online more and more....... it's just so easy, saves time, and I can order exactly what I want.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:23 AM

thanks alot guys i am glad you didnt leave boss

Quick Reply: questions