04 Windshield Seems To Scratch Easy

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Windshield Seems To Scratch Easy

SO I DESIDE TO PARK MY NEW TRUCK UNDER A SHADE TREE. FIGURE IT WILL COOL DOWN ENOUGH SO I COULD DO A LITTLE DETAILING

I GAVE IT A COUPLE OF HOURS AND WHEN I WENT BACK OUT TO THE TRUCK, IT LOOKED LIKE A PTERODACTYLS TOOK A CRAP ON IT.

IT WAS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A GRAPEFRUIT. I SOAK IT WITH WINDOW CLEANER AND THEN WIPED IT OFF

WHEN I JUMPED IN TO THE TRUCK, THERE IT WAS, STARING ME IN THE FACE

A SWIRL OF SCRATCH'S. I TOOK IT TO A LOCAL SHOP TO HAVE THEM REPAIR IT.

BUT, IT HAPPENED AGAIN. I NOW I AM BEING CAREFUL. I BABY THIS TRUCK MORE THAN MY GIRL

IT JUST SEEMS THAT THE WINDSHIELD SCRATCH'S TOO EASY....ANYBODY ELSE OR DO I NEED THERAPY?

Last edited by MRBIG; 09-15-2004 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:38 AM
Hi MRBIG,

Why do you use ALL CAPS in your posts? That's usually read as "shouting" in online forums...

What did you use to wipe your windshield? I haven't gotten scratched in my '04s windshield yet (10 months, 15,000 miles). I use a waffle weave microfiber towel when I need to cleand the windshield/windows.

What did the local shop do to repair the scratches in you windshield?

I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem, but you never know. If it continues to be a problem, bring it to the dealer to show them.

Good luck,

Old 09-15-2004, 07:47 AM
Sorry, about the caps.........it is an italian thing. Were always shouting.

I used a microfiber cloth.....I use the same type of cloths on my harley and never left a mark.

The winshield shop said it could be because the birds are picking up gravel when they eat. I don't now.

They did this process with a small buffing wheel and special paste that takes the scratches out. This takes away from the layers of the windshield. if the scratches are deep you will see a distortion in the glass.

They only recommend this for fine scratches

look no shouting

Old 09-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by MRBIG
.........it is an italian thing. Were always shouting.
That's funny. Now if you could only show that you're your also moving your hands around for emphasis while you're talking/shouting...

I'll have to watch out for pterodactyls the next time I'm in Jersey. Look on the bright side: better that it targeted your windshield instead of your paint...imagine the marks you would have had then.

There have been some distortion problems in the '04 windshields, so the glass quality might be considered suspect. I would definitely bring it up with the dealer if it happens again...

-John

Old 09-15-2004, 08:07 AM
this is about the amount of hand movement during my visit to the glass shop.....just no dancing...lol

Thanks john

PS thanks for the spelling lesson (pterodactyls).....

Last edited by MRBIG; 09-15-2004 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by MRBIG
thanks for the spelling lesson (pterodactyls).....
I keep a dictionary on my desk...I had to look it up myself.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:15 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/

And that musta been some wicked bird sheet, I've wiped my glass with stuff a lot worse than a MF towel and have zero scratching.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dzervit
http://dictionary.reference.com/

And that musta been some wicked bird sheet, I've wiped my glass with stuff a lot worse than a MF towel and have zero scratching.
dictionary.com rocks!

But seriously, I've been following the progression of this thread and I'm wondering if the glass company may be correct in saying that the birds have ingested sand granules or similar. I've never heard of glass scratching that easily and, for that case, it actually takes some pretty stout stuff to scratch glass (quartz etc -- I could go into the whole Mohr's Hardness Scale thing but I'll refrain as I don't think a geology lesson is warranted).

Very odd. Is it actual scratching or is the glass etched by the poo? I have seen glass etched by berry/acid bird poo.... it's a booger to remove.

RP

Old 09-15-2004, 04:38 PM
There was no berry/acid bird poo......not that i did a taste test but it seemed to be a normal bird dropping.

The windshield has a light scratch deep enough for you to feel it with you finger nail.

The worste time was at night when the head lights hit it.Then it really stuck out.

When i cleaned it the first time i soaked it before i wiped it. i didn't feel anything on the cloth that would even indicate that i was scratching the windshield.

Then it happed one more time.

I used a garden hose to blast off most of it then wiped it with a new microfiber cloth and it now has a new scratch the size of an orange.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
VERY strange. I'm puzzled by this one. I've never seen bird poo of this texture...urr... yeah, texture I guess. Next time you have poo on your windshield, take a sample of it and send it to Boss_429.

Honestly though, I'm not sure on this one as I'm not experienced with buffing out glass (although, as you pointed out, I know it can be done). This one might have to stand as MYSTERY POO!

RP

Old 09-15-2004, 07:36 PM
mystery poo

lol

Old 09-15-2004, 09:51 PM
I'm totally stumped as well... and I know it all!

Flawed manufacturing of the glass? Only think I can think of... I'd be worried if a mystery pooh can put a serious scratch in it, a pebble on the freeway should be capable of piercing the window and lodging into my skull!!! I'd demand a replacement ASAP.

It doesn't take a lesson from RP on Mohr's Hardness Scale to understand this shouldn't have happened, and something HAS GOT to be wrong with the glass...

Old 09-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Hey MRBIG, im, not sure where you are in Jersey, but down here at the shore, the friggin seaguls eat everything in site. Then when they crap all over everything Ive seen big chunks of sea shells in there crap.

Heres my theory:

Its actually two theorys, one, if it was a seagul I would imagine as I stated above that if it were the POO (as were calling it) and the gul had eaten shells prior to leaving you the present he may have bombed your windshield with poo covered shells. You know as well as I do, broken up seashells or clam shells are sharp as heck, and can cut like razors sometimes. Maybe thats what happened as it hit the windshield, the projectiles scratched your glass.

The only other thing I can think of is that the bird was trying to bust a clam shell open. They take them high up in the sky and drop them. The shell opens for the bird and he eats his lunch. Unfortunate and coinsidental it may sound, but he may have dropped it on your windshield and then he or another bird then crapped on it.
Thats all I can think of. Beware the Seaguls!!

Old 09-16-2004, 09:41 PM
As entertaining as that post is, i feel it would be a long flight inland to have chosen my windshield for a sea shell bombardment.

the only body of water is the creek that runs along the side of my property.

since the vandalism, i took the mighty chainsaw to the shade tree,that the elusive pteradactyl has used for his perch.

i have yet to see him/her return.

there is an easy fix to this.

my cheap *** needs to build a garage big enough for my truck

Quick Reply: 04 Windshield Seems To Scratch Easy