Platinum UPC & UPP

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Platinum UPC & UPP

Finally got around to trying out the Platinum products (Shampoo, UPC, & UPP) I bought several months back. Here's my take on having tried them.

Vehicle Detailed:
2000 Dodge Durango (Wife's car) / Color: Chili Pepper Red Pearl

Notes:
1 - Application - Both UPC & UPP were very easy to apply both with my PC DA buffer as well as by hand.
2 - Removal - Again, both products were very easy to remove using some good MF cloths. Make sure to allow UPP to dry (and bond) for at least 30 minutes before removing it for best results.
3 - Final Shine / Gloss - Good, but as has been mentioned elsewhere on the board, not as deep or glossy as I can achieve with a good carnuba finish.
4 - Longevity - Jury's still out on that one. I'll have to wait a few weeks to see.

Final Impressions:
Very easy product to use and get good results with. Personally, I think it would really work better on a light colored vehicle (i.e. white, silver, etc) where depth of finish is not as big an issue. Overall, they're very nice products to work with.

One disclaimer I have to make, is that the paint quality on our Durango is about as bad as any vehicle I've ever detailed in my life. The clear coat is so thin that everything stains or etchs the paint. The paint itself is so thin in places that I swear you can see the color change from the primer underneath it. Dodge needs to completely re-think their paint processes (among other things).

A final question for those of you that have used UPC. How do I clean it out of my buffing pad? The yellow buffing pad I used is almost grey/black now.

Hope this info is helpful to anyone considering giving Platinum products a try on their truck.

-Mike-

Last edited by BigDeal; 01-01-2004 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:26 AM
BigDeal,

Sounds like a pretty fair assessment of the Platinum line. Some people like that type of look more than others. I also agree that UPP (and other sealants) do tend to look better on light colored vehicles.

As for the pads, some products can be real bugger to get out. I've recently heard that "Murphys Soap" is a great product for cleaning pads..................... I plan on getting some, and trying it this spring. I would also try soaking them a bit in some Simple Green and water or another APC and water. Then rinse them out, and soak them again with Dawn and water, and rinse.......... that should do it.

Last edited by Boss_429; 01-03-2004 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the pad cleaning tips Boss. I'll give what you suggested a whirl.

As for 'Platinum' products, I couldn't find them on Dwayne's site the other day, so I emailed him to see what was up. He sent me a reply today and noted that the name of the product line has been changed. They are now called "Four Star Ultimate Series" due to a trademark issue. Just thought I'd pass that little bit of info along in case you or someone else goes looking for some.

Happy New Year.

-Mike-

Old 01-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice review Mike.

Quick Reply: Platinum UPC & UPP