obital buffer

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
obital buffer

i am wanting to buy a good orbital buffer, i was wonder what a good one was, my uncle has a craftsman, and i like it, but was wondering what else was out there.

Old 12-05-2003, 06:17 AM
Re: obital buffer

Originally posted by Stoner150
i am wanting to buy a good orbital buffer, i was wonder what a good one was, my uncle has a craftsman, and i like it, but was wondering what else was out there.
The PC (Porter Cable 7424 or the 7336) are considered to be at the top of the pack. I have the 7424 and really like it. Also, the DeWalt DW443 is also a fine orbital, and some like it better than the PC!

Hope this helps!

Old 12-05-2003, 01:20 PM
if you used Meguairs #26 yellow wax, you wouldnt need a buffer

Old 12-05-2003, 01:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Green_98
if you used Meguairs #26 yellow wax, you wouldnt need a buffer
But, in his defense to buy a buffer, you can apply and remove #26 with a buffer.

I'm trying to convince myself to get one honestly... we'll see if it happens.

RP

Old 12-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Yep, the buffer is better suited to using light to mild polishes, and paint cleaners. However, some people are using the Buffer with a buffing pad, and a Meguiar's bonnet over the pad to remove waxes/sealants with good success. Still, if you're not going to do much polishing with products like DACP, or SMR with a product like #9 or similar products, then a buffer is probably not necessary.

Do I believe that I can achieve better results (looks/gloss) with a buffer.................... YEP......... I know that for sure! Would others notice those same results on my vehicles................ probably not!

Old 12-05-2003, 09:06 PM
Moderator &

So Boss...

Should I get the PC? I'm still scared to death of the thing but, I figure it's time to go to the next level.

I get INCREDIBLE results by hand with products like PPP, #26, & #9 (just to name a few) but, I'm really anxious to 'try' the buffer.

Should I just stick with my typical procedure? Will I really notice any difference? How prone am I to totally screw the pooch?

Decisions... Decisions...

RP

Old 12-05-2003, 09:42 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-07-2005 at 09:45 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
So Boss...

Should I get the PC? I'm still scared to death of the thing but, I figure it's time to go to the next level.

I get INCREDIBLE results by hand with products like PPP, #26, & #9 (just to name a few) but, I'm really anxious to 'try' the buffer.

Should I just stick with my typical procedure? Will I really notice any difference? How prone am I to totally screw the pooch?

RP
RP,

First, there's nothing to be worried about using the PC........ almost impossible to do any damage to the paint, unless you bump the backing plate against a mirror or something! You would have to do something really bizzare to create a problem. The PC just doesn't generate enough heat to do any paint damage (unlike the rotary).

Will you notice any difference.............. well, I see some, and I suspect with your eye, you will too. Just how much you see depends on what you use the PC for. For example, for a product like #9, it is really nice (and easy) to remove light swirls with a polishing pad, and then make another pass over the vehicle with the #9, and a finishing pad............ produces a great gloss! Also, using it with the paint cleaner, and a polishing pad really cleans and brightens the paint............ in a hurry! In addition, if you ever get some slightly tougher swirls/scratches, you can go to a product like DACP, and a cutting pad, then follow up with the #9 and a polishing pad, and do a pretty nice job. You can also use it to remove waxes/sealants for a little nicer "buff" with Meguiar's bonnets. Keep in mind, that it won't "work miracles" on bad scratches............ you need a rotary for that........ sometimes new paint!

Anyhow, what you need to consider is this:

The PC will cost you around $120 or so with the 6" backing plate.

I like the 5" backing plate with the Meguiar's 6 1/2" pads...... that will cost you another $15 or so.

Then, you'll need at least two polishing pads (3 would be better), and two finishing pads, and maybe one cutting pad! So, you're talking another $50 to $70 in pads.

If you go for the Meguiar's bonnets for removal, that's an extra $15 or so for a couple of them.

That means you'll have around $200 invested to do it right......... you'll need to decide if the investment will be worth it! For me it is!

If you decide to go for it, and have any more questions, or just have more questions, let me know!

Old 12-05-2003, 11:02 PM
i don't knwo if i really need one, yet especially for $150, i will wait considering i just put in lightning replica lights, getting new speakers this weekend ( old ones are all blown out) and just put in a new DPFE sensor ($82 )

Old 12-05-2003, 11:42 PM
Moderator &

Thanks Boss. I think that's something that I'm going to have to weigh out but, I think I'd like to have it.

How long do pads typically last you? I know that will be dependent upon use but, do you have a rough estimation? I mean, is this something I'm going to have to buy quite regularly or a once a year item?

Any other insight? Hrrm...

RP

Old 12-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have used a Cyclo Dual head for about 8 years now, and love it.

Dad has the PC, with the back pad conversion, and now the new small pad set that I got him from properautocare. Those are real nice for the motorcycles.

Either way, the PC or the Cyclo, and you will be happy. I am just used to using the Cyclo dual head after all these years.

The pads last about 1 season, if you are washing them regularly, so on a Cyclo, that is about 8.00 per year I think in consumables.

Nice part is there are MF bonets, cotton bonets, lambs wool bonets, and brush sets for carpet, and different pads, and bonets for polishing bare metal ( the Cyclo was origionally an Airplane buffer ).

Good luck with your choice, you won;'t be sorry about it.

sms

Old 12-06-2003, 10:25 AM
Thanks Boss. I think that's something that I'm going to have to weigh out but, I think I'd like to have it.

How long do pads typically last you? I know that will be dependent upon use but, do you have a rough estimation? I mean, is this something I'm going to have to buy quite regularly or a once a year item?

Any other insight? Hrrm...

RP
RP,

Yea, it's hard to say how long the pads will last. I haven't worn any out yet, but I'm guessing I should get between 10 - 20 uses out of a pad. That means I'm good for 2 or 3 years with the 6 pads I have (1 cutting, 3 polishing, 2 finishing). If you happen to get a divet in the pad surface, it probably should be thrown away, as the divets tend to cause swirls.

Keep in mind that you should (but don't have too) dedicate a pad to each product. Meguiar's recommends not washing them, but I do, which allows me to use different products on them without too much concern.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 12-06-2003, 12:04 PM
Moderator &

Thanks guys... I'm really going to have to think about this one...

Old 12-07-2003, 10:11 AM
So Boss...

RP
Buffers are great..Just learn to use it on the wifes or kids car.

Old 12-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Rumluver
Buffers are great..Just learn to use it on the wifes or kids car.
LOL! I wish I had a beater that I could experiment on rather than my truck or the wifey's 02 Accord.

I'd try it on hers but, I don't want to face her wrath if a screw it up. LOL!

Quick Reply: obital buffer