Storing Detail Products

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Storing Detail Products

Hey all just a quick question - how do you store your detail products? I know most of you probably just have a shelf in the garage, but I'm thinking as I head into the winter (first icy roads showed up around here this morning) that I don't know if my detailing products should be stored in the unheated garage. I gathered them all up and put them in a little cupboard in the mudporch that goes down to our basement which works well, but I miss the pride of seeing my goodies all lined up in the garage.

Do any of you have a good mobile organizer that you use? I think my last Meguiars catalog had an organizer/bucket for about $35, anyone have that?

And has anyone experienced any problems with their products freezing/losing potency from being stored in a cold garage?

thanks all

-Graphic

Old 12-03-2003, 11:38 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an unheated detached garage where I keep my detailing supplies in the summer. I just keep them on a shelf or two in the garage. But, for the winter, I put all the liquids and pastes in a box and leave in my basement on a storage rack. unorganized in that box, but I don't use them too often when it gets cold.

Old 12-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Most of what I have, have a notice printed on the package that says protect from freezing.

I have good luck with the 12 Gal Keeper Boxes. These are the ones that have the lid split in the center, that have over laping fingers. Most of the time you will see them for storing christmas stuff in them ( Green Body w/ Red lid ).

I had to go with the translucent ones from The Container Store, so they all look the same, and they don't look like a bunch of Elves yacked on the shelf.

With this in mind, I am somewhat of a near freek, so cardboard doesn;t do it for me

Old 12-04-2003, 06:07 AM
I keep my stuff sorted into plastic milk crates on a couple of storage racks in my basement.

Yes, not only can freezing cause a product to lose it's potency, it can ruin the product period.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:01 AM
In the winter I take my detailing supplies “Zaino” out of the garage and put them in a closet in the house. My house is over the garage but the garage is not heated and can get cold. We have had temps in the 20’s to 30’s this week and though the garage may stay around 40 or so I still bring the supplies in the house to protect them from possible freezing.

There would be nothing worse to find out the first time you use them that they are no good. Then your out the money and have to wait on detailing until they are replaced.

Quick Reply: Storing Detail Products