Thoughts on Ziebart (rust and paint protection)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on Ziebart (rust and paint protection)?

I just purchased my vehicle over the weekend and was about to spend over $550 on undercarriage rust protection, paint and rust protection on the exterior, and some other small detail that I cannot recall. But, I was attending a wedding and talked to my cousin (he has always been a huge truck guy and has worked on them for years, pretty knowledgeable guy) and he informed me that he advised against it because it traps moisture and he has seen it rot out the floor boards, side panels, etc. He explained to me that unless you get it done every year it it not very effective, if not have a negative effect on my vehicle. He told me the best thing to do is, wax it 4 times a year and spray it of every once in a while during winter (because of the salt they put on the road).

Thanks in advance fellas for any answers...Adam

Trying to learn all I can.

Ziebart...Yeah or Neah.

Old 10-07-2003, 12:06 AM
I have seen the effects of rustproofing trapping moisture. the '97 and later use a galvanized body that seems to be holding up well. The only thing I worry about is the frame. here in the rust belt, I know of several trucks (12 years old or more) with frame problems. I just keep an eye on it and wherever the frame gets surface rust, I coat it with wheel bearing grease applied with a small paintbrush. but anyway, I would say no on the undercoating because the bodies are galvanized now.

Old 10-07-2003, 07:02 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 99 frame was looking pretty bad on the surface after 4 salty winters. The rest was fine. I may consider the undercoating on the frame only, but not the rest. Or, pick up a couple cans of it and spray yourself.

Skip the paint treatment. There is nothing that will last more than 8 months. Better off investing in a good sealant if you don't like waxing often.

Old 10-07-2003, 10:36 PM
THanks

Thanks guys. Your replies were informative and I was leaning that direction (no coating). Your responses just solidified my thoughts (i.e., no coating for me).

I appreciate your responses....Adam

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Ziebart (rust and paint protection)?