Meguiars Gold

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiars Gold

What do you guys think of Meguiars Gold for those of us who just do not have time for a multi step process? I picked up a bottle for my 1996 Ranger. I liked it so much some ended up on the 2004 Lariat. The 1966 Mooney might be next, but wondering what the experience of others is with this product.

Old 09-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For a one step process, it's pretty darn good stuff. I think you'd be amazed at the difference if you do a multi-step process such as:

1) Clay
2) Polish (Meguiars #7 or #9)
3) Wax (Meguiars #26)
4) Wax again...

The only thing that I think you'll notice on the GOLD CLASS is that it won't last very long. It leaves a great shine and is awesome for about a solid 2 months... then you'll start to see some wear. This will be true for most all of the quality carnauba waxes on the market (GC included). If you really want longevity and such, you'll probably have to switch to a synthetic like Klasse or Zaino.

RP

Old 09-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Waxed S'Crew with two coats of Meguiars Gold before going to Florida. Ran into a driving rain storm in South Broward, drove out of it in South Dade, no more Meguirs was left on the Truck. RainX was still on Windsheild. Use left over Meguiars on Lawn tractor, its never driven in the rain!

Old 09-22-2003, 10:10 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience is similar to Aftrmidnite. Gold Class looks great for a week, or until it rains or I wash it again. It may protect for longer, but the gloss was gone after 1 week on my daily drivers. I was very unimpressed.

I highly recommend S100 and its paint cleaner. For $25 a set, they will make your car look great and last for about 2 months. I would say the reflections are less than Gold Class, but the depth is much improved. And, the pair take less than 30 minutes to apply and remove. Really great stuff.

For a true one step, long lasting product, Klass All In One is probably the best.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Yup, yup,

Gold Class is a great wax, easy to apply, but doesnt last!
If you get a week out of it, you will be doing good.

I normally put 2 coats of Gold Class on top of my 6 or 7 coats of Liquid Glass, this adds a little extra depth to the shine.

Use it if you want a great looking wax, but be prepared to wax often.

Habibi

Old 09-22-2003, 11:35 PM
Moderator &

Okay guys, let's be REALLY fair here. And, lets face it, I even suggested Zaino so, hear me out...

You're going to get more than a week of use out of the wax. I'm sorry guys... that's simply absurd. The wax that you put on your vehicle at the darn car wash will last longer than a week...

You will get better than a month under nearly any environment.

If you guys are basing it on the 'sheeting' action of the wax versus beading, you're missing the boat here. My Zaino'd tailgate only sheets the water (and always has since I Z'd the gate(again, special thanks to APT for the free sample and belief in a good product)).

Come on guys... Give kudos where kudos are due.

RP

Old 09-23-2003, 07:25 AM
APT
RP, it isn't the sheeting, beading, or even protection that I noticed go away after a week with Gold Class. It was the gloss, luster, and sharp reflections. The look just went from excellent to the average after one week. With other products I use, my vehicles look outstanding after every wash for months.

I give GC some credit. It was the only wax that made my black car look like Zaino'd mirror reflections - but only for a week. Sorry, I am not impressed. If anyone wants to try GC, I have a whole bottle of it on my shelf, minus one application. I find very little use for GC on a daily driver. Maybe a show car when one applies it right before the event.

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Moderator &

Okay APT... I believe you. It's just odd that it's such a popular product with such lack-luster longevity. *shrugs*

I've never tried it (and probably never will) but, I'll take your word for it.

I guess it would be good for some 'bling' if you were taking a vehicle to show.... and that's really about it.

Old 09-23-2003, 09:26 AM
Thanks everyone, that is exactly what I needed to know. The Mooney has a bunch of surface area and waxing it is an all weekend endeavor, so something that lasts is important. Better yet, I need to hire somebody, but pressure washers and old airplanes don't get along real well.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3054

Last edited by ~~~^~~~; 09-23-2003 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Moderator &

LMAO @ the Suburbavalanche!!!! ROFL!!!!!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=4454

Old 09-23-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by APT
If anyone wants to try GC, I have a whole bottle of it on my shelf, minus one application. I find very little use for GC on a daily driver. Maybe a show car when one applies it right before the event.
Is that an offer? if so, drop me an email - webmaster@fishermans-net.com & williebloomquist@marinersmvp.com (If you send to both, I'll be sure to get it.)

Last edited by bloomquist; 09-23-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
LMAO @ the Suburbavalanche!!!! ROFL!!!!!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=4454
Looking at the side view...it gives a whole new meaning to the term "5th wheel"

Old 09-23-2003, 12:56 PM
APT
Originally posted by ~~~^~~~
Thanks everyone, that is exactly what I needed to know. The Mooney has a bunch of surface area and waxing it is an all weekend endeavor, so something that lasts is important. Better yet, I need to hire somebody, but pressure washers and old airplanes don't get along real well.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3054
Klasse All in One and a Porter Cable is what I recomemnd for that amount of surface area. One application by PC should only take a couple hours and it will last for 6 months. Very nice plane and truck.

Bloomquist,

It isn't worth my time to box it up and wait in the post office line to ship. It is only a $10 product. If you were local, I'd givit to you, though.

Aaron

Quick Reply: Meguiars Gold