Zaino... whats the big fuss

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, speaking of RockPick and look who show's up with a picture of his truck. I SWEAR this was not set up...

Old 05-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport

I can put three coats of Zaino on in about 2 hours or so, that is using the ZFX, and doing it by hand, no buffer.

That is about how long it took me also. If you get the ZFX it makes the process a whole lot quicker. I wouldn't think that two to three hours is that much time out of a day that the average person couldn't do that once every six months. Then all you do is put the Z6 spray on every few washes, which takes 5 mins, and you are looking great. I think talk is cheap and you have to SEE Zaino to really appreciate it. I remeber when I first ordered it I thought there was no way it would be what people said, it was better than I thought after I put only a few coats on.

Old 05-24-2003, 09:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Hmm, I was speaking of radial scratches from washing, etc. I tend to call them swirl marks sometimes. Forgive me if you will I'm only home a few months a year, and car wash brushes can be unkind, even after being gone over with the high pressure rinse.

Rockpick, Why you picking on me? I'm on your side, remember??? I admire your elbow grease, and attention to detail. I was just sanding out imperfections with 2000 grit, and polishing them out by hand with (GASP) 3M products. That was my morning.,,,,98

Old 05-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by 98SCREAMER
I was just sanding out imperfections with 2000 grit, and polishing them out by hand with (GASP) 3M products. That was my morning.,,,,98
DAMN, now that is dedication to a flawless paint job

Old 05-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 98SCREAMER
Rockpick, Why you picking on me? I'm on your side, remember??? I admire your elbow grease, and attention to detail. I was just sanding out imperfections with 2000 grit, and polishing them out by hand with (GASP) 3M products. That was my morning.,,,,98
LOL!

I have a pack of 2000 grit and 1500 grit in my garage too. And, like you, I have a bottle or two that bears 3M.

I'll leave you alone now man. Just take that damn target off of your back and you'll be okay. LOL!

RP

Old 05-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Moderator &

Damn, speaking of RockPick and look who show's up with a picture of his truck. I SWEAR this was not set up...
It was a set up. And it wasn't cheap to set up either. Cost me a buck fitty.

RP

Old 05-24-2003, 10:40 PM
01 and Josh,

I understand where you are coming from, but SEEING is believing. Im not gonna buy it unless I can see it first. Pics are cool but seeing it first hand is even better.

I guess the whole multi step deal Im referring to is all of the procucts. I mean look at there website!

Z1 through 18... LOL

Im used to washings and some carnuba wax, and thats it for me. None of this clay bar then do this then do that... A good cleaner wax and or Dawn works for me every once in awhle too. And I dont have to spend all that extra cash on Zaino products.

Rockpick - Im with you brother. Elbow grease, attention to detail, and no Zaino

Old 05-24-2003, 10:49 PM
Moderator &

Jag,

Don't knock the clay bar man. It will amaze you and it's super simple. Feel your paint. Does it have a slight 'rough' feel to it.

Make it feel like glass... use clay. It's amazing.

RP

Old 05-24-2003, 10:59 PM
Hmmm..... u dont say? Clay bar is the fix huh?

Old 05-24-2003, 11:04 PM
Moderator &

Clay is nothing short of awesome man. LOL!!!!! I figured you'd understand that terminology.

Clay is the way!

RP

Old 05-24-2003, 11:04 PM
Jaguar:

I can understand what you’re saying by needing to see it to believe it. I think many others here or in other threads have said and I will say as well, there are some really good products out there. Some you may find better then Zaino especially if you’re not a wuss like me in not wanting to use a buffer.

I got to a point I didn’t like the shine I was getting with store bought brands, like Auto Zone, Wal-Mart etc. Also I could not find a detailer anywhere that could manage to do the job correctly. In other words my trucks or cars would look great when I picked them up but after the first or second wash I could see the wax that got on the plastic trim etc.

So I started asking questions, and visiting forums like this and some other detailer type forums. There were a lot of good reviews about the Zaino, as well as some other products but at the time what stood out about the Zaino was you did not have to use a buffer to get this “awesome shine” and then the fact that it lasted much, much longer then anything store bought.

So I went and bought some Zaino. I don’t remember all what I got the first time but it was around $50 -$60. I figured at least I would try it and I would be in control and insure nothing got on the plastic. That’s another thing I forgot to mention. In many of the reviews they mentioned that if you did get Zaino on plastic it did NOT stain so I though what the hell, sounds like something to try, if it works great, if not I am out the money but will never buy it again.

Is Zaino the absolute best on the market? For me it is, for how I use it, for the look I want. However, it may not be the best for you, or RockPick or others. It really comes down to each their own.

Old 05-24-2003, 11:17 PM
I have seen pictures of, I think it is BigDeal’s truck and it too looks awesome and I believe he uses Meguires.
Thanks for the compliments there 01! You're right, my truck gets the Meguiars Professional line of products. May try something else in the future, but for now, I'm pleased with the results I'm getting.

Jag.... You know, many of these posts are right and I'd agree wholeheartedly with them. Paint upkeep and protection should be viewed as a multi stage process regardless of the products used if you want the best shine/ depth possible. As an example, a typical detail on my truck using my Meguiars products would entail:
1 - A good wash with Gold Class Car Wash
2 - Clay bar and re-wash
3 - Medallion Paint Cleaner or # 9 Swirl Remover (rotary buffer applied)
4 - Two coats of #26 Carnuba Wax (rotary buffer applied)
5 - Finish up with Final Inspection wipe down

If I was headed to a car show, I'd add another step between 3 and 4 above to apply a coat of #7 Show Car Glaze to add additional depth.

I guess it's all in how dedicated (or compulsive) you are. Nothing makes me happier than to have someone come up to me at a car show and ask if my truck is brand new (it's an '01 with 25K miles that I drive daily). The look on their face when I answer their question makes the time spent totally worth it!

Take care.

-Mike-

Old 05-24-2003, 11:21 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by BigDeal
Thanks for the compliments there 01! You're right, my truck gets the Meguiars Professional line of products. May try something else in the future, but for now, I'm pleased with the results I'm getting.

Jag.... You know, many of these posts are right and I'd agree wholeheartedly with them. Paint upkeep and protection should be viewed as a multi stage process regardless of the products used if you want the best shine/ depth possible. As an example, a typical detail on my truck using my Meguiars products would entail:
1 - A good wash with Gold Class Car Wash
2 - Clay bar and re-wash
3 - Medallion Paint Cleaner or # 9 Swirl Remover (rotary buffer applied)
4 - Two coats of #26 Carnuba Wax (rotary buffer applied)
5 - Finish up with Final Inspection wipe down

If I was headed to a car show, I'd add another step between 3 and 4 above to apply a coat of #7 Show Car Glaze to add additional depth.

I guess it's all in how dedicated (or compulsive) you are. Nothing makes me happier than to have someone come up to me at a car show and ask if my truck is brand new (it's an '01 with 25K miles that I drive daily). The look on their face when I answer their question makes the time spent totally worth it!

Take care.

-Mike-
Sorry... had to quote the whole thing...

I agree with you on your steps there Mike less the Medallion Paint Cleaner. I don't think you're going to get as good of a result with that product verses the 2.0 (#9) Swirl Remover. I say this from experience. I just don't care that much for the paint cleaner. Seemed to smear alot and didn't really buff out nice. The #9, on the other hand, is an excellent product and nearly everyone here has used or uses it as a polish....

I'm the same way with the questions like that... "Is that new...". Nope, it's an 01 with 21K and is a daily driver. Like you, I love the stunned look. Makes it worth every last second that I've spent on it. Nothing makes you feel better.

RP

Old 05-25-2003, 02:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

That settles it. I'm renting a buffer, and buying some 3M Finesse. I have my own pads, just haven't taken the plunge to buy a buffer yet. I'll get a shine out of it, hehe.,,,,98

And a coat or two of Meguiars

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 05-25-2003 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
I agree with you on your steps there Mike less the Medallion Paint Cleaner. I don't think you're going to get as good of a result with that product verses the 2.0 (#9) Swirl Remover. I say this from experience. I just don't care that much for the paint cleaner. Seemed to smear alot and didn't really buff out nice.
RP
Sorry to hear that ROCK. It's funny that you mentioned the issue you had with the Paint Cleaner. I encountered this very same issue (smearing and a bit difficult to remove). But, when machine applied (i.e. vs. hand applied), and when I eased up on the amount used, the end result was terrific. I really like the stuff as prep for the rest of the process, but I think the key to getting good results with it is through the use of an orbital buffer.

I also use the #9 product, but just wanted to mention that I knew exactly what you were talking about with the Paint Cleaner.

Take care.

-Mike-

Last edited by BigDeal; 05-25-2003 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Zaino... whats the big fuss