What should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I look for?

Hi, I'm new to Fords. I come from a GM background where Fords are mostly laughed at, but I'm looking for a new "look" and the F-150 is incredibly appealing to me for some reason. I've narrowed my choices of a new truck to either an F-150 XLT or a Toyota Tundra.

What should I look for when searching for an F-150. I mean that as in, what liter engine, what year models have the most and least problems, etc.

I am looking toward a 2010 or 2011 but are they reliable? What 'newer' years have the least amount of maintenance issues?

I'm not looking for something to pull with, I've got two other rigs for that, I want something that has some 'get-go' when I'm driving and need to pass someone, something that won't fall apart if I happen to race in it or drop some power in it threw a programmer/chip. Is this the truck I want? Again I'm new to Fords and I'm trying to get the mindset that they are horrible out of my mind but that is what I grew up hearing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Anyone?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 AM
all of them are reliable. I would go for the 2011 just b/c of the 4 new engines that will be available (but that's b/c I have the 5.4). The 5.4 is a great motor its just that I'm excited about the new engines that I want one. I think the interior and the new features are far superior over Toyota and GM. I'm not sure if your serious or not but you may haven't received any answers b/c of your post and your post count, people probably think your b/s them.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't understand what I would be b/s'ing them about?

Anyway, I've asked on many sites and to be honest, most people are telling me a Tundra. But there's just something about the new F-150s that i like. Still undecided. I'm maybe thinking Chevrolet Colorado but I don't know. More suggestions would be helpful, maybe ones about your experiences with the F-150's such as problems you've had and things to watch out for.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 AM
To be honest these trucks have been pretty much solid. The 5.4 has proven itself. There is an issue with the 5.4 and the spark plugs getting stuck a couple of members have had. In 2011 there will be 4 new engines to choose from which I think many people hear are looking for. Other than the spark plug issue like I've said they have been solid. F-150 has the best interior in the game hands down and a sexy exterior. There are also about 10 different models to choose from. Sync is beautiful, towing is great what more can you ask for.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If you aren't going to be towing heavy, get a new 2011 with the 5.0 when it comes out. It's the same engine that's in the new Mustang but retuned for truck duty. If you are looking at 2010's or earlier, you will probably be disappointed with the 5.4, a Tundra with a 5.7 will blow its doors off unless it's heavily modded. The 5.0 should be competitive with the Toyota.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Two years ago I bought an 07, because of neccesity. I wish I could have waited for the new F150's. I would reccomend the new F150 with the 4 new engines. The are awesome! Toyota's frame is too soft, Chevrolet truck just all around stinks, and I just can't stand Dodges. Go to you tube and watch the tests that Ford uses to compare apples to apples.