Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 w/ Line-X installed, led box lights and switch leak....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 w/ Line-X installed, led box lights and switch leak....

Hi,

Bought a new 2016 in mid Dec, had Line-X installed, this is first time driving truck through snow/mud off highway roads as temp has been above freezing..... both box light gaskets
are leaking into box, and switch too. Is this par for the course with the gaskets now trying to seal over rough line-x surface? ...or was something not done correctly?..should they have put extra silicon sealant between linex and gaskets? Also. this truck does not have rear wheel well liners...would these cure this also?

Thx & rgds,

Andy

Old 01-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not getting this...do you have a tonneau cover installed on the truck? If so, what is the brand and model of the cover?

Old 01-21-2017, 11:34 AM
No, but I plan on putting one on soon....was just surprised that all three gaskets that surround the box lights and switch are passing road splash from snow and mud into box.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:21 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I don't recall seeing OEM rear wheel well liners?

If they removed the lights to spray the Line-X, then that is why they leak as Line-X is not smooth. I'd just add a thin bead of silicone either around or under the lips of the lights, etc. Not sure how bulbs are replaced, but I'd keep that in mind.

I haven't personally seen these OEM bed lights, just imagining what they'd likely be like. I have some LED sets I need to install in mine.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Ya that's what i figured, the rubber texture of the linex wont really seal against the original gasket/grommet. Ill try the silicon. On closer inspection the switch has a rubber surround but the lights have a platstic lense/cover that goes right to edge of light, there must be a rubber seal underneath. They may be sealed units, as far as servicability goes, will have to have a closer look. Ya Ford does make oem wheel well liners....but im not sure if they come down far enough to reduce road splash coming up between double wall of box behind rear wheel.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I am gonna have a look at these lights soon then.

Originally Posted by Bryan316
... etc ...
I posted pics of what those light fixtures look like, when I added my LED lights to the inside of my Leer cap. It'll show you how to reach under and pop the fixtures loose, and what the openings look like so you know what to expect:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...you-think.html

Thanks .... I can see I will not be using those lights as I won't cut those holes ... I'll use my LEDs .... but I caught the suggestion for two switches, one in bed and one in cab. That I will do.

Last edited by tbear853; 01-25-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say razor blade the LineX around the holes, to level off the top surface. Not to cut away the LineX, but just to smooth it flat.

Or, use a heat gun to soften the LineX, then push on the light fixtures.

Or, use black sealant/gasket/caulk to glue and seal the light fixtures in place.

I posted pics of what those light fixtures look like, when I added my LED lights to the inside of my Leer cap. It'll show you how to reach under and pop the fixtures loose, and what the openings look like so you know what to expect:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...you-think.html

Old 01-24-2017, 02:42 PM
Thx Bryan for the suggestions and your thread link...maybe shave it down like you say an some extre sealant. Now to find a Hobbit.