Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all with soft tonneau covers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
So what is wrong with silicone? Does it make it accelerate degradation or remove protective properties? What did they recommend using instead (their own product?)?
Yup !!
THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS WILL ALSO VOID THE WARRANTY:

Improper cleaning: Recommended to use the tested and approved Extang Tonno Tonic™ or clean with soap and water only. Do not use vinyl conditioners (i.e. Armor All®) because they will shrink the vinyl.
One should take a read through Extangs warranty disclaimer. They have pretty much included every possible cause, reason or scenario in order to deny a warranty claim.

https://www.extang.com/docs/maxcare.html

Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 AM
They didn't explain what silicone specifically does to the vynl but they did use that excuse for the pin holes. The fabric underneath the vynl is whats fraying. They said the protectant becomes absorbed into the material and weakens it. They didn't recomend any other products looks like any product that doesn't contain silicone in it will be safe to use.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Mlamprey is right they have every out you can think of in thier warrenty. And these covers clearly dont stay 100% intact being outside for 10 years which is what their warrenty range is. Kinda makes me want to get my free one even more now but they might find another out like improper warrenty registration.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ace85
Mlamprey is right they have every out you can think of in thier warrenty. And these covers clearly dont stay 100% intact being outside for 10 years which is what their warrenty range is. Kinda makes me want to get my free one even more now but they might find another out like improper warrenty registration.
Per Extangs warranty disclaimer
The warranty applies to the original consumer/purchaser and for the truck on which the tonno was originally installed and shall not apply if the product has been removed from the original vehicle.
You will need to prove to them that you are the original purchaser, if you received the cover as a gift, say from your parents for Christmas, you are screwed.
If you bought the cover from your buddy who had it on his truck 1st but didn't like it or decided to go a different route, you are screwed.
It would be interesting to know how they define "removed". My Fulltilt for example is designed for easy removal. Every roll up cover I have ever seen has to be "removed" for access to the full bed space.

Warranty registration must be on file and/or proof of original purchase (detailed and dated receipt) required for warranty to be effective. Warranty coverage starts from the date of purchase.
Did you fill out and mail in your registration card ? or do you still have your original receipt and is it "detailed" to their satisfaction ?
I think you can see what I am getting at here. Basicly, your most likely, screwed.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Its to bad you guys are having so many problems. My claim went exactly as I described it. No questions about care or use. I knew my registration was in because I did it on the phone when I recieved it. I needed a replacement for a part that was cracked when delivered. Maybe my problem was a known problem?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by kjbrowne
Its to bad you guys are having so many problems. My claim went exactly as I described it. No questions about care or use. I knew my registration was in because I did it on the phone when I recieved it. I needed a replacement for a part that was cracked when delivered. Maybe my problem was a known problem?
My guess is this is a very large reason why your claim went simple and without a hitch. You were putting in a claim to replace a part that was damaged/defective upon your receipt of a, (I am assuming here) brand new, never used, never installed cover. The OP and myself, if I were to attempt a claim, are/would be seeking a warranty claim on a cover that is several years old and has been used and exposed to the elements of nature.
To compare the two situations are like comparing an apple to a hotdog.

Last edited by mlamprey; 12-11-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 PM
No my claim was on a 5 year old cover that had stitching fail.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:32 AM
You said you needed to replace a part that was cracked when delivered.
Now I am confused.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:12 PM
No that was to show why I knew my registration was completed over the phone when I purchased it. I had to register it to get that first part replaced. The cover replacement happened 5 years later with no problems.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 PM
No that was to show why I knew my registration was completed over the phone when I purchased it. I had to register it to get that first part replaced. The cover replacement happened 5 years later with no problems.
Ok, Now I understand. Sounds like the warranty gods and the person on the phone were in a giving mood when you called Extang.
I haven't and won't attempt a warranty claim on my Fulltilt because I know it would be denied. I am the 2nd owner, the tonneau was on my 04 when I bought it, the tonneau is now on my 06, I have no original paperwork etc. etc.
Extang makes a nice tonneau cover, when I buy my new one it will most likely be another Extang.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Thumbs up

I just did this with my TRUXPORT cover. Stitching gave way and the velcro detached from the cover. One call to TRUXEDO and within about 5 min, they said they would be sending a new one and didn't even need the old one back. No picture required either! Great customer service. This is the second time I've called them as the first time was the velcro seperating from the frame pieces. They replaced those as well!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Going on 4 years this year on my Access Lorado and I use Meg's Hyper Dressing on it 3 times a year since I bought it and it still looks almost new. Mine get's used quite a bit because of the 5th wheel hitch in the bed during the summer and the only thing on it is getting beat up are the rails by the tail gate because the 5er hits the rails sometimes.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Extang Trifecta has a lifetime warranty on vinyl and frame....

Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by nate136
Extang Trifecta has a lifetime warranty on vinyl and frame....
Its 10 year for vinyl lifetime for the frame. And thats if you haven't voided any of their warrenty rules.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Sorry, was just going off of my warranty paper...

Quick Reply: Calling all with soft tonneau covers.