Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best DIY Roll on Bedliner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F150_Envy
I just thought I'd give a little tid bit of info I have about roll on liners. I've never installed one but I bought an 05 that has a DIY liner rolled in on it. The original owner said he did it when it was brand new so the surface was already clean. He wire wheeled the surface, cleaned and rolled it on, that was 5 years ago. Today its sun bleached almost gray/white. It still is stuck on there pretty good but is kind of thin in some places.
Why not just sand down the thin spots and touch it up?

If you really want a professional spray-in done, you can always scrape out the DIY yourself and save some $$

Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The process you are referring to is called ReNew. Patented ReNew won a SEMA award in 2008.

The reason there is no warranty is because it's the roll-on that's stuck to your truck, not the LINE-X. So, LINE-X can't guarantee it won't come off.

The ReNew process includes the use of LINE-X Xtra. So, it won't fade or lose it's gloss.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Anybody have pictures of the Duplicolor bed armor done? I'm thinking about doing mine next weekend. $100, its worth a shot. I'll post pics when im done.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I did my bumpers with it and think it came out great. I also put 4 coats on the fronts and backs of each bumper. I have a little more than half gallon left. I never did a bed with it but I don't see how a 1 gallon kit would be enough to do a 6.5ft bed and get a proper thickness. I would said that you would almost need two kits for a proper thickness. The surface is a little rough and to be honest with you I would look in to having your bed spray with line-x. For the extra money you would spend for the line-x I think it would be worth it.
If you decide to try duplicolor bed armor they are running a $25 rebate that ends at the end month.
http://www.bedarmor.com/rebate.php

Old 09-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Nice. Thanks for lettin me know on the rebate. I'm goin to advanced or autozone this week. Going to pick up an extra gallon and a few scotch brite pads. It'll be done right the first time.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by FordMX293
Nice. Thanks for lettin me know on the rebate. I'm goin to advanced or autozone this week. Going to pick up an extra gallon and a few scotch brite pads. It'll be done right the first time.
you're welcome, also be sure to really stir up the cans. I got a paint mixer that you put in a drill and used that. Be sure to wipe the bed with some prep spray or what I used some denature alcohol. You may need a second gallon or you may not, really won't know until you start putting on. Definitely can't hurt to put on a few more coats. Advance auto parts as the kit on sale on there website for $79.99.

Last edited by toadytodd; 09-12-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by toadytodd
you're welcome, also be sure to really stir up the cans. I got a paint mixer that you put in a drill and used that. Be sure to wipe the bed with some prep spray or what I used some denature alcohol. You may need a second gallon or you may not, really won't know until you start putting on. Definitely can't hurt to put on a few more coats. Advance auto parts as the kit on sale on there website for $79.99.
I've got a fairly good drill mixer I can use. Going to order the kit today sometime. Thinking im going to lay it on thick first time and maybe do another light coat a few days later..

Old 09-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by toadytodd
The Bed Armor was what I went with. I was in the same situation as most people in here. Didn't want to spend the money for a spray in and just wanted my bed basically sealed and get the drop in out. I went with the Bed Armor because it's water based and cleans up really easy. Mine came out great and I couldn't be happier. I bought enough to do 3 coats. Definitly make sure you stir it up good. Also make sure you plug the seam between the forward bulkhead of the box and the floor of the box, otherwise you'll line your garage floor like I did. Don't skimp on the prep!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Dual Liner Service.

Originally Posted by Micheal
I would hope you get the same service even if they were not part of this forum.
We always take great care of our customers no matter where they here about us. In an effort to track how people heard about us, we are giving a few free items for letting us know. I want to assure you that customer service is something that we take pride in. Test it out yourself, we promise that we will do everything in our power to make you a happy customer. Our warranty is the best in the business and I can tell you our customer service is second to none. Sorry, I will be more careful in future post not to leave anybody out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 AM
People try to save a buck rolling on their own bedliner.

I wouldn't understand this on a new truck since for a few bucks more you can have one done professionally.

I'm glad I took mine to Truckgasm place in Ft. Worth. It really looks good.

Pictures to come shortly

Old 09-25-2010, 09:45 AM
What is the weight of a spray in per sq foot? I have the short bed on my Supercrew and wondering how much it would weigh?

Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 PM
I was thinking abought doing a DIY kit on my tool box, the bed liner is line-x

i'm test painting a spot on the underside right now, i tried some diff. prep methods since it's polished alum. i'm seeing what is going to stick the best.

it's drying now, will check later
some primed over the alum some roughed up then primed then painted primed area also paint no prime and no prime but roughed up

i'm painting with dupicolor to match the painted bumpers and trim

if paint does not stick, then i'm going to do DIY roll on to the tool box

Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by FF301
I was thinking abought doing a DIY kit on my tool box, the bed liner is line-x

i'm test painting a spot on the underside right now, i tried some diff. prep methods since it's polished alum. i'm seeing what is going to stick the best.

it's drying now, will check later
some primed over the alum some roughed up then primed then painted primed area also paint no prime and no prime but roughed up

i'm painting with dupicolor to match the painted bumpers and trim

if paint does not stick, then i'm going to do DIY roll on to the tool box
I'm interested in how it turns out on your toolbox, I would like to do mine also. Let us know how it turns out!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Steps

The steps on my truck are looking bad some rust is starting to show. Has anyone tryed bedliner spray on theres?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 PM
https://www.durabakstore.com/

I've used this on my last truck and on my current truck. I did a bunch of research when I did it on the first truck (about 6yrs ago) and a bunch of people said durabak is who makes herculiner, the only difference is you can get the durabak in a UV stable formula. I don't know if thats really true or not I'm just telling what other people said.

My experience:
I think it holds up well for the price. It definitely isn't LineX but if you don't throw busted up concrete from 20ft away into your bed or haul stuff that would even give LineX a run for its money then it works fine. They say a gallon will cover your truck bed but both times I ordered two extra quarts and applied those too. Also, they say to use a scotchbrite pad for prep.....do yourself a favor and use at least 80 grit. I learned that one the hard way on the first truck when I experimented on the tailgate before doing the whole bed. Last but not least on first truck I put durabak on I used the black which held up great, however, on my current truck I used the gray because the truck is gray. I regret that decision because it stains and gets marked up from the stuff I have hauled in the bed.

Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Best DIY Roll on Bedliner?