Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with G4-Elite fold-a-cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that the Fold-A-Cover is installed -- how's the weather resistance? We get some pretty fierce downpours down here in southern FL -- Last thing I'd need it to do wet the bed LOL

Old 01-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I had the fold a cover on my 2004 F-150 and after about 4 years the rubber covers over the piano hinges cracked to expose the hinge, other that that, it was a great cover. I'm looking to put another cover on my 2010 F-150 but would also like to know if you have to drill holes in the side rails? It thought a saw a video online attaching it with clamps...but the online installation guide still shows drilling holes. Will I have to notch out the bedliner to install the locks again?

Old 01-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Hello TG , hello everyone, I do recall having to drill small holes on top of the bed for the rails.
Size is 5/32 for a total of four, two for each side.

Install guide:

https://www.foldacover.com/FitYourTr...7/Default.aspx

As for the cover, I think it is a great cover and highly recommend. I enjoy its simplicity over a fiber glass cover. I like being able to stack/fold the cover when I need to. And yes it does have two locks to secure your stuff!!!!!

Last edited by PZX_2002; 01-16-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 PM
pzx 2002....can you give an update to the g4 elite after over a year with it? How has the seals and hinges held up? Does any water get in with this cover? Do you see any wear or cracking happening with the seals and hinges....I am interested in the G4 elite, extang solid fold or just getting a roll up cover.....too many covers to choose from.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:42 PM
I've had the Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite for over a year now and it's been a great investment. No issues with any of the hardware, seals, hinges, anything. Quite weather resistant as well - even the strongest rainstorms and only a few drops will get in. More water usually gets in from opening the cover. It's been all good for me and has been more versatile than the hard tonneau cover on my last truck.

I'll be looking to add a mod to my truck (once the weather warms up here and it stops snowing!) so that I have better lighting in the bed area. The only other wish I would have for this cover would be for power locks (nitpicking here). All in all, very happy.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:09 PM
rok
how easy is it to remove? Say if you wanna use the whole bed since it takes away some of your bed when fully folded?

Old 03-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, you could take apart the hinge swivel (big silver thing below) and remove the cover, but you would need to leave the rails on the truck. Not super easy, but do-able.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 PM
cover removal

I stumbled upon this thread while looking around for parts for my old fold-a-cover and felt obligated to share my removal experience. I've got "LS" Fold-a-cover on a 2001, so it's been around. I love this thing, honestly do.

As for removal, it's very easy. Yes, there are plenty of times when 3/4 bed access is not nearly enough on a 6.5' bed. BUT, all you have to do is remove (4) allen screws, (2) on each hinge, and the whole cover lifts off. The brackets stay in place. I always carry the allen key in the truck, just in case, and I've used it many times. Then the cover can ride along side your cargo till you can put back on. It's just as easy to replace, set it on the hinges and screw in your 4 allen screws. The only tricky part is that you put them in from the bottom up, so there is some practice to get the feel for it. I've circled the allen screws on the picture that TruckGasm posted, hope you don't mind. Like I said, the screws go in the bottom, so you are seeing only the threads in this picture.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by bna1jem
pzx 2002....can you give an update to the g4 elite after over a year with it? How has the seals and hinges held up? Does any water get in with this cover? Do you see any wear or cracking happening with the seals and hinges....I am interested in the G4 elite, extang solid fold or just getting a roll up cover.....too many covers to choose from.
Like I said in the last post, I have a "LS" Fold-A-Cover from 2001, still in action today and functioning very well. I've had 3 problems with this cover. 1) Twisted the key off in the lock when frozen. 2) After about 5-7 years, the UV starts to get to the "water resistant" hinge seals and they completely deteriorate. 3) the tail gate catch gets brittle after about 9 years.

The company sells all the replacement parts you'll need. I replaced my locks with the upgraded rotary set, MUCH nicer than the old style and you don't need a key to operate it, if it's unlocked. I'm placing an order tonight to replace all my seals (actually 6 out of 9), it's going to cost me $110. The hard part will be installing them, but I'll have a like-new cover when I'm done! With some minor hail damage from '08... Otherwise this cover still works and looks great!!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Former Sponsor
We wanted to reply to this thread to be sure that everyone knows that we have updated all of our installation processes and there is now no more drilling for the side rails on all current model year applications for our G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover.

Here is a link to our updated installation guide featuring our clamp-on rail system for an F-150 SuperCrew with a 5’6” Box. Updated Installation Guide.

We have also recently put out an installation video highlighting the main steps for the installation of our G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YStKzO2P-4
And as a response to those of you discussing how to best remove the cover if needed, we recommend using a 7/16" wrench to remove the two bolts on the underside of the C-clamp.

Help with G4-Elite fold-a-cover-fseia.jpg

This is the quickest and easiest way to remove both the LS Series and G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover. It also makes reinstalling the cover easy, as you do not need to make any additional adjustments. Simply bolt it back on and you are ready to go. We recently released a video on how to remove our cover as well.

Please PM me or E-Mail me if anyone has any other questions!

Quick Reply: Help with G4-Elite fold-a-cover