Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Al's Liner vs Herculiner? Need new bed cover too

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are products that contain phosphoric acid that convert rust (iron oxide) to a water-soluble iron phosphate that will either wash off or be permanently converted to a non-corroding iron phosphate. A more well known product is Navel Jelly, available at Home Depot/Lowes.

I don't "play", so I don't pay. The reason I don't pay-to-play is because I can't ship a LINE-X bedliner like MagnetoLiner.

EDIT: I mean Monstaliner.......

Last edited by TruckGasm; 10-02-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
I don't "play", so I don't pay. The reason I don't pay-to-play is because I can't ship a LINE-X bedliner like MagnetoLiner.

EDIT: I mean Monstaliner.......

Liar liar pants on fire! I started browsing the bedliner forum today because I have an interest in getting one soon. All I found thread after thread was biased opinions, at least some have the decency to pay and admit they are backing a certain product. I will be going elsewhere looking for unbiased reviews and real world opinions. LineX is OFF the list, your welcome TruckGasm.

Edit: I mean LineXGasm.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:48 PM
C'mon that's not the spirit! This is the "Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids" section of the site. I think it's great to debate and discuss, don't you?

We have people representing LINE-X, Rhino, Monsta, Qwikliner, Dualiner, Speedliner, Al's Liner, and probably a lot more! I'm GLAD these folks are here, biased or not.

Personally, I think it's great. Thank you F150online!

I'm trying to get some debate/discussion going on the DIY thread.

Last edited by TruckGasm; 10-02-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 AM
I just took some new pics of my Herculiner covered bed and posted them in my album, "Timberdoodles '02 King Ranch SuperCab" if anyone cares to look. It has held up VERY WELL for being installed shortly after I bought the truck i Nov. '03. I did use two, (2) gallons of Herculiner, and followed it up with the UV Protectant. The best part is, that both times I bought the Herculiner "Kit", it was on sale, and it had a mail in rebate, so my total investment is $110.00, (plus tax). I do use my truck and bed, but I did take my time prepping and applying the liner. Just one example of what a Herculiner done right, looks like after almost 6 years!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Timberdoodles
I just took some new pics of my Herculiner covered bed and posted them in my album, "Timberdoodles '02 King Ranch SuperCab" if anyone cares to look. It has held up VERY WELL for being installed shortly after I bought the truck i Nov. '03. I did use two, (2) gallons of Herculiner, and followed it up with the UV Protectant. The best part is, that both times I bought the Herculiner "Kit", it was on sale, and it had a mail in rebate, so my total investment is $110.00, (plus tax). I do use my truck and bed, but I did take my time prepping and applying the liner. Just one example of what a Herculiner done right, looks like after almost 6 years!
AMEN! I'm glad you posted this and as you said, it's all about the prep.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Two gallons of DIY bedliner gives you a slip resistant surface, but not a very thick bedliner. Two gallons will end up being about than 30 mil. (Some DIY products are 28% solvents that evaporate away, so you don't really get two gallons of bedliner product.) Most professional brands install about 125 mil. (8 gallons), solvent free. Just for reference, 40 mil is about the thickess of a dime, 125 mil is 1/8". You could go to a professional bedliner dealer and ask for a 2 gallon bedliner for $200, they might do it!

EDIT: Edited for more appropriate content, thanks.

Last edited by TruckGasm; 10-04-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
OMFG dude give it a rest. Yes we know your stuff is the best and Line-X is the best and all the other stuff is the best and Herculiner is crap and won't last and and and and and and and and....

Give it a rest, you have made your point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 05:20 PM
As I have been trying to say for years now, Herculiner is an alternative to the "Expensive" bedliners, (LineX & Rhino-Liner). It has held up very well for me. I am on Disability and only dream about being able to afford to have a Linex liner in my truck! For those of you that can afford them, I say "Go for it"! For those who can't, this is something that does work and is an affordable way to protect your bed. I'm really getting tired of everyone saying that they are crap, because they are not. For me, Linex is crap, 'cause I can't afford it. I think mine looks as good as any out there, and it is obvious that it has held up as well also.

Enough said.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by TJ05FX4
Average price to do the spray in type bedliners around here is 500-700 depending on options and colors and such.
Actually I just got a quote for Line-X at $499 for my 8' bed. That means that a 6.5' and 5.5' would be even cheaper. Im not sure where you got your info from.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by KB3GZW
Actually I just got a quote for Line-X at $499 for my 8' bed. That means that a 6.5' and 5.5' would be even cheaper. Im not sure where you got your info from.
I would guess from somewhere near Austin, Texas, since that's where he's located. Prices can and will vary from region to region, so congrats on your price in PA, but chances are the price is going to be different (either higher or lower) elsewhere.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Alternate Product

Originally Posted by Timberdoodles
As I have been trying to say for years now, Herculiner is an alternative to the "Expensive" bedliners, (LineX & Rhino-Liner). It has held up very well for me. I am on Disability and only dream about being able to afford to have a Linex liner in my truck! For those of you that can afford them, I say "Go for it"! For those who can't, this is something that does work and is an affordable way to protect your bed. I'm really getting tired of everyone saying that they are crap, because they are not. For me, Linex is crap, 'cause I can't afford it. I think mine looks as good as any out there, and it is obvious that it has held up as well also.

Enough said.
BINGO! An alternative low cost product that can be called comparable in many ways! That's all were trying to provide here.

Thanks Timberdoodles!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Let's do a little math. I found cooper-cars that has Al's for $150 for a one gallon kit in black, additional gallons are $95. I don't know if that's the typical price, but let's go with it.

Professional bedliners apply about 8 gallons in a short bed truck, that's 4 gallons of isocyanate and 4 gallons of resin (solvent free). Typical price is about $450.

OK, so what would it cost to buy enough Al's to be equivalent to a professional bedliner as far as thickness is concerned? Well, initially, that would be 8 gallons. But, Al's is about 15% solvents and 85% solids, so you would have to buy another gallon (actually, it's a bit more than one gallon, but let's stick to just one more gallon). So, you would need to buy 9 gallons of Al's. 1 x $150 + 8 x $95 = $910.

I'm not sure where the "low cost" part is coming in here. Sounds like Al's costs twice as much and you do all the work. You could go with a thinner bedliner, say 2 gallons of Al's for $245 or for the same price of $245, you could go with about 4.5 gallons of a professional bedliner if you could talk the dealer into it!

Also, with Al's, there is no warranty. You will also need paper, tape, acetone, gloves, time, etc.

Last edited by TruckGasm; 10-09-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Former Sponsor
You are beatin a dead horse here. No one crunches the numbers like that. Everyone looks at the price and understands that the film thickness is not the same. You could never apply as much material in a diy or a low pressure spray application as you can with a plural component, polyurea high pressure spray. There is no comparing the 2 different jobs even considering final coating thickness.

I posted some new photos of Monstaliner, Herculiner and Rustoleum test panels. It's a decent side by side view of what crumb rubber looks like next to the Monstaliner no rubber texture
http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_comparisons.htm

Last edited by magnetman; 10-10-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 AM
TruckGasm, thanks for the lesson but unfortunately your information is very incorrect.

Cooper cars sells the one gallon kits for $95 and any additional. The $150 kit is with the Al's Liner spray gun that is completely reusable and is not needed as you can shoot it with a Shutz gun or a drywall texturing gun or any equivalent. Also being that Al's is a kit for the "Do It Yourselfer" most of use have tape, gloves, newspaper, a few sheets of sandpaper, etc sitting around.

As for time, well that is what the do it yourself thing is about. Allot of the car guys I sell to are restoring a car and want to do it on their own, in their own garage and don't want to waste the time, work, and expense of taking the chassis off a rotisserie to have a tow truck or flat deck come and take it somewhere to have it done with a chance of damaging body work or other work done to the project. Allot of these guys are also **** and don't want someone else doing it and like the fact that they can do it themselves and know it was done right, the way they wanted without having the issue of standing over an installers shoulder nagging at them to make sure they spray this or don't scratch that.

Now the costing that you referred to is incorrect as well as it only takes 2 Al's Liner kits to do an 8' box in the thickness that you are talking about which is not really necessary as most professional liners are prooven to be more effective at 60-70 mils and in a drag test they start losing their strength and effectiveness when they are any thicker.

Oh yeah I almost forgot your last comment as Al's Liner is guaranteed as long as proper prep was done as per the guidelines and I also completely warranty it if we've applied it.

I know that me telling you this, being that you are a Linex dealer, is like blowing a fart in the wind as you argue everything that someone says here and you always have a comeback or answer for it. Everyone has their own opinions on what works for them, their experiences, what they require for their project, and that is great but Linex as good as it is in many ways is not for everyone and sometimes it gets a little pushy and seems desperate with the continuous biased opinions of your product and your bantering on everyone else's.

I am not trying to be biased as I sell and apply many different coatings with our company and I only came on here to give an honest opinion to someones question.

I can sell you Herculiner, Speedliner, DURABAK,or Magnaliner if you want it and I even make money on Armathane if you want that too but we've sold and used them all and my opinion is that Al's Liner is the best bang for the buck and the quality so far as exceeded most of the above listed.

I will leave it at that as I know anything that I or most people on here say doesn't mean anything to you as it's not "Linex" but at least some of our posts will help the right people who are interested or curious make a decision on what product is right for them. Some people love Linex and great, keep using it, some people don't and at least they have options.

Sorry everyone for the long rant!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Thank you for the response and no problem with the rant. There's nothing wrong with discussing the matter.

I'm still correct on the pricing/thickness though. Al's costs twice as much per mil as a professional bedliner and I doubt Al's is twice as better.

You stated:
...most professional liners are prooven to be more effective at 60-70 mils and in a drag test they start losing their strength and effectiveness when they are any thicker.

I respectfully disagree with that statement. They don't lose strength or effectiveness when they are thicker unless your talking about 3 or 4 inches which of course your not going to find in a bedliner. 62.5 mils is 1/16". 60 to 70 mils is very thin, you get a slip resistant surface but you don't get what most people would consider a "bedliner" which would also give you impact protection. Impact protection means being able to absorb the force of an impact as well as resisting gouging from a sharp object (like a shovel).

Last edited by TruckGasm; 10-12-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Al's Liner vs Herculiner? Need new bed cover too