Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll on bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll on bedliner

I am thinking of putting Plasticoat roll on bedliner on my truck. Wal Mart has one gallon can for $42. Also thinking of painting floors in the cab.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 AM
duplicolor has a bedliner kit for 60.... i used there beliner spray for my toolbox! came out very nice. ill be doing my bed with their product too! it rocommends at least 3 coats im gonna do 6 so it will be about 80-100 dollars worth of stuff! better than 500+ for linex or rhino!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While you're at Wallymart, you could pick up a few cans of Krylon spray paint and paint your entire truck, better than a $3,000 paint job.

Last edited by TruckGasm; 01-21-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
While you're at Wallymart, you could pick up a few cans of Krylon spray paint and paint your entire truck, better than a $3,000 paint job.

Lol. Agreed....

Old 01-21-2008, 06:58 PM
I really don't think that putting a roll on bedliner is the right way to go. I mean you spent enough money on your truck so why would you get the cheapest thing out there to protect it? If I were you I would definatly go with a spray in application for numberous reasons. First a spray on application gave me a life time warranty on my bedliner. I doubt that something from a can gives you that. Secondly when you get it sprayed on it is a much stronger material which won't allow debree to pierce your bedliner leaving holes for moisture to rust your bed away without you knowing it. From personal experience I would definately go for the line-X or something of that nature vs. a do it at home application.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by golfashby
Secondly when you get it sprayed on it is a much stronger material which won't allow debree to pierce your bedliner leaving holes for moisture to rust your bed away without you knowing it. From personal experience I would definately go for the line-X or something of that nature vs. a do it at home application.
Actually, a drop in liner is much stronger than a spray - spray offers little to no dent protection. Moisture is not the problem with drop ins - the fact that they vibrate and sand the paint off is the real issue. Then the moisture can cause rust.

Most of the damage occurs from load shifts while moving... stuff sliding around the bed. Neither sprays nor drops offer much protection there.

What works for you is really about how you use your truck. Some people are only worried about good looks, some people want their stuff to stay where they put it, some people want slide... how do you use your truck.

Under no circumstance would I recommend a roll in/do it yourself type of application - they just are not very strong.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Well, there are more than 2 million LINE-X bedliners out there, add another 2 million for Rhino, and perhaps another 2 million spray-ons for all the other brands. I suppose it's safe to say that spray-ons work for some people.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, there are more than 2 million LINE-X bedliners out there, add another 2 million for Rhino, and perhaps another 2 million spray-ons for all the other brands. I suppose it's safe to say that spray-ons work for some people.
So did the model T, but over time people found better products. It is really relative to how people use their truck... I bet there are 2 million people that have used Herculiner and most of them may be happy. Many spray guys are very happy, many others are not.

I would actually bet your numbers are low - roughly 10 years of spray ons. Roughly 3 million new trucks per year are built. Your numbers show a 5% market penetration - I think that is very low. 10 years ago, about 70% of trucks left the dealerships with a drop in bedliner. Today about 20%.

Just a thought

Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Bryndon
Actually, a drop in liner is much stronger than a spray - spray offers little to no dent protection. Moisture is not the problem with drop ins - the fact that they vibrate and sand the paint off is the real issue. Then the moisture can cause rust.

Most of the damage occurs from load shifts while moving... stuff sliding around the bed. Neither sprays nor drops offer much protection there.

What works for you is really about how you use your truck. Some people are only worried about good looks, some people want their stuff to stay where they put it, some people want slide... how do you use your truck.

Under no circumstance would I recommend a roll in/do it yourself type of application - they just are not very strong.
ok i love how all these guys on here are gonna recommend the most expensive things on the market! and yes i did have enough money to buy my truck... but i had to take a loan out to do it! and i very happy with how strong my duplicolor spray on is doing on my toolbox! i can drop justs about anything on it and it doesnt scratch or chip.

but like you said

"Some people are only worried about good looks, some people want their stuff to stay where they put it, some people want slide"

and some people have to have the most expensive things... i dont have that luxury!

and then the smart comment on "why you are at wallymart buy some krylon paint and paint the whole truck.. better than a 3000 dollar paint job." id love to knock someone right between the eyes for comments like that, im really tired of small minded people!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 PM
OK, I think you missed the point. I made that comment in response to the following comment to point out its ridiculous nature.

it rocommends at least 3 coats im gonna do 6 so it will be about 80-100 dollars worth of stuff! better than 500+ for linex or rhino!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:56 PM
OK, I think you missed the point. I made that comment in response to the following comment to point out its ridiculous nature.

it rocommends at least 3 coats im gonna do 6 so it will be about 80-100 dollars worth of stuff! better than 500+ for linex or rhino!
yes i got the point you are being small minded. ... i made that statement and its not ridiculous! and if so how is it... the amount of time i use my bed i can get away with a roll on bed liner.. i dont need the protection of a 500 dollar spray in beliner! i love Line-x product but i cant afford that. i said nothing about paint you cannot compare apples to oranges i would not even think about painting the truck... unless i had a spray booth good paint guns... which i have done! if people like you would take things for what they are you wouldnt come off sounding like a moron!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:14 PM
4.2 thank you for your comments, have a nice day.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Thats it I am going to linex my drop in bed liner!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
yes i got the point you are being small minded. ... i made that statement and its not ridiculous! and if so how is it... the amount of time i use my bed i can get away with a roll on bed liner.. i dont need the protection of a 500 dollar spray in beliner! i love Line-x product but i cant afford that. i said nothing about paint you cannot compare apples to oranges i would not even think about painting the truck... unless i had a spray booth good paint guns... which i have done! if people like you would take things for what they are you wouldnt come off sounding like a moron!
Not to get involved in your thread here, but if you love and understand the solid protection a Line-X or other spray in liner, why not save a little money here and there and get it rather than spending $X amount on a liner you are going to not like and prob have to either redo later or pay extra to have a spray dealer remove it for you?

Call me crazy but if you want something and need it, make the sacrifices it takes to save and get what you know is the right thing.

We learn from our mistakes, a great number of people to. I was in a similar situation as you. I actually won a spray in liner at an acution. It was not a line-x...but rather a knock off, I paid 200 bucks for it. It lasted a whole year. I got quotes of 100 per hour to remove it so I did it myself and took it out, took me 2-3 hours or so. Saved 300 bucks right there.

I got a line-x sprayed in. So now my linex liner cost me well over 800 total in cash not to mention me taking not 1 day but 2 days off of work to take care of MY MISTAKE for not getting it done right the first time.

Why do you care? Don't waste your money, save it for what you want it for.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:36 PM
well i know exactly where you are coming from RollingRock but like i said my truck bed doesnt get much use so this time the roll in will suit my needs if i was gonna be beating it up id deffinitely go with line-x. and you said you paid 800 for your bed... thats a bigger bed than mine and all the local line-x dealers are wanting 800-1000 to do my bed. but im not 100% sure im doing it i might end up getting it line-xed anyway.

the thread was never meant to be a beat down on roll on bedliners the guy said that he was gonna do a rollon beliner and possibly do the floors in his truck... he never asked what did everybody thought of it, thats why i told him to use duplicolors bedliner, im not gonna go tell him what to do he just stated that so i figured why argue with him about it ill just tell him what i know from roll ons.

and another thing that gets at me is that i come in this thread and recommend what he should use if he goes that route.. and i have some guy come in here and attack me! ive done nothing but help people on this site and to have someone attack me for giving product advice... the point is is that he never asked about line-x or rhino so why would i give him info on those?

if TRUCKGASM would have came in here and been respectful about it like you then there would have been no problems but he wanted to be alittle *****!

but thanks for the respect and im done with this thread!

Quick Reply: Roll on bedliner