Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck caps that fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck caps that fit?

I have an '01 F150 long bed with an extended cab. I know the regular cab long bed caps will not fit. Any ideas on what will fit? If I try to put on a pre-97 cap, will if fit? Almost fit? Look rediculous? Someone suggested older GM caps. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Joe

Old 09-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Any cap for a 97-04 heritage F-150 longbed should fit. The shape of the rear window/cab is the same for the reg cab and the ext cab. I have a 97 ex cab and an 8' bed with a Leer top and it fit great, the front of the cap follows the contour of the bed around the back of the cab. I have the Leer 100 painted to match. Here is the site. http://leer.com/fordmodel4.html
And a pre 97 cap does not look good at all on a 97+ truck, the top of the cap will stick out past the sides of the cab, and the cap is an inch or 2 shorter for the pre 97 I think.

Last edited by LastSplash; 09-25-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Actually the regular cab and extended cab are 2 different tops. The back of the cab is different on the 2 and they aren't interchangeable. And for anything to look even decent on the truck you need to get one that fits only the 8' X-cab. From your line of questioning you are looking for a used top and not a new one, if you are interested ARE makes a V-series cap that you should be able to buy for $895 at any ARE dealer at least that is what I sell them for.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pressq
...I know the regular cab long bed caps will not fit....
I'm in the same situation as the same is true for short beds.

An extended cab (supercab) cap will fit on a regular cab but, there is a large gap at the top where the third brakelight is located and it looks kinda goofy.

If you put a cap made for a regular cab on an extended cab, it will rub at the top of the cab.

The 'rake' of the back of the cab is greater on the regular cab than on the extended on both the shortbed and longbed.

I have been looking for a shortbed, regular cab, cap within a reasonable distance for quite awhile now.
Glad I don't need it for another three years.

p.s.
I haven't been looking for Longbeds like you however,
my technique is autotrader, and search only those years in which Ford made my color.
I turned up a couple of trucks that had caps the right size/color on used car lots.
A used dealer may be willing to seperate truck from cap.

Last edited by Raoul; 09-26-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
See, here is the size you want in the color I want.
I think you have it tougher than me, a longbed extended cab is much more rare than a shortbed regular cab.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by LastSplash
Any cap for a 97-04 heritage F-150 longbed should fit. The shape of the rear window/cab is the same for the reg cab and the ext cab. I have a 97 ex cab and an 8' bed with a Leer top and it fit great, the front of the cap follows the contour of the bed around the back of the cab. I have the Leer 100 painted to match. Here is the site. http://leer.com/fordmodel4.html
And a pre 97 cap does not look good at all on a 97+ truck, the top of the cap will stick out past the sides of the cab, and the cap is an inch or 2 shorter for the pre 97 I think.
I have the model 122 it is Toreador Red cost 1200 will sell for 600 like new took it off my 99 F 150 short bed live in Mo e-mail me.

Quick Reply: Truck caps that fit?