Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line-X vs Rhino Lining vs Gator Lining

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Line-X vs Rhino Lining vs Gator Lining

I bought my truck this past weekend and I want to get a bedliner sprayed in. There's a few shops in town, and one out of town. The local shops have Rhino lining and Gator lining. Both shops said the job would cost about $400 out the door (the Gator lining shop advertises a "hot spray" process). I have no idea what the difference is.

Then there's the Line X shop about 60 miles away. Their quote was about $100 more than either of the local shops. My question is... Is the Line X worth the extra $100, the gas, the day of work I'll have to miss by going out of town? I don't mind spending the extra bill if it's worth it, but I'd hate to go through all that hassle for the same quality product.

Just some extra info - I plan to keep the truck about 6 years, and I don't plan on really abusing the bed, I just want the lining in there for when those "we need a truck" moments spring up.

Thanks in advance - John

Old 07-26-2007, 09:26 AM
The Line-X is a far superior product to the Rhino Liner. Everyone I know with a Rhino Liner around here has had it fade and chunks come out of it. I am very happy with my Line-X.

I do not know anything about the Gator Liner that you mentioned so I can't comment on that.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:37 AM
That's actually a loaded question - Line-X or Line-X Xtra? Which one of the three types of Rhino?

I've seen Gator out at the SEMA show, seemed a lot like the original Rhino mix if I recall correctly - very flexible and softer than a Line-X - again, if I recall correctly.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:29 AM
smv
My son's truck has a Rhino that was in it when we bought it. It is a black Ford

Originally Posted by JohnG6
I bought my truck this past weekend and I want to get a bedliner sprayed in. There's a few shops in town, and one out of town. The local shops have Rhino lining and Gator lining. Both shops said the job would cost about $400 out the door (the Gator lining shop advertises a "hot spray" process). I have no idea what the difference is.

Then there's the Line X shop about 60 miles away. Their quote was about $100 more than either of the local shops. My question is... Is the Line X worth the extra $100, the gas, the day of work I'll have to miss by going out of town? I don't mind spending the extra bill if it's worth it, but I'd hate to go through all that hassle for the same quality product.

Just some extra info - I plan to keep the truck about 6 years, and I don't plan on really abusing the bed, I just want the lining in there for when those "we need a truck" moments spring up.

Thanks in advance - John
Ranger. I don't know exactly how old the liner is but it has faded and has some areas that would need attention If I really cared. I bought the truck to get my two kids through their first years of driving, it's a 1996. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as a Line-X but it looks way better than my neighbors Toff spray in liner. Get the Line-X, you'll be very happy.

Steve

Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 AM
I got the Line X Xtra color match, I love it.. Extremely tough, looks great. At my dealer the basic LineX was about $450, the Xtra color-match was another $150..

Old 07-27-2007, 02:57 AM
Okay, I'm convinced. I'll call the Line X dealer tomorrow and make an appointment. I don't need the color matching though - my truck is silver and I think the regular black would go good with it. After the bedliner is done, the next step will be getting some nerf bars put on and have the windows tinted...

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
smv mentioned Toff. We stripped out a Toff bedliner this week. Toff is a 100% polyurethane similiar to Rhino's Tuff Grip. Toff operates mostly in Texas but is also in a few other states. I'll show you these pics, but a video would have been much better. I had my employee take a piece of Toff and tear it. You can tear it easily. The pics do not show getting the tear started but I think you'll get the idea. You absolutely cannot tear LINE-X this easily, we tried.

Name:  ToffTear1.jpg
Views: 4024
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  ToffTear2.jpg
Views: 3057
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  ToffTear3.jpg
Views: 2461
Size:  62.1 KB

Last edited by TruckGasm; 07-27-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Not what I would call an adequate prep job.

Name:  ToffStrip2.jpg
Views: 3154
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  ToffStrip1.jpg
Views: 2163
Size:  139.6 KB

Old 07-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Damn, that's where prep and application skill really make a difference! Looks really thin, what is it, about 1/16"?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my 97 got a line-x. my only problem area is after the rear tires on the rocker panel up to bumper, it was probably thinly sprayed on but i think the rocks chewed it up enough it tore small patches out. but they guy said if i were to get off my azz and bring it in he'd fix it...

as for the bed, i have 300lbs steel plates sliding around at one point in time. they did ding the tailgate and put one gouge in the floor of the line-x but its still all in tact!

when they prep it, make sure they use an abbrasive pad thoroughly. i asked my friend to apply it up over 1/16th thick and he did without hesitation. just gotta do my floor now!

Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Just to keep things a little fair....our brand new truck that got Line-X is lifting up on the tail gate and on the side of the bed rail. The truck is only 1 month old and the Line-X is only about 2 weeks.

Boss is very...did I say very...not adequate...extremely upset.

Our trucks with Rhino never did this.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Klitch: If you're saying your LINE-X is 1/16" thick, then that's sort of a problem. That's too thin for a bedliner.

Colorado: No bedliner product should peel if applied properly. If it peels, it's a dealer prep problem, not a product problem. Take it back to the dealer, you have a lifetime warranty.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:53 AM
smv
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
smv mentioned Toff. We stripped out a Toff bedliner this week. Toff is a 100% polyurethane similiar to Rhino's Tuff Grip. Toff operates mostly in Texas but is also in a few other states. I'll show you these pics, but a video would have been much better. I had my employee take a piece of Toff and tear it. You can tear it easily. The pics do not show getting the tear started but I think you'll get the idea. You absolutely cannot tear LINE-X this easily, we tried.

My neighbors Toff is just like that. He has some gouged areas and if you pull on them they just break apart. I tried to tell him. He's the type that doesn't really give a rats rump anyway. His truck is just for point A to point B and hauling wood (he's an extremely accomplished woodworker).

Steve

Old 07-28-2007, 12:55 AM
smv
That's not done right. If you have ever watched someone prepare a bed and tailgate

Originally Posted by TruckGasm
Not what I would call an adequate prep job.

properly you would cringe. I know that guy was very happy when he came to get his truck after you fixed it TruckGasm.

Steve

Old 07-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
Just to keep things a little fair....our brand new truck that got Line-X is lifting up on the tail gate and on the side of the bed rail. The truck is only 1 month old and the Line-X is only about 2 weeks.

Boss is very...did I say very...not adequate...extremely upset.

Our trucks with Rhino never did this.

I purchased my 150 new in Sept of 06 and had the dealer rhino lined it for me. Funny thing is they did it for cheaper than I could find anywhere else. Under 300 bucks actually. It has been great and has not yet faded or been damaged in anyway and I use it often to haul things and my 4 wheeler.

Quick Reply: Line-X vs Rhino Lining vs Gator Lining