Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line-X vs Rhino Lining vs Gator Lining

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
Klitch: If you're saying your LINE-X is 1/16" thick, then that's sort of a problem. That's too thin for a bedliner.

Colorado: No bedliner product should peel if applied properly. If it peels, it's a dealer prep problem, not a product problem. Take it back to the dealer, you have a lifetime warranty.

I love my Line-X but my buddy works for a community college and when they got their's they were told there was no warranty since it was not a personal truck.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 AM
As far as I know that would be an issue with the dealer. Line-X doesn't put provisions like this on their warranty, it would be senseless to do that they way they advertise them to be tougher than Adimantium (if you don't know this is a fictional material and is what Wovlerine from X-men has fused to his skeleton and once it hardens can't be harmed in any way by antying).

Old 07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
"sold to individuals for personnel, non-commercial use."

This is from their warranty (yes, including the wrong spelling when they meant personal). Basically, if you use it for work, it is technically not covered - now it becomes how the specifc dealer interprets what non-commercial use is.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:03 PM
BASF bought the polyurethane division of Line-X a few years back. That tells you that Line-X had their act together for a major chemical company to buy their urethane manufacturing operations in the USA.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Bryndon
"sold to individuals for personnel, non-commercial use."

This is from their warranty (yes, including the wrong spelling when they meant personal). Basically, if you use it for work, it is technically not covered - now it becomes how the specifc dealer interprets what non-commercial use is.

I like the way the promote the product for commercial use but don't stand behind it. Another thing to point out to customers when they are shopping for a liner is that the spray-ins are not intended for heavy duty use as they tout.

Got 2 DualLiners sold on the benefits of being better than a spray and the customers are excited about getting them. I just need to be able to get them faster my warehouse doesn't stock many of them. They had had some trouble out of the older ones with the sides wanting to sag and not stay in place.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by torqueaholic
BASF bought the polyurethane division of Line-X a few years back. That tells you that Line-X had their act together for a major chemical company to buy their urethane manufacturing operations in the USA.
Not trying to just be contradictory, but if you follow American mergers closely, it means nothing except BASF saw a way to make money buying the division. Frequently operations are sold because they are not profitable for the seller - and the buyer sees a way to make money in the deal, needs the equipment at the price they can buy for, or any one of a number of other reasons. Another reason might be the seller needs operating capital and determines that division is the most efficient way to get it. The only merger on the horizon recently that was for a well-run, profitable company or division (that I remember) is Air-Tran trying to buy Midwset Airlines.

Not saying the division of Line-X didn't have it's act together, but that is not often the reason you sell something. There are thousands of other reasons that exist. However, unless we could be inside the boardroom discussions (public face and private face often differ) we will never know the real logic.

Personally, I think Line-X is a very well run company that has capitalized on an excellent product. They are living the AMerican dream!

None of this, however, changes that their warranty only covers non-commercial use. Truckgasm might jump in, they might have a tougher "commercial grade" product that is available with a commercial use warranty.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's start with the BASF part. The founders of the company, the Burtin family, sold the rights for a lot of reasons, some of which I'm sure I don't know about. But, some of the reasons I do know about include manufacturing volume and acquisition of raw materials. LINE-X is the largest user of the raw materials right behind Spandex. A company like BASF has much greater capability to negotiate for the raw materials and much more capacity to produce the product. If you think about it, it was a smart move and sort of a no brainer. Part of the deal includes LFDC's (LINE-X Franchise Developement Corporation) control over the actual product formulation and BASF cannot sell the product to anyone else. That's sort of a no brainer also.

The warranty: LINE-X Corp. backs the nationwide warranty for consumer truck beds only. Why? Because there's no end to where this product can be applied, it's not industructable, and a certain application may require steps that are different from truck beds. OK, but why doesn't the warranty cover commercial pickup trucks? I'm not totally sure, but I think it's because LINE-X can't guess of all the ways commercial trucks are used. There's more of a chance that the commercial truck will be used in a way for which LINE-X may not be appropriate than say for a consumer pickup truck. Personally, I wish Corp. would back commercial trucks. However, the individual dealer can warranty whatever he wants to. We apply LINE-X to our local water dept trucks. They are not covered under the LINE-X Corp. nationwide warranty, but if there's ever a problem, I'll fix them for free, forever. LINE-X was the FIRST to offer any type of a nationwide lifetime warranty and still is the ONLY franchised company to offer this type of warranty. Rhino (not a franchise) started theirs in October of 2006. As far as I know, no other company offers this type of warranty. BTW, Rhino's nationwide lifetime warranty doesn't cover commercial vehicles either.

Last edited by TruckGasm; 07-31-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by The_Beast
I like the way the promote the product for commercial use but don't stand behind it. Another thing to point out to customers when they are shopping for a liner is that the spray-ins are not intended for heavy duty use as they tout.

Got 2 DualLiners sold on the benefits of being better than a spray and the customers are excited about getting them. I just need to be able to get them faster my warehouse doesn't stock many of them. They had had some trouble out of the older ones with the sides wanting to sag and not stay in place.
Hey Beast, I'll drop you a line off forum - interested in what this "side sag" on older ones was described as - I've handled virtually all the warranty questions for 3 years and have never had anyone complain about a sag... glad you got things started with us!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Truckgasm, as I said, I expected you could shed more light on the subject of the sale - those things always have at least two faces.

On the warranty, may be worth throwing it at corporate to do something. Kind of a big stretch from limited lifetime to no warranty, in my estimation. I have a bunch of theories (I won't voice here) why they do it the way they do it, even down to using the word personnel instead of personal (that was actually thrown at me once upon a time).

As spray ins go, Line-X is the player - if I were going to ever do something other than a DualLiner, that's where I would go. They just don't survive me.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Which is why I ask, why do they promote then in their advertising as being nearly indestructible and promote them heavily to commercial use.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:27 PM
I have a Rhino in my 03 and love it, but have it covered with a roll top cover most of the time. I put it in for the "when I need to use it as a truck" also and couldn't be happier. A co worker has a Chevy with LIne X and its all fadded and not as black as it once was. To each his own.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason why your Rhino has not faded is because you have it shielded from the sun. LINE-X with Xtra resists fading even in the sun. You like your Rhino, sounds like you made the right purchase!

Sun exposed Rhino:
Name:  rhino1.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  91.1 KB

Unrelated: Stressful day today. We had an OSHA inspection. No matter how much you prepare, it's still a stressful situation. We are still open for business by the way.

Last edited by TruckGasm; 07-31-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
Unrelated: Stressful day today. We had an OSHA inspection. No matter how much you prepare, it's still a stressful situation. We are still open for business by the way.
Glad to hear they didn't slap you down, there's no telling what they will do some days. I have a lot of dealers because of OSHA and the number grows every day!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Glad you made it through the OSHA mess.

The Rhino looks to have some chemical problems as well.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:12 AM
I have had my Line-X for about 9 mos I think and I love it! I used the forklift at my work to load 1250 lbs of patio block on a really crappy pallet in the back of my truck. I had to slide it most of the way with the lift due to the tailgate being in the way, and not a mark in the Line-X. It is tough stuff! If you really want to see side-by-side how they compare, order a sample piece from Rhino and one from Line-X. They will both send a little 1"x1" sample. Rub them together hard and the Line-X will sand down the Rhino in no time. I showed this to a buddy of mine that had Rhino sprayed in his new Dodge 3500, and he was less than happy I love doing that to him!

Quick Reply: Line-X vs Rhino Lining vs Gator Lining