Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Soft Top Tonneau Covers

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Soft Top Tonneau Covers

What do all you guys use to clean the soft top vinnyl tonneaus? Just amorall or are there any special products? and do you have any special techniques or just wipe it down all buttoned up to the truck? Thanks

--AS

Old 10-10-2003, 11:30 PM
cleaner

I think that is a good question. But the only topic that gets an answer is about mufflers!

Old 10-11-2003, 01:59 AM
Re: Cleaning Soft Top Tonneau Covers

Originally posted by AeroSurfer
What do all you guys use to clean the soft top vinnyl tonneaus? Just amorall or are there any special products? and do you have any special techniques or just wipe it down all buttoned up to the truck? Thanks

--AS
I follow this process on my Sportmaster soft tonneau.

-1- Remove it from the truck before I wash the truck (makes washing the bed easier too).
-2- Lay it out in the yard (vinyl side up) and wash it with a good car wash soap (I use Meguiars Gold Class), then rinse.
-3- Dry it off with a towel and let it air dry for a while.
-4- While still off the truck, lay it on the garage floor (vinyl side up) and give it a good coat of 303 Protectant.
-5- Re-install it on the truck and give it a final wipedown with 303 Protectant to remove any fingerprints or debris.

303 Protectant is, IMHO, the best vinyl protectant on the market today (and I've tried most of what's available). I know a lot of folks on this board use this stuff and swear by it. Every piece of exterior plastic on my truck (my dash too) get a good coat of this stuff after every wash. As a matter of fact, Sportmaster recommends it's use on their soft tonneaus.

Good luck.

-Mike-

Old 10-11-2003, 04:38 PM
What BigDeal said. I strongly advise against Armor-All for anything. It has alcohol and will dry out anything it touches. 303 Aerospace Protectant is expensive and hard to find. But, it's worth your effort and money.

It makes the cover look brand new.

Hunt4Fun

Old 10-23-2003, 10:04 AM
I will third that for the 303 Aerospace Protectant.

The warranty on my Extang actually states NOT to use ArmorAll because it will dry out the vinyl, and void the warranty. It requires the use of Extang's 'Tonno Tonic'. The Extang dealer down the street from my office turned me onto 303 instead - saying it was more than the equivalent of the TT, and would not void my warranty.

Very happy with the results of 303, as well as my Full-Tilt.

The 303 is about $10 for the small bottle - but I don't use it for anything other than my cover....

Old 10-23-2003, 01:15 PM
3M 303 Prot. is the best thing since sliced bread for vinyl. Use it inside or out. Protects against UV rad, and won't dry it out.

Armour All is junk by comparison.

My .02 .

Quick Reply: Cleaning Soft Top Tonneau Covers